Would you vote against Meals on Wheels?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:27:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Would you vote against Meals on Wheels?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think of a Congressman or Congress Women that votes against Meals on Wheels?
I would not reelect them
I would reelect them
Not sure
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Would you vote against Meals on Wheels?  (Read 4743 times)
Donovan
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2004, 01:12:05 AM »

Dick Cheney voted against Meal on Wheels when he was Wyoming's solo US Representative
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 07:31:02 AM »

Meals on Wheels is a great idea, but it should not be getting government money.    Assuming the politician is good on other issues too, I'd vote to reelect them.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 09:35:25 AM »

Dick Cheney voted against Meal on Wheels when he was Wyoming's solo US Representative

Would you vote in poll put up by a troll?
stry_cat

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 10:55:33 AM »

I don't think this is all that trollish.   Maybe nomo desensitized me to trolls.  I don't think this poll is much of a troll.  After learning this tidbit of info,  I now know that Cheney was at least good when he was in the House.  Maybe he's just fallen in with a bad crowd.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 01:37:54 PM »

If my representative voted for Meals on Wheels, I would not reelect him
NYGOP
nygop
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 02:03:26 PM »

I don't like it, but I wouldn't base my decision on that one vote! Anyone who would is an idiot.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 02:05:33 PM »

That one vote would be a good enough reason to throw the person out of Congress
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 02:18:49 PM »

Meals on Wheels is a great idea, but it should not be getting government money.    Assuming the politician is good on other issues too, I'd vote to reelect them.

Ditto on both. Even if a politician did or didn't do something I wanted that was minor, I would still vote for them if they were good overall. One issue voters are dumb because more than one issue applies to you no matter who you are.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 06:19:59 PM »

Ditto on both. Even if a politician did or didn't do something I wanted that was minor, I would still vote for them if they were good overall. One issue voters are dumb because more than one issue applies to you no matter who you are.

What is data pointed to the fact that Meals on Wheels saved millions on health costs? Would you favor axing funding for it?
raggage

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 02:33:11 AM »

Put one up and we'll see
stry_cat

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 07:26:11 AM »

One issue voters are dumb because more than one issue applies to you no matter who you are.
I disagree.  I am a single issue voter.  Do you support individual liberty or not? 
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 07:49:15 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2004, 07:53:40 AM by TheGiantSaguaro »

There are more issues than this for certain, but no, I would not vote against it. Is it grounds alone for me to not vote for someone like Cheney? No, of course not. I would go into Cheney's experience and knowledge being an asset, but I think I've given that lecture before. Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 08:44:26 AM »

Meals on Wheels is a good program, no matter which side of the aisle you are on.  However, I also agree that it is funded too heavily by US tax payers.  More charity contributions should be sought to help fund a majority of this operation.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 09:24:46 AM »

What is data pointed to the fact that Meals on Wheels saved millions on health costs? Would you favor axing funding for it?

I never mentioned health costs - don't know why that even came up. And yes, I would axe funding for it - forced charity through taxation is stealing. If you made a voluntary tax fund for it it would be different, but nobody should be forced to pay for it.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 11:26:03 AM »

What part of the U.S. constitution says the federal government should do this? It can de done by the states, or by communities or by private contributions. A U.S. congressman who voted against Meals on wheels voted to uphold the constitution as his oath requires.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 02:21:20 AM »

What part of the U.S. constitution says the federal government should do this? It can de done by the states, or by communities or by private contributions. A U.S. congressman who voted against Meals on wheels voted to uphold the constitution as his oath requires.

How is voting against Meals on Wheels upholding the Constitutition? Oh yes, missed it. Amendment 8, clause 4 section 9, paragraph 2 line 5, "The Federal Government shall make all old people starve and die lonely".

Thanks for letting us know.

But I think they should repeal that section. I think keeping the elderly company, and fed reduces medical costs of depression and starvation. I also think that it improves the quality of life for the elderly.

Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2004, 02:24:04 AM »

Meals on Wheels is a good program, no matter which side of the aisle you are on.  However, I also agree that it is funded too heavily by US tax payers.  More charity contributions should be sought to help fund a majority of this operation.

You know how to write a check, what is stopping you?
stry_cat

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2004, 11:36:31 AM »

How is voting against Meals on Wheels upholding the Constitutition? Oh yes, missed it. Amendment 8, clause 4 section 9, paragraph 2 line 5, "The Federal Government shall make all old people starve and die lonely".

But I think they should repeal that section. I think keeping the elderly company, and fed reduces medical costs of depression and starvation. I also think that it improves the quality of life for the elderly.

Where in the Constitution does it say the government can rob people at gun point and give it to the elderly who have had all their lives to work hard and save money.  The Constitution is quite clear that Congress only has the powers delegated to  it in Article I Section 8.  Nowhere does Congress have the power to even authorize the Meals on Wheels program.

Even if it were Constitutional, a program that only benefits one small segment of the population while hurting the rest of the population is morally wrong for the Government to do. 

I agree Meals on Wheels is a good idea, but if it cannot find voluntary support to accomplish its mission then it must not be that good of an idea.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2004, 12:17:05 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2004, 06:57:19 PM by David S »

Article I section 8 lists the enumerated powers of the federal government. The intent of the founders was that government had only those powers, but just to make it certain the 10th amendment says it in no uncertain terms. Meals on wheels and other handout programs are not in the constitution.

If you are determined to have Meals on Wheels run by the government, do it at the state level. Then at least its not unconstitutional.
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 09:37:22 PM »

The Federal government should have nothing to do with Meals on Wheels, only Bombs on Planes.  I consider it a ballsy move to vote against that program.  Good for Dick.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies