Gay marriage ban upheld in California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 07:08:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay marriage ban upheld in California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Author Topic: Gay marriage ban upheld in California  (Read 22617 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2009, 01:05:44 AM »

A sad day for liberty-minded individuals, though victory is something that is long in coming & we cannot allow ourselves to be discouraged by a few potholes in the road. Hopefully one day California will rejoin Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, & Maine in extending full marriage rights to homosexual couples.

What? The majority of people spoke and didn't want gay marriage. Whether you agree with gay marriage or not the court did the right thing by not going against the will of the people.

Cue the slavery, interracial marriage, and segregation arguments.

Race doesn't equal sexual preference.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »

A sad day for liberty-minded individuals, though victory is something that is long in coming & we cannot allow ourselves to be discouraged by a few potholes in the road. Hopefully one day California will rejoin Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, & Maine in extending full marriage rights to homosexual couples.

What? The majority of people spoke and didn't want gay marriage. Whether you agree with gay marriage or not the court did the right thing by not going against the will of the people.

You're making the argument that the will of the people should be unfettered, which gave us interracial marriage bans, sodomy laws, and segregation, among other things. According to your argument none of these things should have been stopped and left to the people to decide on at a much much much slower pace.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2009, 01:08:27 AM »

If a majority of people would raise taxes by 200% on truck drivers, you would agree because that is ''people will''.
Some issues are too important to be left in the hands of people. See what they did with California's budget.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2009, 01:10:01 AM »

You're making the argument that the will of the people should be unfettered, which gave us interracial marriage bans, sodomy laws, and segregation, among other things. According to your argument none of these things should have been stopped and left to the people to decide on at a much much much slower pace.

Did the people actually go out and vote on those particular issues? Are you aware that segregation was reviled by many localities in the south? Mainly because it hurt businesses and was a pain in the rear involving enforcement. And yes, I believe slavery should have been ended at a MUCH slower pace then what happened in the actual timeline.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2009, 01:10:54 AM »

If a majority of people would raise taxes by 200% on truck drivers, you would agree because that is ''people will''.
Some issues are too important to be left in the hands of people. See what they did with California's budget.

I would agree with it, but the idea of that happening is so nonsensical it would never happen.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2009, 01:12:26 AM »

Did the people actually go out and vote on those particular issues? Are you aware that segregation was reviled by many localities in the south? Mainly because it hurt businesses and was a pain in the rear involving enforcement. And yes, I believe slavery should have been ended at a MUCH slower pace then what happened in the actual timeline.

People voted on segregation in a lot of places, slavery too.  I have precinct results from Multnomah County, Oregon -- voted for both slavery and segregation (85%+ against both) the same year.  What's yar point?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2009, 01:13:30 AM »

Yes, and they voted to keep federal and local representatives in place that supported these policies.

When something like this (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6596687/) still happens in this day and age, I would be terrified to imagine what would have happened without the courts (or the federal government) stepping in.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2009, 01:14:40 AM »

Arrggh I don't know, matey.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:01 AM »

When something like this (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6596687/) still happens in this day and age, I would be terrified to imagine what would have happened without the courts (or the federal government) stepping in.

The wording of the bill had more to do with the closeness of the vote then anything else.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2009, 01:18:55 AM »

I would agree with it, but the idea of that happening is so nonsensical it would never happen.

Well if you sincerely believe in no checks on the public opinion, then I guess you're at least consistent, though I think a non-republican democracy is by far the most dangerous form of free governance. After all, why have a government at all if it will not protect the freedoms of the citizenry?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2009, 01:21:17 AM »

Well if you sincerely believe in no checks on the public opinion, then I guess you're at least consistent, though I think a non-republican democracy is by far the most dangerous form of free governance. After all, why have a government at all if it will not protect the freedoms of the citizenry?

My main point is that it's up for the individual state to decide how crazy it gets with ballot initiatives. While I don't agree with how easy it is in CA to get a ballot going they absolutely have the right to destroy themselves if they wish. Just don't come to me, the taxpayer, asking for a bailout when you FUBAR.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2009, 01:22:58 AM »

The wording of the bill had more to do with the closeness of the vote then anything else.

Okay. You defend racist people and you said than slavery ended too quickly.
However, if somebody would legiferate on firearms, you would be the first to tribunal, to defend your liberties. Strangely, the liberty to be equal no matter your skin color or your sexual orientation is not important.
I suppose than liberties are only important when they have an effect on you.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2009, 01:27:09 AM »

My main point is that it's up for the individual state to decide how crazy it gets with ballot initiatives. While I don't agree with how easy it is in CA to get a ballot going they absolutely have the right to destroy themselves if they wish. Just don't come to me, the taxpayer, asking for a bailout when you FUBAR.

Oh, destroying ourselves is a favorite pasttime in California. Just look at how often & how long we go without a budget.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2009, 01:30:05 AM »

Those rights already exist in California.  The opinion issued by the California Supreme Court was quite explicit that the only thing Proposition 8 affected was the name by which legal documents will use to refer to a "officially recognized family relationship" when it involves a same-gender couple.  Save for the fact that it can't be referred to in legal documents as a marriage, there is no difference, nor can there be without violating the California Constitution.  So almost all of this fuss and fury is not over rights, but instead over the definition of a word! (There is also some justifiable concern over how easy it is to change what is considered a right under the California Constitution, but that is what you get for having a Constitution that allows amendments to pass with a simple majority.)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2009, 01:33:06 AM »

Those rights already exist in California.  The opinion issued by the California Supreme Court was quite explicit that the only thing Proposition 8 affected was the name by which legal documents will use to refer to a "officially recognized family relationship" when it involves a same-gender couple.  Save for the fact that it can't be referred to in legal documents as a marriage, there is no difference, nor can there be without violating the California Constitution.  So almost all of this fuss and fury is not over rights, but instead over the definition of a word! (There is also some justifiable concern over how easy it is to change what is considered a right under the California Constitution, but that is what you get for having a Constitution that allows amendments to pass with a simple majority.)

Gays need real and visible equality, not equality by the back door.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2009, 01:38:35 AM »

However, if somebody would legiferate on firearms, you would be the first to tribunal, to defend your liberties. Strangely, the liberty to be equal no matter your skin color or your sexual orientation is not important.

If I was able to translate that I would respond to you.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2009, 01:41:32 AM »

If I was able to translate that I would respond to you.

I believe the gist of it is, "You're a selfish bigot."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2009, 01:43:17 AM »

Must... resist... urge to... make joke...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2009, 01:46:10 AM »

Ernest is correct though that they have full marriage rights. I got a little too swept up in my rhetoric at that point, so I made a misstatement there.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2009, 01:47:06 AM »

And the wording is used in legal documents is going to affect that?  The legal name is the only difference in California between a "marriage" and a "domestic partnership".  If making the name the same would have any actual real world effect on people's attitudes, then to deal with the evils of racism and segregation we should have simply relabeled blacks as whites and solved the problem once and for all back in the 1960's.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2009, 01:52:47 AM »

This is the right decision legally. California allows amending its Constitution via the ballot box. The end.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2009, 01:56:23 AM »

Okay.
First thing: You defend racist people and you said than slavery ended too quickly.

Second thing: However, if somebody would pass a law on guns, you would be the first to complain than they destroy your liberties. Strangely, the liberty to be equal no matter your skin color or your sexual orientation is not important to you.
I suppose than liberties are only important for you when they have an effect on you.

Clearer?

Joe, indeed I see the joke.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2009, 02:06:42 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2009, 02:08:30 AM by StatesRights Throwback© »

Okay.
First thing: You defend racist people and you said than slavery ended too quickly.

I didn't defend the people. I simply stated that the bill that was put up for a vote was worded badly. That has long since been discussed and proven to be true and the most likely reason for the close vote. And yes, I did say slavery ended to quickly. I personally think that ending it through military action was the wrong course of action as I believe the long term impacts were more negative. I personally believe a graduated emancipation would have been far preferable and less economically crippling to the South.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course I would, defense of my liberties is my paramount objective.

Not true at all. Don't put words in my mouth. I believe in gender and race equality like most folks do. I personally don't believe sexual orientation should be placed at the same level as gender or race but that doesn't mean I believe in harassment/violence against hetero or homosexuals.

Somewhat, yes, but not any more extreme then your average individual who is conscience of politics.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2009, 02:08:04 AM »

So, is California now less liberal than, say, Iowa?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2009, 02:09:14 AM »

So, is California now less liberal than, say, Iowa?

Blame the minorities.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies