Why can't Mr. Leip just change the colors of Republicans and Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:29:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why can't Mr. Leip just change the colors of Republicans and Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Should Mr. Leip change the colors of Republicans and Democrats even if this means shutting down the site for a while?
Yes

No

I don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Why can't Mr. Leip just change the colors of Republicans and Democrats?  (Read 6731 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 12:48:12 AM »

What's wrong with Lady Gaga?!  I love her!!  My PO-PO-PO-POKER FACE PO-PO-PO-POKER FACE

Well that explains a lot . . .
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 12:53:30 AM »

What's wrong with Lady Gaga?!  I love her!!  My PO-PO-PO-POKER FACE PO-PO-PO-POKER FACE

What's wrong with Lady Gaga?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58:45 AM »

The better question is what's right with her?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 01:05:18 AM »

The better question is what's right with her?

I like some of her music.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 02:13:27 AM »

I'm surprised I haven't seen a post on this yet.  Yeah Yeah I read the disclaimer on the homepage.  I think the guy running this site...his name is Dave Leip, right?

Even so, why can't he just shut down the website for as long as it takes to change the colors?  The BLUE Republicans and RED Democrats are really starting to mess with my mind.  If time is really such an issue, maybe he could hire an expert web designer or something?

I don't mean to be rude but that's just the way I see it.  YES, I know the colors are blue for Conservatives and Red for Labour/left of center parties in Europe...but this isn't Europe.

So, what do you guys think about this situation?  Yeah, my mind can handle the inverted colors so don't even try the pathetic insults.  Clearly, a normal color scheme would make the site better for users.

I look forward to your opinions!

#1 You will get used to it, and for a bit, you will be briefly confused by the other color scheme when you see it.  Eventually, however, you will be able to effortlessly go from one to another.  It's kinda like learning a new language.

#2 If you are volunteering to be the one to change the millions of codes required, at this point, to change to the other scheme, then I am sure Dave would be interested in hearing your proposal.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 02:40:07 AM »

The colors on this website make more sense. Red has traditionally represented leftist political parties, while blue has represented conservative parties.

Actually switching red with blue wouldn't be that hard.  It would be simple enough to use IrfanView or another program to batch process the images from RGB to BGR.  But it would play havoc with the colors used for other parties.

Ideally, the colors would be user customizable, and if Dave ever decides to implement a switch he probably ought to do that.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 03:09:24 AM »

The colors on this website make more sense. Red has traditionally represented leftist political parties, while blue has represented conservative parties.

Actually switching red with blue wouldn't be that hard.  It would be simple enough to use IrfanView or another program to batch process the images from RGB to BGR.  But it would play havoc with the colors used for other parties.

Ideally, the colors would be user customizable, and if Dave ever decides to implement a switch he probably ought to do that.

Doing a download and then reload of so many images stacked in different directories would be tough enough, before one even considers user images and user contents, changing scripts (unless the color part is a called function), etc.  Not to speak on Dave's behalf, maybe I overestimate the difficulty, but it seems like a tough go.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 03:22:03 AM »

Doing a download and then reload of so many images stacked in different directories would be tough enough, before one even considers user images and user contents, changing scripts (unless the color part is a called function), etc.  Not to speak on Dave's behalf, maybe I overestimate the difficulty, but it seems like a tough go.

No, the ancillary issues would be tougher.  Plus I've glossed over the fact that Dave doesn't use gradients of red and blue that would be suited for a simple transform such as I've described.  But IIRC a number of the maps are now script generated, and if he gets it to the point that they are all script generated, changing the color keys either as a default or a user preference would be simple.  However, there are more important reasons than changing colors to do so.  Scalable vector graphics would be far nicer than the pixelated graphics now in place.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »

For one, Republican's win more counties then the Democrats do and the sea of red hurts the eyes. Also, it looks better this way.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2009, 07:55:11 AM »

Oh, these newbies again who expect that since they've joined, we should all bend over and cater to their special visual needs. Sorry, no.

Now quit talking about this and quit whining. Or if not, why not create your own website with the "correct" colours?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »

Did you read Dave's introduction on the main Atlas page East Coastie?

A note about Red and Blue
Note, this site uses Blue for Republicans and Red for Democrats. I know that most media outlets have adopted the opposite color key in recent years (I started building the maps well before the recent "standard"). However, due to the sheer volume of maps on this site, changing them to match the media's recent color choices requires a significant investment in time.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »

Stop giving so much attention to a sock, fellows.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2009, 08:43:56 AM »

Does the color scheme really make a serious difference? No. Why care?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 08:46:14 AM »

The last guy who asked to change the colors got ran off of the forum.  Kept that in mind.  The colors are good he way they are.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 09:13:01 AM »

The site shouldn't change to suit my needs.  

It should change to suit the needs of America.

America sees Republicans as RED and Democrats as BLUE.

For the last 20 years maybe.  Then again the average american is likely to be pretty ignorant about what those political colors have generally been accepted to mean.

For not even 10 years has this been the color scheme. The red state / blue state nomenclature was used by Tim Russert during the lead up to the 2000 Presidential election. Had the 2000 election been over on election night, I suspect that networks would have gone back to whatever color scheme suited them for 2004. However, the election night dragged on for 41 days and the colors and the phrase had a chance to sink into the American lexicon. Books written about the election picked up the color scheme as well, so people think it's been around as a standard a lot longer than it has.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »

No -it's fine the way it is. 

Also, I should warn you that Dave really isn't inclined to do anything that takes much heavy-lifting if he doesn't see the need for it.  If he won't do something as simple as getting rid of redundant boards (and trust me, I don't think I'm asking for much here...), he definitely won't do anything as monumental as changing the entire color scheme of this forum. 
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 11:00:05 AM »

As much as I personally prefer the Red-Republican/Blue-Democratic colour scheme, I see no reason why this site should change over to that.  The current scheme gives it a unique feel I think.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2009, 11:08:59 AM by East Coast Republican »

FLorida guy-I'm not a sock, I really do live in FL and if you ever challenged me with your BS questions, I'd not only ace them but I'd know more about Tampa than you think.

French guy-I'm not whining-this is a simple fact.  You still don't like me because I said America is the greatest country on Earth-something my President believes as well.  Not only do I know about other nations but I've been outside the US more than once (SHOCKER) and I still think this is the greatest country. One of the reasons I think the US is a great nation-if not the greatest on Earth-is beacause we are a nation where Muslims aren't actively discrimnated against socially and in employment which leads to mass rioting every couple of  years.  Racism and riots-what a lovely country that France.  I'm happy to live in a country where that BS doesn't cause riots in the streets.  BlagoHair said any American who calls the US the greatest on Earth is arrogant-that's disgustingly liberal.  So now I can't be proud of my country to the extent where I think it's the greatest on Earth?  You know, I did say it for shock effect but for you to share the belief (which I suspect you do) that every American is arrogant for saying that is just lame. 

I guess President Obama is arrogant.

You got a problem with me, take it to private messages but leave it out of this thread beccause all you ever do is attack me.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:57 AM »

I personally prefer Red = Republican and Blue = Democrat. However, they're just colors, and to say that one or the other is superior is stupid and a waste of time. I switch between the two schemes effortlessly, and what colors you use are really irrelevant. I could use neon pink for Democrats and dark brown for Republicans, and it wouldn't matter (it would be annoying, but they're simply colors that represent something).
East Coast Republican

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 11:23:53 AM »

Someone just told me the French guy is Canadian.

Canada-DEGRASSI!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »

French guy-I'm not whining-this is a simple fact.  You still don't like me because I said America is the greatest country on Earth-something my President believes as well.  Not only do I know about other nations but I've been outside the US more than once (SHOCKER) and I still think this is the greatest country. One of the reasons I think the US is a great nation-if not the greatest on Earth-is beacause we are a nation where Muslims aren't actively discrimnated against socially and in employment which leads to mass rioting every couple of  years.  Racism and riots-what a lovely country that France.  I'm happy to live in a country where that BS doesn't cause riots in the streets.  BlagoHair said any American who calls the US the greatest on Earth is arrogant-that's disgustingly liberal.  So now I can't be proud of my country to the extent where I think it's the greatest on Earth?  You know, I did say it for shock effect but for you to share the belief (which I suspect you do) that every American is arrogant for saying that is just lame. 

I guess President Obama is arrogant.

You got a problem with me, take it to private messages but leave it out of this thread beccause all you ever do is attack me.

Ah, you again. For the second time, I don't care about you or your bizarre obsession with me. I remember your post about the US only because you reminded me. I have little time for you, and my post in this thread has nothing to do with "hatred" for you. Shockingly, you've been successful in turning my post into yet another long rant on how awful of a country France is and how I shouldn't be proud of my country. Good job, even though I never intended to incite you on another patriotic/anti-Obama/anti-liberal rant. I have no problem with you and I would appreciate if you could stop your petty little obsession with me and France. Trugarez.

FTR, I don't share the belief that Americans are arrogant for loving their country.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 12:22:12 PM »

oh great, another color change troll. Roll Eyes
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 12:35:46 PM »

For the last 20 years maybe.  Then again the average american is likely to be pretty ignorant about what those political colors have generally been accepted to mean.

For not even 10 years has this been the color scheme. The red state / blue state nomenclature was used by Tim Russert during the lead up to the 2000 Presidential election. Had the 2000 election been over on election night, I suspect that networks would have gone back to whatever color scheme suited them for 2004. However, the election night dragged on for 41 days and the colors and the phrase had a chance to sink into the American lexicon. Books written about the election picked up the color scheme as well, so people think it's been around as a standard a lot longer than it has.

I was being conservative in my estimate...conservative by not making the period of reference too short.

But yes, I totally agree with you otherwise.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »

First KeystonePhil and now you, the french canadian, think(s) I am obsessed with them.  You're pathetic.  Don't flatter yourself.

You are very ignorant by the way.  You assume that because I'm a Republican I've gone on anti liberal/anti Obama rants on this site.  Hey loser, if you can find any posts in my history that have done that, I'll personally send you a check for $100. 

Oh but you 'don't have the time for that' or you're 'not interested enough in me to take the time for that' or 'you don't need my money.'

Typical excuses for someone who has just been caught in a liberal biased rant against a republican.

Oh and ^^^that^^^ comment doesn't qualify as anti liberal because it's fact.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »

From what I've heard, a former (Bill) Clinton staffer claims to have started the Democrat-Blue, Republican-Red scheme in America.  He says that it started after he sent projection maps to the media outlets with Dem-leaning states in blue since blue is considered more "American". 

It's probably BS, but I'll bet somebody here knows the answer...Yo, Soulty!

Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies