god=caring?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:07:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  god=caring?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: god=caring?  (Read 8173 times)
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:59:12 AM »

Is God really an all caring god? if he wants the best for us why is there suffering?
opinions?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:23:03 AM »

Yes, good question, and I especially think that people of Gaza for example should wonder about it...
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »

i think no. Because it does not make sense how he can be caring but the world has a lot of suffering.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:06:33 AM »

Maybe an useless precision my "Yes" was "Yes, it's a good question", that's all. Given that I don't believe in what monotheists refers as "God", I can't answer "no" or "yes", for me this concept just doesn't exist.

i think no. Because it does not make sense how he can be caring but the world has a lot of suffering.

Yes, that's why I spoke about people of Gaza, for example, who always say that "God" is with them, and thanks to "God" they are alive, and so on...

There is the same in Christianity in Africa for example, where more people are poor despaired and screwed by all sides of their life, more they will pray and give money in pentecostist/baptist churches...

I think they should wonder about it. Though, that may be easy to say when we are not in their problems but I think they should really wonder a bit more about it...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2009, 11:35:13 AM by Supersoulty »

A lot of shallowness on this thread.  The ringmaster here obviously has a very limited concept of what it means to be truly caring.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »

A lot of shallowness on this thread.
how so?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:21 AM »

I am assuming you are 16.  So, in the mind of a young 16 year old woman, "caring" is A Night to Remember, butterflies, and protecting your loved ones from any trouble that might come their way (no matter how great or trivial) and always shielding them from reality, consequences, and any and all potential harm that might come their way.

That is not "caring".
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »

Yes, in a passive way.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:41:22 AM »

I am assuming you are 16.  So, in the mind of a young 16 year old woman, "caring" is A Night to Remember, butterflies, and protecting your loved ones from any trouble that might come their way (no matter how great or trivial) and always shielding them from reality, consequences, and any and all potential harm that might come their way.

That is not "caring".

She may be only 16, and only understanding "caring" this way, but I think she's far to be alone on Earth throughout believers to see things that way. That's why I personally pushed her point.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »

That is not "caring".
please don't tell me how i think. I think people should endure certain things but genocides are not something that people should have to endure.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »

That is not "caring".

She may be only 16, and only understanding "caring" this way, but I think she's far to be alone on Earth throughout believers to see things that way. That's why I personally pushed her point.

Oh, I agree.  Some people never do get over their adolescent fantasies.  And those people usually end up becoming needy girlfriends/wives, or over-protective boyfriends/husbands, and both types become over-nurturing parents.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 11:47:38 AM »

That is not "caring".
please don't tell me how i think. I think people should endure certain things but genocides are not something that people should have to endure.

So then at what point does God have to step in to be "caring" in your mind?  Obviously, his simply telling us not to behave in such a way is not enough.  Nor is it enough that he wrote his law on the hearts of men, so that they would know to step in and stop such things.

So, what would be enough, in your opinion?

Would it be caring for God to make it so that people are incapable of evil?
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 11:59:38 AM »

That is not "caring".

So then at what point does God have to step in to be "caring" in your mind?  Obviously, his simply telling us not to behave in such a way is not enough.  Nor is it enough that he wrote his law on the hearts of men, so that they would know to step in and stop such things.

I just find the bible to be deceiving. I mean i think that it should read. God is capable of good and evil. Then it would make more sense.

No.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 12:18:25 PM »

That is not "caring".

I just find the bible to be deceiving. I mean i think that it should read. God is capable of good and evil. Then it would make more sense.

No.

Deceiving in what way?

Perhaps you missed the part where Christ said that if you love him you will suffer with him.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »

That is not "caring".

No.

Deceiving in what way?

Perhaps you missed the part where Christ said that if you love him you will suffer with him.
in the way that you have to trust that he is caring and means well. But that events make you think other wise.

Also why would you love someone when you have to suffer for it?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »

That is not "caring".

No.

Deceiving in what way?

in the way that you have to trust that he is caring and means well. But that events make you think other wise.

Love is suffering.  If you love others only when it feels good then that's not love.  That's pleasure.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 12:33:45 PM »

Is God really an all caring god? if he wants the best for us why is there suffering?
opinions?

because man sinned
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 12:35:19 PM »

That is not "caring".

No.

Deceiving in what way?

Love is suffering.  If you love others only when it feels good then that's not love.  That's pleasure.

so when genocide occurs it is because god loves them?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »

That is not "caring".

No.

Deceiving in what way?

so when genocide occurs it is because god loves them?

Haha... okay.  Maybe you need to back up and take a look at your argument here, because you are all over the map.

I already addressed this point, and then you made the claim that the Bible had somehow lied about suffering (I presume your point was that you thought the Bible promised riches and pleasure for those who were good) and how you didn't see how love and suffering could be linked.  As I was going to say, but decided not to, you are making two separate, disjointed arguments here, both of which seem to be lacking in a point.

Answer the question I asked before, when you asked this...

Would it be caring of God to make man incapable of evil?

cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 12:45:21 PM »

and i said no. It would not make sense to have a perfect world.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »

I hadn't noticed that you said no, because at that point, you seemed to be changing the subject.

Okay, then, so you charge that because evil things happen, that means that God is evil, because only an evil God would allow them to happen?
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »

I hadn't noticed that you said no, because at that point, you seemed to be changing the subject.

Okay, then, so you charge that because evil things happen, that means that God is evil, because only an evil God would allow them to happen?
sure. lets go with that.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 12:55:21 PM »

sure. lets go with that.

No, I am asking, is that your point?
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »

sure. lets go with that.

i would not say evil. But generally yes, that would be my point.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »

sure. lets go with that.

i would not say evil. But generally yes, that would be my point.

Okay, so you think that telling people what is expected of them, while granting them the ability to act on their free will is not the act of a "caring" God.

Why?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies