Mike Pence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:14:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mike Pence
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mike Pence  (Read 4333 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2009, 03:21:28 PM »

Does anyone see Pence as a good bet to run in 2012?  He seems to have all the right components to make a strong run for the Presidency, and has been controversy free as far as I know.  Anybody have any comments?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if he ran; he seems pretty ambitious (but then again which members of Congress aren't?). He would probably be a better running mate though, he seems to fit the attack dog role well.

I think he may still have his eye set on being the GOP leader in the House at some point though.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 03:26:48 PM »

Hard to go from a simple Representative to the White House.

But this surely won't hurt him with the base:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/14/pence-obama-should-speak-out-in-favor-of-iranian-reformers/
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 03:30:23 PM »

As I have said I think the best place for him is to be Speaker eventually. I think that if he had one in late 2006 the GOP would be in much better shape today in terms of the house.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »

Making stupid statements, like the one you posted, will surely help with a base that idolizes W. and Palin.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »

Making stupid statements, like the one you posted, will surely help with a base that idolizes W. and Palin.

It sounds stupid to you because you have the brain the size of a marble.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »

It sounds stupid to you because you have the brain the size of a marble.

Is there a full moon tonight or what?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 04:01:07 PM »

He might run if we have to choose between Huckabee and Romney (again) and Palin. If those are the Big Three in 2012, I really hope someone like Pence steps up.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »

Does anyone see Pence as a good bet to run in 2012?  He seems to have all the right components to make a strong run for the Presidency, and has been controversy free as far as I know.  Anybody have any comments?

I did.  In fact, if he had sought and won the GOP House leadership...I would have moved him to the top of the list among those who WILL run. 

Unfortunately for Pence (and fortunately for America?), I don't see it happening.  The only House members who seem to have a serious shot at the White House are those who hold leadership positions in the party.  The others add up to being Kucinich, Tancredo, Duncan Hunter, Bob Dornan and so forth.

Pence has a few things going for him.  He's youngish, good looking and he was known for some time as "Indiana's Rush Limbaugh".  Before running for Congress, he had a statewide conservative talk show.  He's every bit as conservative as Limbaugh but so far -- he doesn't seem to have gone over the edge into racism or hatemongering. I think if you look at his views on the issues and his voting record, you will find someone very much in the mold of Jim DeMint, Saxby Chambliss, Tom Coburn or Michelle Bachman. 

The difference between Mike Pence and Michelle Bachman is that Pence can call you a fake American with a smile.  He is not likely to have a macaca moment.

Against Pence, aside from his lack of a leadership position in the House, is that everything he brings to the table for Republicans -- someone else, with a lot more money, will bring.  Huckabee, Palin, Sanford, DeMint...any of them would have basically the same supporters as Pence.  But loads of cash.

Had Pence grabbed Boehner's job and really managed to shake some things up, it would be an entirely different story.  All those Sanford and Huckabee fans might be tempted to desert in favor of Pence, who was viewed at one time as the second coming of Newt.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 05:39:18 PM »

Thanks, JS.  Is there any chance he runs to replace Lugar, or do you think he just wants to stay in the House?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 05:46:39 PM »

Thanks, JS.  Is there any chance he runs to replace Lugar, or do you think he just wants to stay in the House?

My guess would be Governor after Daniels.  But he could surely claim Lugar's seat if "Nixon's Favorite Mayor" chose to call it a career.  Let us hope Lugar remains in the Senate at least as long as Bob Byrd...or until he has seen to conclusion his work with Sam Nunn on the matter of loose nukes.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »

I did.  In fact, if he had sought and won the GOP House leadership...I would have moved him to the top of the list among those who WILL run. 

Unfortunately for Pence (and fortunately for America?), I don't see it happening.  The only House members who seem to have a serious shot at the White House are those who hold leadership positions in the party.  The others add up to being Kucinich, Tancredo, Duncan Hunter, Bob Dornan and so forth.

Pence has a few things going for him.  He's youngish, good looking and he was known for some time as "Indiana's Rush Limbaugh".  Before running for Congress, he had a statewide conservative talk show.  He's every bit as conservative as Limbaugh but so far -- he doesn't seem to have gone over the edge into racism or hatemongering. I think if you look at his views on the issues and his voting record, you will find someone very much in the mold of Jim DeMint, Saxby Chambliss, Tom Coburn or Michelle Bachman. 

The difference between Mike Pence and Michelle Bachman is that Pence can call you a fake American with a smile.  He is not likely to have a macaca moment.

Against Pence, aside from his lack of a leadership position in the House, is that everything he brings to the table for Republicans -- someone else, with a lot more money, will bring.  Huckabee, Palin, Sanford, DeMint...any of them would have basically the same supporters as Pence.  But loads of cash.

Had Pence grabbed Boehner's job and really managed to shake some things up, it would be an entirely different story.  All those Sanford and Huckabee fans might be tempted to desert in favor of Pence, who was viewed at one time as the second coming of Newt.

Some still view him as the second coming of Newt. Newt didn't try to oust Bob Michel, instead he waited for him to retire. Pence probably figures that thats his best hope to become minority leader is to hope the same thing happens to Boehner while at the same time praying that Cantor runs for the Senate or gets picked as Veep in 2012. And plus all he could have done was screwed a lot of corrupt congressmen out of the chairmenships leading to a large wave of retirements particulary on the Appropriations committee, many of whom represent swing districts, so a lot of people would have despised him for cleaning house. Plus he really doesn't have an opening to try to do a 1994 redux till 2014.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »

Um.. He'd be a good contender. But can a congressman beat senators, Governors,and other famous republicans?

Also,It's unlikely he'll run. I 'm gonna start calling him Gov. Pence soon lol. No seriously I think he'll either challenge Bayh,and lose,Challenge Lugar and getted embarrassed,or run for Governor.

Either way I rather see Chris Chocola or Mitch Daniels  run for President.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »

Some still view him as the second coming of Newt. Newt didn't try to oust Bob Michel, instead he waited for him to retire. Pence probably figures that thats his best hope to become minority leader is to hope the same thing happens to Boehner while at the same time praying that Cantor runs for the Senate or gets picked as Veep in 2012. And plus all he could have done was screwed a lot of corrupt congressmen out of the chairmenships leading to a large wave of retirements particulary on the Appropriations committee, many of whom represent swing districts, so a lot of people would have despised him for cleaning house. Plus he really doesn't have an opening to try to do a 1994 redux till 2014.

Good call Yank!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 05:50:13 PM »

Put all your money on Chocola.  He's a sure thing.  @@
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »

I think it's more likely he'll run (even though he's inexperienced) then Mitch, who already denied running.

I love Indiana.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »

But do you know anything about it?
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 06:39:09 PM »

I seen pictures, videos and gotten postcards from friends who visited there.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 06:58:01 PM »

Are you kidding put all your money on John Hostettler. He is such a sure thing he won't even try the last month of the campaign. Grin
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 07:13:40 AM »

My take on it is actually kind of the opposite of yours.  9 months ago, I think Pence actually did look like a strong possibility as a 2012 presidential candidate (at least to run, maybe not to win).  That was back when he was the informal leader of the internal opposition with the GOP caucus, railing against financial bailouts and deficit spending.  That would have given him a niche in the 2012 presidential field.

But now he *does* have a leadership position in the House.  He's chairman of the House GOP conference, which I believe makes him the #3 Republican in the House.  So he's tied to Boehner, and has to go along with messy compromises, and can't throw bombs in towards the leadership, because he wants to move up the ladder himself.  He could have run for prez and possibly made a splash, but now it looks like he's focusing his ambitions on advancing his career in the House.

pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »

Are you kidding put all your money on John Hostettler. He is such a sure thing he won't even try the last month of the campaign. Grin

Hostettler is a idiot. Who the hell pisses off a 55-32 lead? in October? What a idiot.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »

Hostettler is a idiot. Who the hell pisses off a 55-32 lead? in October? What a idiot.

I think it was 55-32 with Hostettler as 32.

My take on it is actually kind of the opposite of yours.  9 months ago, I think Pence actually did look like a strong possibility as a 2012 presidential candidate (at least to run, maybe not to win).  That was back when he was the informal leader of the internal opposition with the GOP caucus, railing against financial bailouts and deficit spending.  That would have given him a niche in the 2012 presidential field.

But now he *does* have a leadership position in the House.  He's chairman of the House GOP conference, which I believe makes him the #3 Republican in the House.  So he's tied to Boehner, and has to go along with messy compromises, and can't throw bombs in towards the leadership, because he wants to move up the ladder himself.  He could have run for prez and possibly made a splash, but now it looks like he's focusing his ambitions on advancing his career in the House.

Boehner no longer has any control left and there is no need for the House GOP to compromise they are at 178 for christs sake. His position is similar to that of Newt Gingrich in the late 80's early 90's, waiting for the people ahead of him to retire so he can make his move. I am hoping that Cantor does the same thing that Trent Lott did in the 1988, run for the Senate, or like Cheney, get appointed to something, so Pence can move up right behind Boehner.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »

Boehner no longer has any control left and there is no need for the House GOP to compromise they are at 178 for christs sake.

Well, OK, maybe compromise wasn't quite the right term.  I didn't mean so much compromise with the Dems as make concessions to the political imperatives of the GOP caucus.  Pence didn't have to worry about that before when he wasn't part of the leadership.  He was free to make principled stands on any issue he wanted.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 11:00:32 PM »

I like him - I could definitely support him.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 04:19:52 PM »

You're right about the number three slot, Mord.  I was expecting him to try and wrest leadership away from the conservatives and so of recreate the Newt revolution (Pence being ultra conservative).  But working in the system might be smarter and I might accuse Pence of being many things.  But not dumb.

He definitely has multiple options, all of which -- at his age -- could leave time for a Presidential run.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies