The Gay Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 12:16:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Gay Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: The Gay Thread  (Read 17282 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »

re: condoms. I have used them every time but once, and will always continue to use them unless in a trusted long term relationship.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 09:49:05 AM »

Even if I were predisposed to talk about my sex life here, which I'm not, the presence of so many people under 18 makes it a doubly bad idea to do so.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »

I have always used them. Even in a relationship I find it is often easier simply to wear one.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 07:10:25 PM »

I have a gay friend who is consistently troubled by his homosexuality for religious reasons. He thinks he can be cured, thinks that his self-hatred is healthy and tries to justify his conflicting feelings. He recently wrote a note on Facebook about why he believed homosexuality was a sin, and it basically boiled down to "because the Bible says it is." I thought some of you might be interested in my response:

------

I don't particularly like when gay media (or any media, for that matter) vilifies Christianity for being "Bible-quoting haters ... who want to use a book or a deity to impose a personal belief," but that's precisely what a small group of vocal Christians regularly do, and until the rest of the faith grows a collective backbone and stifles a few zealots from justifying their own bigotry with an ancient collection of books, the distrust and the fear and the uncertainty will continue.

There's no consensus on this, as it is a matter of religion in which everyone thinks they're right (and more likely, everyone is actually wrong), but I have always believed that sin only exists under certain conditions:

- The action has to actually be wrong (this is open to interpretation, but a good rule of thumb is when your actions harm at least one other individual)

- You have to know it is wrong

- You have to want to do it

Putting the first two conditions aside, I would contend that no homosexual, bisexual or transgendered person has ever truly wanted to have such an orientation. Fewer and fewer people believe that sexual orientations are a matter of choice – no one wakes up and decides to be gay … or straight, or bisexual or otherwise, for that matter. I have wanted a lot of things in my life, and I have made a lot of choices: I chose my occupation, I chose my friends and I chose my faith, but I most certainly did not chose (ie: want) something as biologically deep-seated and unavoidable as a particular sexual orientation.

The Bible – which serves as the justification for so many of our moral roots and long-held beliefs – is an interesting book; its true value for Christians should be as a spiritual guide, particularly through the New Testament. I find it curious how often we hear a few verses pulled from a recitation of ancient legalese as the first and loudest defense of Christian moral standing (again, it’s a minority, but a very vocal one), and I find it immensely hypocritical that so-called Bible-based Christians will happily eat lobster and not murder their children, when verses in the very same book of the Bible tell them that shellfish are an abomination and if their child curses at them, they’re obligated to kill them.

For any true reconciliation to take place between mainstream Christianity and mainstream homosexuality, Christians as a group must make a major concession:

Admit that the Bible is a less-than-perfect historical document and legal guide, and that it should be used as a blueprint for how people should love each other, not for how they should hate each other. This is a collection of books written between two- and three-thousand years ago, and much of the early work was passed on via oral tradition for thousands of years before writing existed. The early Church fought for decades about which books should and should not be included; after the Reformation, Protestantism stripped away half-a-dozen books that had been part of the Bible for 1,200 years; the Bible itself includes historical contradictions, like two different creation stories, back-to-back, in the first two chapters of the first book! Picking and choosing which parts of the Bible matter and which parts don’t is apparently a Christian tradition, but if the faith truly wants to get to its roots, then the silent majority must speak up and make the true message of Christianity apparent.

The Bible, as revered as it may be, has unfortunately empowered bigotry through a few words from an ancient Middle Eastern tribe. And while I find the spiritual guidance it provides to be a powerful pillar of my faith, if every last Bible on earth were to be destroyed, I would still have my faith. I would still have God. And, while it’s just a hunch, I think the creator of a universe too old to imagine and too vast to understand could quite frankly care less about who’s gay and who’s not.
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.13

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »

Well said. I hope your friend finds some peace Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »

I hope than he will succeed to accept himself without problems a day.
Our path, the gay path, is difficult, he is not alone in this situation.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 12:25:53 PM »

http://coedmagazine.com/2009/06/02/13-most-awesomely-offensive-bruno-moments/

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »

Anyone got any action via this thread yet?  Tongue
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2009, 08:27:10 AM »

I didn't know about Dan the Roman.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2009, 09:02:05 AM »

I hope that's not  your definition of "action"......lol
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »

I hope that's not  your definition of "action"......lol

I wasn't sure of the meaning of the original comment. Hopefully it is not to imply that I got action at the Boston Pride Parade, though if it is, it means my efforts at discretion last week worked far better than I could ever imagined.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »

Are you out of the closet yet? Tongue
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2009, 06:34:43 PM »

Evidently not based on the poll thread. Then again, there were those periods.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »

That was hours ago. I'm different now
Tongue

So like Obama, you stand for change?
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2009, 06:42:57 PM »

That was hours ago. I'm different now
Tongue

So like Obama, you stand for change?
Sure? Not 100% certain what you mean there, but okay. Wink

Bad effort at a joke, undermined by my inability to figure out how to the smiley faces(or any other expression for that matter).
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »

Is it possible to star in a gay production video/movie and still consider yourself str8?  Assuming you don't have sex with other men outside of the job?

Thought this would be the right thread to ask this.

Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »

Is it possible to star in a gay production video/movie and still consider yourself str8?  Assuming you don't have sex with other men outside of the job?

Thought this would be the right thread to ask this.

I don't see why not. It's not like you'd enjoy it. Same goes for fake lesbians.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »

Well gay men in the closet that have sex with women are still gay, right. So yeah, such a person would still be straight.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »

There are def more then 4% of Americans who are gay. Unfortunately , some  are Closeted republicans Sad
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »

Well gay men in the closet that have sex with women are still gay, right. So yeah, such a person would still be straight.
It depends how you're defining it, really. Based on what they're actually able to do (in terms of sexual behaviour) I guess those guys would be bisexual. If you're talking about what they're actually attracted to, they might be gay or bi. You could also be going by what the guy himself identifies as, which in a lot of these cases is straight.

In response to the question about gay-for-pay performers, I believe that a lot of them do identify as straight.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2009, 08:20:52 PM »

In response to the question about gay-for-pay performers, I believe that a lot of them do identify as straight.

Have you looked into this issue a great deal? Wink
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2009, 08:39:39 PM »

There was an episode of Tyra about it Shocked Grin
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »

Whatever you say Tongue
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »

There are def more then 4% of Americans who are gay. Unfortunately , some  are Closeted republicans Sad

Guilty as charged, heh heh.

To be fair, I’m not so much closeted as much as I don’t like to talk about my sexuality. Well, in real life at least. Online I’m much more relaxed about it. But I actually have a really difficult time telling people I’m gay. I’d like to think I’m not homophobic in the least, I gave a thumbs up to a girl I saw who was participating in the day of silence, but it’s just something I have trouble admitting, especially when it comes to complete strangers. Flusters me like nothing else.

I am getting better though, hopefully. I finally listed my sexuality as gay on my Myspace like six months ago. And I have flirted with a few guys, which I utterly suck at. Most of my friends know I’m gay though, and I only lost one due to it, so that’s pretty good. But anyway, doubt I’ll ever be out completely, and you know what? I think that suits me. I can safely say that where I’m at now I’d not lie about my sexuality if asked, and that works for me, I guess.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2009, 11:07:06 PM »

Hmmm, I didn't know that June is LGBT Pride Month. Anchorage doesn't have much of a Pride Parade to attend. I don't even know if there is one. O_o But I'm not much on parades anyway, so I'm not completely devastated. Tongue

Though if there was one, I would try to go. I'd want to see for myself what one is really like to be at.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies