How do you understand this?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:38:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How do you understand this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How do you understand this?  (Read 2994 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »

And what do you think about it?

P.S.: I thank the sig of Ebowed for this picture.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »

It is an excellent ad promoting the truth that when we take god out of the schools we take values out of the schools.  And look what has happen to our society since they removed prayer friom school...

school shootings, teen pregnancy, gay become accepted, drugs become rampent all kinds of problems.  Well, its like that with anything that promotes god awareness whether it is prayer in school, the pledge or teaching science instead of liberal propagande.  Kids become more aware that there is a God and they are accountable for there behavior.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »

The first time I saw it I thought it was actually meant to be anti-christian. Until I saw the "answers in genesis" bit.

I now wonder whether that Kid was the one who killed that abortion doctor.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »

The first time I saw it I thought it was actually meant to be anti-christian. Until I saw the "answers in genesis" bit.

how could it be anti-Christian?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »

how could it be anti-Christian?

Because my mind works in that way which makes the answer an obvious "no". Anyway trying to associate Atheists with murderers is an extreme low, even for these Christians.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 03:47:02 PM »

Because my mind works in that way which makes the answer an obvious "no".

So, to you, God doesn't matter to Christians?

---

Anyway trying to associate Atheists with murderers is an extreme low, even for these Christians.

well, you can't exactly call murderers "God-lovers", now can you?
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »

If you aren't a Christian, you're a murderer.  Disgusting ad.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »

I think it's funny how you could slightly re-arrange the words, change the meaning completely and make the inverse point without any additional absurdity.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »

You very well could if the murderer is religious.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »

No...

1 John 4:20
If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »

No...

If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.

Sorry, that's not how it works. Scripture doesn't set the goalposts. A good example of hypocritical, yet god loving murderers would be those that kill abortionists.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:49:47 PM »

No...

Sorry, that's not how it works. Scripture doesn't set the goalposts. A good example of hypocritical, yet god loving murderers would be those that kill abortionists.

yet, scripture does set the goalposts
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 11:34:05 PM »

For you and others that share a religious belief sure, but not the rest of us. It's like throwing around batting averages if we're talking about steroids.

My point is, murder and other crimes, don't "unmask" a fraud where religion is concerned. Murder and religious belief aren't such opposites that one renders the other incompatible. Plenty kill in the name of God, and no amount of distancing undoes their religious conviction.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:50:19 AM »

First thing I thought was that it buys into the myth that people who don't believe in god don't have any morals, that an atheist doesn't care about anyone since he doesn't care about god so he might just murder you without a second thought. But hey, that's what I see - it could very well apply to an ever broader group of people, though that makes it no less absurd.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 09:29:58 AM »

For you and others that share a religious belief sure, but not the rest of us. It's like throwing around batting averages if we're talking about steroids.

My point is, murder and other crimes, don't "unmask" a fraud where religion is concerned. Murder and religious belief aren't such opposites that one renders the other incompatible. Plenty kill in the name of God, and no amount of distancing undoes their religious conviction.

when it comes to Christianity, murder does "unmask" a fraud
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »

I see murderers get denounced, but I hardly ever see their personal views get renounced.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 10:34:13 AM »

I see murderers get denounced, but I hardly ever see their personal views get renounced.

personal views on what? football?  basketball?  fine dining?
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 10:57:43 AM »

Obviously religious.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 11:11:38 AM »

Obviously religious.

so, what religious views of murderers should be renounced, accept for the obvious one that his killing was justified?  obviously, fault in one area, regardless of the extreme, does not automatically mean that all his religious views are wrong.

so what, exactly, are you complaining about?
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 11:17:39 AM »

Obviously religious.

so, what religious views of murderers should be renounced, accept for the obvious one that his killing was justified?  obviously, fault in one area, regardless of the extreme, does not automatically mean that all his religious views are wrong.

Have you been following this thread, or someone just logs on as you? I'm arguing that murder doesn't exclude "god loving" as you seem to think.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 11:23:06 AM »

Obviously religious.

Have you been following this thread, or someone just logs on as you? I'm arguing that murder doesn't exclude "god loving" as you seem to think.

granted I am a bit confused by everyone's different and independent definitions.

...but, since the billboard was done by Christians, then...by the biblical definition of Christianity, murder does exclude loving God.  And since I am Christian, I hold to that biblical definition.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 12:58:36 PM »

granted I am a bit confused by everyone's different and independent definitions.

...but, since the billboard was done by Christians, then...by the biblical definition of Christianity, murder does exclude loving God.  And since I am Christian, I hold to that biblical definition.

I think the point is that even if one is a believer and loves God, he/she is still capable of commiting biblically defined sins. For instance, can you say with absolute certainty that you haven't committed any sins, even one, since your "rebirth"? Biblically speaking any sin is an affront to God, so if you have committed a sin since conversion it doesn't necessarily mean you don't love God anymore - you quite obviously do.

In the case of murder, some people with religious views commit it because they believe the God they love would want them to do it to stop something. Take abortion clinic bombers for example. Just because they murder abortionists doesn't mean they don't love God - their actions may simply be a poorly thought out way of thinking they are doing his will, in fact. You can disagree that their actions are proper and moral, but it doesn't change how they feel about God.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »

I think the point is that even if one is a believer and loves God, he/she is still capable of commiting biblically defined sins. For instance, can you say with absolute certainty that you haven't committed any sins, even one, since your "rebirth"? Biblically speaking any sin is an affront to God, so if you have committed a sin since conversion it doesn't necessarily mean you don't love God anymore - you quite obviously do.

In the case of murder, some people with religious views commit it because they believe the God they love would want them to do it to stop something. Take abortion clinic bombers for example. Just because they murder abortionists doesn't mean they don't love God - their actions may simply be a poorly thought out way of thinking they are doing his will, in fact. You can disagree that their actions are proper and moral, but it doesn't change how they feel about God.

Sorry, I do not accept your view of what love for God is.  Again, I will quote.  You decide what to do with it:

Like JSJ said, you might as well go bang your head against a wall, for I am not going to exchange the truth of God for a lie.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »

Sorry, I do not accept your view of what love for God is.  Again, I will quote.  You decide what to do with it:

Like JSJ said, you might as well go bang your head against a wall, for I am not going to exchange the truth of God for a lie.

Which is all fine and good - I didn't expect you to agree, I was just explaining the point others were making since you didn't seem to get it.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »

Which is all fine and good - I didn't expect you to agree, I was just explaining the point others were making since you didn't seem to get it.

ok, we're cool
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies