Bruno: Austria predicts a ‘catastrophe’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:53:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bruno: Austria predicts a ‘catastrophe’
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bruno: Austria predicts a ‘catastrophe’  (Read 1796 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2009, 02:22:22 AM »

A month before the release of Sacha Baron Cohen’s latest film about a gay fashion fanatic who wants to be “the most famous Austrian since Hitler”, and the Austrian press are already on the defensive.

By Florence Waters
Published: 1:48PM BST 11 Jun 2009

British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen currently still has a massive fan base in Austria, but that is soon to change as the media dubs his latest film “dull”, “insulting” and a threat to the country’s world image – and economy.

Picking up on Baron Cohen’s most controversial lines in the film - “I want to live the Austrian dream of finding a partner, buying a dungeon and starting a family” and “K is for 'Kampf, mein... ze fashion bible written by Austria's black sheep Adolf Hitler” - ‘People Today’ columnist for heute.at, Lisa Trompisch, describes Baron Cohen as a “dull sub-culture clown”.

She writes, ‘it’s hard to decide which is worse: the insult to Austria, or that Hitler should merely be portrayed as a “black sheep”’.

Austrian writers are anticipating that the country may have a similar experience to Kazakhstan, which is still recovering from the pitiless satire directed at the nation by the British comedian’s last film ‘Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan’ (2005).

Baron Cohen’s Borat upset officials in Kazakhstan by portraying the small town of Glod as existing in a backward land of poverty and bigotry. Baron Cohen was threatened with legal action by his Kazakh cast (reportedly paid £3 for their roles in the film), and by the country’s officials.

"We do not rule out that Mr. Cohen is serving someone's political order designed to present Kazakhstan and its people in a derogatory way," Kazakh Foreign Ministry spokesman Yerzhan Ashykbayev said in a press conference on the issue. The New York Times later argued that their attempts to set the record straight resulted only in inflating the film’s worldwide profile.

“Kazakhstan is still suffering their enormous loss of identity… Austria could soon be going the same way,” says the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation (ORF) in an article headlined, ‘Will Nazi replace our Dirndl image?’

How 'Austrian' is Bruno? Papers are speculating that Bruno is based on a real television presenter, Alfons Haider. However, his character is far from typical, says ORF: “Bruno portrays Austria as a country where men holding hands is prohibited by law and draws staggering parallels with the US: in the south, both countries have the same attitude towards homosexuals and foreigners.”The result, this article concludes, is that Bruno could be a “catastrophe” for tourism in Austria.

Other blogs, however, anticipate Bruno's revelation of a home truth: "We can look forward to the reaction of Austrian officials when the gay ‘native’ is put in the spotlight” says a blogger at seitenblicke.at.

Another writes, “this man is proud of his homeland. It could be that we are proud of him too… danke, Bruno.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/sacha-baron-cohen/5505100/Sacha-Baron-Cohens-Bruno-Austria-predicts-a-catastrophe.html

I think most older Austrians (40+) would never watch this movie, as they are unable to deal with sarcasm and parodies  on this isse. For them it's still a taboo. Bruno will mostly be watched by 16-30 year olds here, who will recognize the humour in it and who are more accepting to this issue. So, who will be pissed off in vacationing in Austria by watching this movie ? The Germans ? The "hippie" Dutch ? Those 2 groups make up the biggest share of Austrian tourists and they will not stay away from here just because of a movie.

“I want to live the Austrian dream of finding a partner, buying a dungeon and starting a family”.

Man, even I posted something similar like this here some time ago. Most older Austrians just can't accept the fact that an AUSTRIAN has commited these crimes and not a Muslim foreigner ... Tongue

Anyway, maybe it will increase the debate here on gay rights too, because Austrian politicians are still a bit backwards when it comes to implementing domestic partnership/civil union/gay marriage rights compared with other Western European countries. And this despite the fact that the Austrian population is more "liberal" on this issue than many other countries. In fact, a poll showed Austria to be the 5th most liberal country in Europe when it comes to adoptions of children by gay couples. A first step will be the Civil Union Law that will be enacted on January 1, 2010. But until then the media will need something to critisize ...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 03:49:58 AM »

"We do not rule out that Mr. Cohen is serving someone's political order designed to present Kazakhstan and its people in a derogatory way," Kazakh Foreign Ministry spokesman Yerzhan Ashykbayev said in a press conference on the issue. The New York Times later argued that their attempts to set the record straight resulted only in inflating the film’s worldwide profile.
More to the point, Borat did no damage to Kazakhstan's image but the Kazakh government and media reaction did.

Yes, there is a lesson to be learned here.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »

More to the point, Borat did no damage to Kazakhstan's image but the Kazakh government and media reaction did.

Yes, there is a lesson to be learned here.

That's only because Kazakhstan didn't have any image before Borat.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »

What a load of sh**t.

Ever notice that the Borat Character spends about 10 minutes in Kazakhstan and then travels to the UNITED STATES and digs up our most vulnerable stereotypes?

Get over it... Austrians are such whiny incestuous dictating.....
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »

If anything, Kazakhstan probably benefitted from Borat: it raised the profile of the country in the West, and from what I heard, visa applications to visit Kazakhstan skyrocketed after Borat.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:50:03 AM »

May Bruno come to Austria:

100,000 take part in Vienna gay pride parade

VIENNA (AFP) — An estimated 100,000 raucous participants marched Saturday through Vienna to celebrate the city's 14th annual gay pride parade.

Latex- and leather-clad marchers converged on the Austrian capital's main avenue, many on colourful floats.

Gay rights groups used the occasion to demand once more that Austria's homosexuals and lesbians be granted the legal right to marry.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gTKzV6_KObhLwL6Z1KOZfqZ4apkg
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 01:06:32 PM »

Catastrophe or not, I can't wait. I don't know that I'll like Bruno as much as I like Borat (which I'm watching right now) but it looks amusing. This is the type of humor that I can enjoy with the type of people I usually find to be brainless. I guess the cultural references make it funny for me.
Jacobtm

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 01:18:47 AM »

The rest of the world needs to grow a pair...
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »

I don't Like Sacha Cohen so I don't care.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »

I love Austria and its one newspaper.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 12:20:36 AM »

Which newspaper ?

Btw, the movie received a 14+ rating here in Austria, in Germany a 16+ rating.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »

Which newspaper ?

Btw, the movie received a 14+ rating here in Austria, in Germany a 16+ rating.

The good old Kronen Zeitung. What else?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 12:50:38 AM »

However, his character is far from typical, says ORF: “Bruno portrays Austria as a country where men holding hands is prohibited by law and draws staggering parallels with the US: in the south, both countries have the same attitude towards homosexuals and foreigners.”The result, this article concludes, is that Bruno could be a “catastrophe” for tourism in Austria.

COHEN THANKED FOR AUSTRIAN PUBLICITY

Austrian tourism officials have praised SACHA BARON COHEN for publicising the country in his comedy movie BRUNO.

Funnyman Cohen plays an Austrian fashionista in the satirical film and has come under fire for some its gags, with one of the nation's culture ministers branding his portrayal of Austria "totally inappropriate".

Although most of the scenes portraying the capital city of Vienna were actually filmed in Paris, fans have flocked to Bruno's hometown to take in the local sights.

And tourism chief Norbert Kettner says hotel bookings in Vienna have soared 120 per cent since Bruno's cinema release earlier this month.

Kettner says, "I would like to say, quite frankly, thank you, Bruno!"

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/cohen-thanked-for-austrian-publicity_1110729

LOL.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 01:01:33 AM »

YouGovPsychonomics poll about Bruno and the image of Austria:

80% think it is not impacting the image of Austria, 20% say it does.

78% think tourism will not be impacted, just 8% say it does.

In the age group of 20-29, 0% think it will have a bad impact on tourism ...

23% of Austrians want to watch the movie, 44% won't. Women are more likely to watch Bruno then Men by 27-20.

By age group:

20-29: 35%
30-49: 15%
50+: 6%

http://www.politikportal.at/presseaussendung.php?schluessel=OTS_20090724_OTS0043&woher=
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies