Michigan 2008 Township & City Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:25:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Michigan 2008 Township & City Map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Michigan 2008 Township & City Map  (Read 10942 times)
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:40:55 AM »

Here is a preliminary version of the 2008 Michigan Township Map.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:45:10 AM »

Here is MI with WI and MN
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:20:35 PM »

Excellent job.

Congratulations Dave!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:36:06 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2009, 12:38:23 PM by Senator Realisticidealist »

Great maps! Smiley

Random questions: You have a town map for Kansas in 2000. Is there any chance of getting another one, or was that a one-time deal?

Nebraska, the Dakotas, and Indiana all have the same town system as Kansas and the Midwest states. Are any of those possible?

EDIT: Actually, while I'm at it, what is the status of Massachusetts? Are the maps that are on this forum for Pennsylvania and New Jersey going to be incorporated into the Atlas?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »

I'd always wondered why rural Lake County is so dependably (not overwhelmingly) Democratic.

It's 10% Black though I haven't the slightest clue why... and now it turns out that the most Democratic bit of it is over 40% Black.

Anybody got more info on this place?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »

I'd always wondered why rural Lake County is so dependably (not overwhelmingly) Democratic.

It's 10% Black though I haven't the slightest clue why... and now it turns out that the most Democratic bit of it is over 40% Black.

There's a large prison there that is the primary employer in the county; prison guards are unionized, and there probably is a higher-than-normal-for-a-rural-Midwest-county percentage of blacks employed there too.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »

Why is there such a stark difference in voting patterns between eastern and western Wisconsin?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 12:04:06 PM »

Why is there such a stark difference in voting patterns between eastern and western Wisconsin?

That dark blue splotch in the southeast is mostly the extended Milwaukee metro suburbs which, despite Dem gains in the suburbs nationally, remain rabidly GOP.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »

There's a large prison there that is the primary employer in the county; prison guards are unionized, and there probably is a higher-than-normal-for-a-rural-Midwest-county percentage of blacks employed there too.
Wikipedia has lists of Michigan State Prisons, and of federal prisons.

There are none of either in Lake. (Besides, it would certainly not be in Yates Township - look at the age breakdown on that wiki link.)

HOWEVER, searching a little deeper I seem to have found the real reason: Idle wild is in Yates.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 01:56:09 PM »

Wikipedia has lists of Michigan State Prisons, and of federal prisons.

There are none of either in Lake. (Besides, it would certainly not be in Yates Township - look at the age breakdown on that wiki link.)

HOWEVER, searching a little deeper I seem to have found the real reason: Idle wild is in Yates.

Actually, that's right. They closed that prison about 3-4 years ago. See what old age is doing to me?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 02:03:33 PM »

Actually, that's right. They closed that prison about 3-4 years ago. See what old age is doing to me?
It would still show up in Census 2000 figures.

(And the Wiki list of Michigan state prisons, though not the federal one, included recentish closures - sure you don't have the county wrong? There were two or three in that general area of the state.)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »

That dark blue splotch in the southeast is mostly the extended Milwaukee metro suburbs which, despite Dem gains in the suburbs nationally, remain rabidly GOP.

But isn't there such a pattern in central and northern Wisconsin as well? IIRC Obama did extremely well in northeast Wisconsin and so the divergence doesn't look as impressive on this map.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 03:03:03 PM »

But isn't there such a pattern in central and northern Wisconsin as well? IIRC Obama did extremely well in northeast Wisconsin and so the divergence doesn't look as impressive on this map.

I'm not sure I understand. If you're saying that Obama did well in the suburbs in NE Wis, I can only tell you that that may be true but the Milwaukee metro suburbs are still heavily GOP and the main source of Republican votes statewide (at least for McCain). Why that is will have to be answered by someone more knowledgeable about Wisconsin politics than I. Maybe because the rest of WI doesn't have large enough urban centers to produce the large population of relatively affluent white flight suburbs (which Milwaukee's certainly are).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »

(And the Wiki list of Michigan state prisons, though not the federal one, included recentish closures - sure you don't have the county wrong? There were two or three in that general area of the state.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michigan_state_prisons

Michigan Youth Correctional Facility in Baldwin.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

Eastern Wisconsin is very German in ancestry, while the western part of the state is more Norwegian and WASP. I suspect that this means that the west is more liberal-Protestant. I also suspect that the political split has to do with this, though I don't have any direct evidence for this claim.

The effect certainly predates any modern civil rights/white flight issues in Milwaukee. From a thread (and I also presume map) made by bgwah one time, here's a GOP senate primary in 1946 with the progressive Robert Lafolette in green and the ultra-conservative Joe McCarthy in blue:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=76522.0
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »

I didn't, but I got curious and after a bit of googling it seems Baldwin, the main town of the county, was a major underground railroad town.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michigan_state_prisons

Michigan Youth Correctional Facility in Baldwin.
You're right, I seem to've overlooked that one.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 03:26:42 PM »

These are awesome!!! Especially the MI One.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »

Yay!  Another Jewish conservative on the forum!

Welcome. Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »

Has there been any update on the Michigan data? I see that the results by city/town is still not posted to the Atlas. Just curious what still needed to be done.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »

Has there been any update on the Michigan data? I see that the results by city/town is still not posted to the Atlas. Just curious what still needed to be done.

Thanks Nym - The data I have is pretty good.  I have been hoping to obtain more write-in votes (only about 40% are in the database), but haven't been actively working on these data in a bit.  Any interest in helping to track down some more info?

Dave
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »

Thanks Nym - The data I have is pretty good.  I have been hoping to obtain more write-in votes (only about 40% are in the database), but haven't been actively working on these data in a bit.  Any interest in helping to track down some more info?

Dave

Sure, I'd be willing to do whatever I can. Where would be the best places to go to obtain the data? I'm unfortunately nowhere near Lansing, but I'd be happy to scour libraries/websites.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies