The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:11:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 30
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 64304 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Debate Over Stimulus Shifts to Struggling Automakers
by Vepres

The large stimulus package currently being debated in the Senate includes a section for aid to the Big 3 automakers, Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler. Some of the more left-wing Senators such as Marokai and Fritz are advocating for the nationalization of the big three. However, this has met much criticism from both DA and RPP members of the Senate.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

However, others say that government action is the only way to save the large number of jobs related to the automakers.

[Senator MaxQue]I support helping Atlasian automakers because many workers would lose their jobs if the automaker collaspes. Not because I think than those businesses should survive.[/quote]

The issue is divisive and a compromise still hasn't been reached. Indeed some, such as Dirty South Lt. Governor SPC claim the automaker nationalization is unconstitutional. SPC has stated he will sue the government should that section of the bill pass in its current form.

So far, no amendments concerning this section have been voted on.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »

Here's a county map based on the first preference results of the Mideast Assembly Elections*:

Peter = Red
Officepark = Blue
Swedish Cheese = Yellow
Badger = Green

*This is all theoretical and is no way official
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #277 on: July 24, 2009, 09:33:07 AM »

Interesting map - its nice to know that this Atlasian tradition isn't dead. I'm happy that I won my home county.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #278 on: July 24, 2009, 11:53:26 AM »

Interesting map - its nice to know that this Atlasian tradition isn't dead. I'm happy that I won my home county.
I didn't. :-( 

Oh well, I would have trouble carrying it in a real-world legislative race too (it's more than a tad conservative).
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #279 on: July 24, 2009, 12:03:31 PM »

Oh well, I would have trouble carrying it in a real-world legislative race too (it's more than a tad conservative).

You live in southwest Ohio?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #280 on: July 24, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »

You live in southwest Ohio?

For now lets just say "western". ;-)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #281 on: July 29, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »

Bump. Slow news week.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2009, 10:39:15 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2009, 10:49:37 PM by Midwest Lt. Governor Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Week in Review

- On July 27, President Lief signed the controversial LGB Dignity Bill.

- Also on July 27, President Lief signed The Absentee Voting Bill, which changed the procedure for absentee voting. To post in it, you must publicly notify the SoFA of your request to vote absentee and your reasons for doing so. If he approves you may then vote in the absentee booth. The bill also laid out criteria for who may have valid absentee votes.

- The Enumerated Powers Resolution was tabled after receiving practically zero support. The bill would've required Senators to cite where in the constitution a bill they are proposing is allowed. Even the sponsor, Senator North Carolina Yankee had reservations about it. In fact, he had introduced it on behalf of Dirty South Lt. Governor SPC.

- Peter is suing the government of Atlasia over the LGB Dignity Bill, which he believes is unconstitutional.

- President Lief signed the Identifying Crime Bill into law. The bill required that law enforcement departments will make public all collected crime data unless the data somehow identified a suspect or if it has been collected for a jury trial or criminal investigation.

- The Nuclear Waste Reprocessing Bill, which provided a large tax incentive to reprocess nuclear waste and required it to be transported in low density areas where it would have little impact, passed in the Senate with an 8-0-0 vote. It is currently on the President's desk.

-An amendment to the Atlasian National Healthcare Bill appears to have passed. It clarified points in the regional administration of the bill. Additionally, a number of people including Senator Marokai and President Lief have voiced their opposition to so called "sin taxes", taxes on cigerettes and alcohol, stating that they believed their current rate, 50%, is already too high.

- The automaker relief section of the 2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill was amended to state that any of the Big 3 was eligible for a $12 billion dollar loan from the government should they request it.

- Due to the potential absence of Attorney General bgwah for the Peter v. Atlasia court case, Senator Purple State has suggested that the filing deadline be extended so the AG can "pop his case cherry".

- Alexander Hamilton announced his candidacy for the Pacific Lt. Governorship.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #283 on: August 01, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »

Haha, I am glad my "cherry" comment was newsworthy. Wink

One more piece of news, the Convention officially closed on Friday. Not sure if you are working on a piece for that. It was easy to miss with the vote lasting two weeks.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #284 on: August 01, 2009, 10:52:58 PM »

Haha, I am glad my "cherry" comment was newsworthy. Wink

One more piece of news, the Convention officially closed on Friday. Not sure if you are working on a piece for that. It was easy to miss with the vote lasting two weeks.

I didn't even know that. I have been ignoring that board lately. Yeah, I'll write a detailed piece on it.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #285 on: August 01, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »

I also have been updating Atlasian foreign policy.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #286 on: August 01, 2009, 11:19:45 PM »

Yea but no one cares about the DoEA
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #287 on: August 01, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »

Yea but no one cares about the DoEA

Hopefully an active GM will change that. Some foreign events would be nice.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #288 on: August 01, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »

I'll report on that another time. Sorry I missed it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2009, 01:47:06 AM »

The AIAL is also making endorsements; you may want to report on that.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »

The AIAL is also making endorsements; you may want to report on that.

As soon as you make them, I'll report them.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #291 on: August 05, 2009, 09:25:20 PM »

Where's the LNF? We are important. Angry
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #292 on: August 05, 2009, 11:29:26 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
ConCon Comes to a Close
By Vepres

After many months, the Constitutional Convention has come to a close. The ConCon was originally opened at the beginning of President bgwah's second term. At the time, Atlasia was very inactive, with little activity outside the Senate. At the time there was a real push for reform to get the game active again.

One of the first proposals right off the bat was a universalism proposal by Smid. Universalism is basically a system where every citizen would be in a government position of some kind. These universalist bills made great progress, but never amounted to anything as the convention's activity slowly fell. One of the major proponents of the unversalist system, ilikeverin, had this to say:

Indeed, there was protest to retain the status quo. Upon his return to Atlasia, Fritz immediately protested the convention stating that the system need not be changed. It was not long after that thread that the convention faded and eventually entered total inactivity. Finally, an Op-Ed, written by yours truly, questioning the point of the convention was published in the Sentinel. Many agreed with my sentiments in the article. Even President bgwah, the one who pushed to open the convention, said that in hindsight it wasn't necessary. Activity in Atlasia had rose significantly in the past few months, and public opinion wasn't behind massive reforms any longer.

Presiding Officer Purple State attempted to shift the direction of the convention by focusing on improving the current system instead of a complete overhaul. Some preliminary progress was made on some constitutional amendments however it was not to be. Soon many of the delegates were protesting a change in leadership, and then some went further and called for the end of the convention. Just last week, the vote to end the convention was completed with a majority supporting ending the convention.   

When asked for comment, Senator Purple State had a positive view of the ConCon.

While some criticized him for his performance as Presiding Officer, ilikeverin was more sympathetic towards the former Presiding Officer.

And so ends the Constitutional Convention. What started as an enthusiastic attempt to bring activity to Atlasia ended with no tangible results. Presiding Officer Purple State believes it did ultimately help, while reformers such as ilikeverin were disappointed at the outcome. Whatever your views, the ConCon was an interesting place where new ideas and thoughts were expressed, and while in the end it could be regarded as a failed experiment, everybody agrees that the now that Atlasia is more active and healthy than it has been in a long time.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #293 on: August 05, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »

While ConCon was a failure, in a sense, we must acknowledge the Purple State was right in creating a new vehicle of ideas and bringing up new debates in Atlasia again.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #294 on: August 05, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »

Universalism proposals were absolutely awful, that's why it started to die out shortly after the initial fuss over the convention. I'm not exactly thrilled with this newspapers subtle favoritism, but, I suppose we're all human and bring our own biases to reporting. Happy to read the newspaper, at the very least.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2009, 11:42:52 PM »

Universalism proposals were absolutely awful, that's why it started to die out shortly after the initial fuss over the convention. I'm not exactly thrilled with this newspapers subtle favoritism, but, I suppose we're all human and bring our own biases to reporting. Happy to read the newspaper, at the very least.

What favoritism? I though ilikeverin would slam Purple State to be honest. I will always try to eliminate bias and favoritism, and a watchful eye from the readers is a big help, even more so if I'm elected to the Midwest Governorship.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #296 on: August 05, 2009, 11:44:04 PM »

What favoritism? I though ilikeverin would slam Purple State to be honest. I will always try to eliminate bias and favoritism, and a watchful eye from the readers is a big help, even more so if I'm elected to the Midwest Governorship.

Well, I'm not sure why so much attention was focused on Universalism, it seemed rather out of place. And of course, this newspaper is always kind to Purple State.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: August 05, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »

Well, I'm not sure why so much attention was focused on Universalism, it seemed rather out of place. And of course, this newspaper is always kind to Purple State.

You seem to have an obsession with making claims of RPP members being "biased" towards Purple State and vice-versa.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #298 on: August 05, 2009, 11:48:55 PM »

You seem to have an obsession with making claims of RPP members being "biased" towards Purple State and vice-versa.

You weren't around when this paper was giving Purple State back-to-back headlines. I'm not trying to make a big deal about it or anything, I just wish this newspaper included a bit more varied set of opinions.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #299 on: August 05, 2009, 11:52:53 PM »

You weren't around when this paper was giving Purple State back-to-back headlines. I'm not trying to make a big deal about it or anything, I just wish this newspaper included a bit more varied set of opinions.

Well if that's the case I'm not sure exactly what's posted previous, therefore, no comment.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies