Specific Things in Specific States....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:49:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Specific Things in Specific States....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Specific Things in Specific States....  (Read 1210 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2009, 02:08:29 PM »

Maybe this belongs in the history thread, but I think it certainly applies to 2012, too.

First, thinking of the past...can you give any examples of specific things an administration has done, projects it has championed, legislation it has pushed, whatever -- that resulted or at least was intended to result in winning a specific state?

Hypothetical Example:  President X and a couple of his pals in Congress from Florida arrange for construction of a gigantic federal postal center in the state to sort and direct mail for the region.  Couple thousand permanent jobs, more temporary construction jobs, good economic impact on the state, lots of media coverage...

Second, can you think of something President Obama might do along these lines? 

I realize there is only so much of this thing a President can do without friends in Congress or a friendly Governor/statehouse.  But see what you can come up with...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2009, 03:10:28 PM by pbrower2a »

Maybe this belongs in the history thread, but I think it certainly applies to 2012, too.

First, thinking of the past...can you give any examples of specific things an administration has done, projects it has championed, legislation it has pushed, whatever -- that resulted or at least was intended to result in winning a specific state?

Hypothetical Example:  President X and a couple of his pals in Congress from Florida arrange for construction of a gigantic federal postal center in the state to sort and direct mail for the region.  Couple thousand permanent jobs, more temporary construction jobs, good economic impact on the state, lots of media coverage...

Second, can you think of something President Obama might do along these lines? 

I realize there is only so much of this thing a President can do without friends in Congress or a friendly Governor/statehouse.  But see what you can come up with...

Dams? Levees? Highway projects? Transit systems? Military bases?

That takes a Governor who asks and Senators or Representatives who push such a project. I question whether the President could push things. 

Let's suppose that Obama thinks Michigan unusually vulnerable. Would a "Cross-Michigan Canal" that allows ships to cross Michigan near its state lines with Indiana and Ohio make sense? As added benefits to Indiana and Ohio it would offer ports to such places as South Bend and Elkhart (both cities are badly depressed) -- and connect to the Maumee River in Toledo. It would cut a huge amount of shipping time around the Great Lakes, some of the most dangerous shipping lanes in the world. It give huge benefits to such cities as Milwaukee and Chicago.

Of course it would be very expensive -- but the benefits would be obvious. It might even revive the steel business in Gary. 

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 02:59:33 PM »

If Obama's handling of the auto industry meltdown and takeover of GM is viewed as a success it will likely have a longstanding impact on the Midwest/Rust Belt.  Ohio would be the big win and Indiana would probably stay in play for another cycle.   Really, the effects would be felt across the Great Lakes region.  I know that's not a specific state thing but its something that is happening right now and the results of Obama's actions will be highly important in 2012.

As far as pet projects go I don't see Obama pursuing any of these sorts of things that are geered specifically towards one state.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 03:15:04 PM »

If Obama's handling of the auto industry meltdown and takeover of GM is viewed as a success it will likely have a longstanding impact on the Midwest/Rust Belt.  Ohio would be the big win and Indiana would probably stay in play for another cycle.   Really, the effects would be felt across the Great Lakes region.  I know that's not a specific state thing but its something that is happening right now and the results of Obama's actions will be highly important in 2012.

As far as pet projects go I don't see Obama pursuing any of these sorts of things that are geered specifically towards one state.

So far it seems cheaper than the bank bailout and likely to either create or save more jobs. I'd have let the giant banks fail and let smaller banks take up the slack.

The auto industry seems to have cleaned up its act... just when the financial meltdown hit hard. When other job-creating industries have trouble, an industry so leveraged as the auto industry and dependent upon big lending gets hurt badly.

the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 06:18:41 PM »

Barry Goldwater said that he hated blacks so he could win some southern states.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 08:27:28 AM »

When hurricanes hit South Florida in 2004, the Bush Administration used FEMA to spray cash at the area like water from a fire hose. People who had little or no damage to their homes received checks from the government. There was no oversight for fraud or abuse because the goal was to make the government appear responsive to the maximum level before the election.

Contrast that with hurricane responses after Bush has secured reelection.

In Bush's first term, it was common for events honoring young people, local heroes, etc. at the White House to feature a disproportionate number of honorees from Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. This emphasis found its way, more benignly, into Bush's statements.

I remember hearing in the 1990s that Bill Clinton favored California with projects because of its support, but I don't know specifics. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »

When hurricanes hit South Florida in 2004, the Bush Administration used FEMA to spray cash at the area like water from a fire hose. People who had little or no damage to their homes received checks from the government. There was no oversight for fraud or abuse because the goal was to make the government appear responsive to the maximum level before the election.

Contrast that with hurricane responses after Bush has secured reelection.

In Bush's first term, it was common for events honoring young people, local heroes, etc. at the White House to feature a disproportionate number of honorees from Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. This emphasis found its way, more benignly, into Bush's statements.

I remember hearing in the 1990s that Bill Clinton favored California with projects because of its support, but I don't know specifics. 

Those are two I thought of.  And wasn't the supercollider a sort of political incentive? 

I realize a President cannot pass an edict to say, "build a dam here" or "put an air base here"...but a President can certainly use his allies in Congress and among governors to work together for such things.  And then, come election season in said state, run ads saying, "President X worked with A, B and C to bring safe, clean water to California" or whatever...

I think this would make an interesting book if enough of these could be compiled, and their stories told.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies