Which group do you find most annoying?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 05:06:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which group do you find most annoying?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which group do you find most annoying?
Militant pro-lifers

Militant atheists

Militant non-smokers

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Which group do you find most annoying?  (Read 2980 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 09:18:05 AM »

I'm a pretty atheistic person, but I have to say the militant atheists piss me off. They're the people who can't sleep because the word "God" is written on the currency. They're the people who cross out the word "God" on every dollar bill they have. I mean stuff like that is just excessive. There is a difference between not believing in religion and hating religion. By becoming virulently anti-religion they in fact become a cult, which I also despise because a cult implies something that is crazy which is exactly what militant atheists are.

Militant prolifers, people like Jim Inhofe, Tom Coburn, or Sally Kearn who want to vindicate the actions of people who bomb abortion clinics and murder doctors.....that disgusts me. I'm going to refrain from going on further to avoid saying something I may regret later.

I probably have to say out of the three militant non smokers are the most annoying. What the hell is their hangup? Why are they so butthurt about my right as a smoker to slowly kill myself? Smoking is a lifestyle, okay? People who have problems with people smoking aren't anti-smoking, they're pro-assholes.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »

I'm a pretty atheistic person, but I have to say the militant atheists piss me off. They're the people who can't sleep because the word "God" is written on the currency. They're the people who cross out the word "God" on every dollar bill they have. I mean stuff like that is just excessive. There is a difference between not believing in religion and hating religion. By becoming virulently anti-religion they in fact become a cult, which I also despise because a cult implies something that is crazy which is exactly what militant atheists are.

Militant prolifers, people like Jim Inhofe, Tom Coburn, or Sally Kearn who want to vindicate the actions of people who bomb abortion clinics and murder doctors.....that disgusts me. I'm going to refrain from going on further to avoid saying something I may regret later.

I probably have to say out of the three militant non smokers are the most annoying. What the hell is their hangup? Why are they so butthurt about my right as a smoker to slowly kill myself? Smoking is a lifestyle, okay? People who have problems with people smoking aren't anti-smoking, they're pro-assholes.

Love your posts and am glad you're here Mech.

It's not just Atheists who are militant about removing "God" from currency.  I am pretty adamant about that too. As a Christian, I think putting God's "name" on filthy lucre cheapens both state and church.

But your point is well-taken.  I know some Atheists who go out of their way simply to say horrifically offensive things about cherished religious leaders.  One fellow used to refer to Jesus Christ in such a disgusting manner, I had to stop accepting his emails.  Not that it isn't his right.  But I just couldn't read his rants without being deeply saddened. I hasten to say, however, no small number of Atheists in our email string were quick to scold him and remind him that tolerance works both ways.  I am still proud to count them among my dearest friends.  I find them to be "typical" Atheists.  Sadly, however, the atypical ones are usually loudest and most noticeable.  (Same goes for almost any faction.)
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:59 PM »

Yes, i'm the idiot. Because i'm a extremist who forces a way of life on to someone  <_<

But Militant Pro-Lifers are stupid too. They go too far.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 08:46:07 PM »

I said militant atheists because Enziege came to mind immediately, but I think it'd have to be Pro-lifers now that I think about it, just because they make the pro-life movement look so bad.

I've never really seen a militant non-smoking movement.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 01:31:31 AM »

do I qualify as a 'militant atheist'?  (not trying to attention whore, just trying to help my mind put a definition on the term)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »

Here in Oklahoma it's crazy (kind of funny though considering about 25% of the adult population here are habit smokers, I think we have more smokers as a proportion of total population than any other state). Each year the legislator get more and more anal about the smoking issue. Then went from "No more smoking seating sections in restaurants" to "No more smoking break rooms for employees" to now we got bozos like Coburn who want to get rid of it entirely. Funny thing is the more jerky these people get about it, the more people start smoking. Don't even get me started on the "meth problem" in this state either.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 10:05:28 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2009, 11:47:02 PM by Mechaman »

It's not just Atheists who are militant about removing "God" from currency.  I am pretty adamant about that too. As a Christian, I think putting God's "name" on filthy lucre cheapens both state and church.

But your point is well-taken.  I know some Atheists who go out of their way simply to say horrifically offensive things about cherished religious leaders.  One fellow used to refer to Jesus Christ in such a disgusting manner, I had to stop accepting his emails.  Not that it isn't his right.  But I just couldn't read his rants without being deeply saddened. I hasten to say, however, no small number of Atheists in our email string were quick to scold him and remind him that tolerance works both ways.  I am still proud to count them among my dearest friends.  I find them to be "typical" Atheists.  Sadly, however, the atypical ones are usually loudest and most noticeable.  (Same goes for almost any faction.)

Time for my dickhead comment for the day:

I'm against removing the word "God" from currency? Why? Because I think currency and God have something in common: Both are used by many people and later recycled through the system for use by someone else many times and lose value over the years, lol.

Honestly though, I don't care. As long as it's there for me to spend I wouldn't care if it even said something like "Raping babies is awwwwwwwesome!"
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »

Militant atheists, first and foremost.  I would dearly love to replace our current national anthem with the Battle Hymn of the Republic, but I know they will whine if that ever happened...   Roll Eyes

But the most dangerous (as opposed to merely annoying) group are the militant anti-abortionists who endorse the killing of doctors who perform abortions. 
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »

The first option. The others don't actually exist.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »

Enver Hoxha?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 03:34:25 PM »

Time for my dickhead comment for the day:

I'm against removing the word "God" from currency? Why? Because I think currency and God have something in common: Both are used by many people and later recycled through the system for use by someone else many times and lose value over the years, lol.

Honestly though, I don't care. As long as it's there for me to spend I wouldn't care if it even said something like "Raping babies is awwwwwwwesome!"

Your inner Libertarian is showing!  LOL

Well, I get what your saying and actually, your point about people using money like a god or using God like money is quite profound.  That actually has much to do with my view of wanting to protect religion from the state.  (Though I am quite adamant about protecting the state from religion, too.)

I take my Christian faith very seriously (the protestations of one or two here notwithstanding) and I worry that the worship of mammon has come to replace the worship of God in many Christian homes and traditions...sometimes, in my own.  I don't think removing "In God We Trust" from money will solve the problem, no.  But I do think...at the very least...it should be changed to read, "IN THIS WE TRUST".

Truth in advertising, yanno.  ;-)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies