Vepres Ends His Senatorial Bid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:47:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vepres Ends His Senatorial Bid
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Vepres Ends His Senatorial Bid  (Read 4526 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:44:19 PM »
« edited: June 04, 2009, 03:45:23 PM by Vepres »

(Note: Campaign stops will placed in future posts)
Welcome! This is my campaign for the Midwestern regional senate seat HQ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vepres gives his announcement speech in the beautiful Boulder, Colorado

Hello my fellow Midwesterners. For those of you who are not familiar with me, my name is Vepres, I am an independent from the state of Colorado (also known as the state of denial). Now, I know the question on many of your minds is: Why is this newb running against an established incumbent? Well, though I am a newb, I assure you that I will reach the 100 post requirements needed to become a senator and that I am knowledgeable of modern Atlasian politics and current events.

But that's not answering the main part of the question which is: Why am I running? Well, I'm sure you're all aware of the relative lack of activity here in Atlasia compared to the past. I'm also sure that all of you want this to change, which is part of the reason I believe my campaign is so important. You see, Senator MasterJedi is an established and powerful politician here in Atlasia who could do something about this lack of activity, but nothing has changed. He has failed to increase activity and the number of voters. I believe that newer, more energetic face in the senate who could actively recruit newbies and encourage his fellow senators to do the same is needed, and I believe I am that senator.

This is not the only issue facing us though. You see, I don't believe Senator MasterJedi represents the small government party the RPP. You voted for a small government RPP candidate, but is he really? He voted against the Atlasia Agriculture Reinvestment bill in the senate. My friends, this bill significantly decreases the federal governments' expendetures and cuts off subsidies to the rich and to big agriculture. Why would anybody vote against this bill? I don't think any other Midwesterner would have, and I wouldn't have either.

Finally, as your senator, I promise to work with the other members, be present for every vote, and add substantive debate to the congress. While our current Senator, MasterJedi, is a good person who has worked hard for the people of the Midwest, it's time for a change. It's time for a newer, younger face in the senate, and believe that person is me.

Thank you.

In the coming days I will outline my positions.

I will also begin to take any questions.   
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »

You should take "Voter; Member of the RPP" out of you sig.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2009, 08:54:37 PM by Vepres »

You should take "Voter; Member of the RPP" out of you sig.

Opps! Forgot about that. Embarrassed

Edit: Got it. I was RPP for about 5 minutes that changed my mind.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 09:29:57 PM »

Good luck!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »

Thank you. I realize I'm running against a popular incumbent, but I will do my best.

Also, if I didn't make it clear above, I am open to questions and comments at this time.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 09:34:26 PM »

Thank you. I realize I'm running against a popular incumbent, but I will do my best.

Also, if I didn't make it clear above, I am open to questions and comments at this time.
oh ok. i guess i will start.

What is your platform?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2009, 10:04:42 PM by Vepres »

My platform is comprised of four planks.

Health Care Reform
This is an issue that doesn't seem to have been addressed in the Atlasia senate lately. I support market-based reforms such as health savings accounts and tax credits for families. Ultimately this is an issue that needs to be addressed by every member in the senate. I believe that the next senate must hold a brainstorming session and then write a bill based on the best ideas. I don't have any specific proposals as I believe that the whole senate must address this complex and politically divisive issue.

Newbie Recruitment
As I read through the board when I first joined Atlasia, it became clear that many members were frustrated with the lack of active newbies. Therefore, as the Midwestern Senator, I will actively recruit newbies that seem to be intelligent and have some political knowledge. I will also encourage my fellow senators to do the same.

Respect of Regions' Rights
The title says it all. I don't want to step on the regions' rights, though the federal government certainly has its place.

Opposition to Big Government
I will emphatically oppose any bill that I believe will increase the size and/or power of the government in a bad way.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »

Amend Constitution to Allow Congress to Dismiss a GM
While this may be addressed in the constitutional convention, I want to make sure this becomes law because I believe an active GM is very important to the future of Atlasia. Should 2/3 of congress deem a GM inactive, they should have the ability to dismiss him. Hopefully this or something like it will be in the new constitution, but it may not make it in.

The Senate already passed a bill doing that.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »

While this may be addressed in the constitutional convention, I want to make sure this becomes law because I believe an active GM is very important to the future of Atlasia. Should 2/3 of congress deem a GM inactive, they should have the ability to dismiss him. Hopefully this or something like it will be in the new constitution, but it may not make it in.

For some reason I thought that didn't pass, oh well, my platform has been changed.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 10:06:57 PM »

that is all fine. How will you recruit newbies when they think that this game takes a lot of their time?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 10:07:47 PM »

For some reason I thought that didn't pass, oh well, my platform has been changed.

Yes it did but the GM is taking the Senate to court over it.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »

really?!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 10:14:37 PM »

Oh, that's probably what confused me. I knew there was controversy, but... thanks for informing me.

that is all fine. How will you recruit newbies when they think that this game takes a lot of their time?

Well, when recruiting a newbie, I will explain Atlasia to them and add how it isn't time consuming, and very fun for a political junkie. If they say they won't join due to time constraints I will respond with something like this: "It doesn't take much time at all if you don't want it to. Indeed, you can be a voter or regional office holder, neither of which will require you to invest large amounts of time into Atlasia. Generally, you only need to check in here every few days to keep up with and participate in current debate and governmental matters (for the second one, that's if you hold political office)." From then on, if they continue to be reluctant, I will craft a response unique to that person (or drop it if they don't seem interested).
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:23 PM »

Yep you can read it here.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »

thanx both of you.
Vepres, if there is anything i can help you with let me know.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 10:23:19 PM »

How do you know he's popular?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 10:25:58 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2009, 10:28:35 PM by Vepres »

Well, I don't know about the Midwestern population as a whole, but the "elites" love him. Just look at his campaign HQ.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 10:29:49 PM »

Well, I don't know about the Midwestern as a whole, but the "elites" love him. Just look at his campaign HQ.

Shrug.  Elections are never about endorsements here, or issues, or anything interesting.  Basically, voters ask:

1) Have I heard of you?
2) If not, do I like the person who I have heard of?

I don't exempt myself from this, though I am happy to report I have heard of you now! Smiley

(that said, I don't follow Senate elections much at all anymore, as nothing the Senate does ever has any impact on anything)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 10:32:02 PM »

Well, I don't know about the Midwestern as a whole, but the "elites" love him. Just look at his campaign HQ.

Shrug.  Elections are never about endorsements here, or issues, or anything interesting.  Basically, voters ask:

1) Have I heard of you?
2) If not, do I like the person who I have heard of?

I don't exempt myself from this, though I am happy to report I have heard of you now! Smiley

(that said, I don't follow Senate elections much at all anymore, as nothing the Senate does ever has any impact on anything)

Well hopefully whatever comes out of the constitutional convention will change that.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 10:37:26 PM »

Yes!  Change!  Yes!  Radical change is what is needed.

Meanwhile, I suggest a PM or two around election season.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 10:40:49 PM »

Yes!  Change!  Yes!  Radical change is what is needed.

Meanwhile, I suggest a PM or two around election season.

I don't even know what to think about your post. Huh
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 11:02:51 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2009, 11:09:09 PM by Vepres »

As other senatorial candidates have done, I will post my positions on bills currently being debated or voted on in the senate.

Nuclear Power Advancement Bill: I oppose this bill in its current form. If an amendment removed the subsidies and left only the tax credits I would only then support it.

Free Communications Bill: A good idea, but there should be heavier, more specific restrictions on the proposed CMT so it could only get rid of blatant lies that can be agreed upon by everyone.

Repeal of the Affirmative Action: I would support overriding the veto on this bill. Reverse racism is still racism. It may in fact encourage intra-racial resentment because a black man who was clearly less qualified would receive a job over a white man. The white man would begin to resent blacks.

Amendment to the Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act: I would vote Aye on the bill. Regional power is good.

Fair Trade Renewal Bill: I would vote Nay on this in its current form. It is too restricting and not specific enough. I could be used to reduce free trade for purely political purposes. II could support it if it is amended however.

Atlasian Tax Resolution: This is a tricky one. I would abstain from this one unless it received major changes.

Modification of the World War II Commemoration Act: Oppose, it is unnecessary.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 11:28:52 PM »

Amendment to the Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act that is a great bill. it would make the black market smaller and the state would let us make more money to help the state.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 09:30:03 AM »

Good luck in your campaign.  As a Midwestern resident, I wish to make clear that I am making no endorsements at this time, and I have made no decisions regarding who I will vote for- in either the Senatorial or Presidential races.  I am looking forward to an active debate on both fronts.  We did have a third candidate for the Midwest senate, but that person seems to have disappeared, maybe will come back, who knows.  I have considered running myself, but ultimately the time commitment involved both in running for office and then doing the elected job has dissuaded me.  For the present, I prefer my role as an elder statesman on the sidelines.

As we have no members of either the JCP or the DA running for this seat, what if anything will you do to appeal to leftist voters such as myself?  I will ask the same question of Senator MasterJedi.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »

Good luck in your campaign.  As a Midwestern resident, I wish to make clear that I am making no endorsements at this time, and I have made no decisions regarding who I will vote for- in either the Senatorial or Presidential races.  I am looking forward to an active debate on both fronts.  We did have a third candidate for the Midwest senate, but that person seems to have disappeared, maybe will come back, who knows.  I have considered running myself, but ultimately the time commitment involved both in running for office and then doing the elected job has dissuaded me.  For the present, I prefer my role as an elder statesman on the sidelines.

As we have no members of either the JCP or the DA running for this seat, what if anything will you do to appeal to leftist voters such as myself?  I will ask the same question of Senator MasterJedi.

In its current form, I may have voted for the fair trade renewal act, as the amendments made it far more reasonable. Ultimately I wish to increase the number of free trade agreements, but we need some form of fair trade laws for countries that we either can't form an agreement with or we have no interest in forming one with. I also probably agree with you leftists on most social issues.

I also want to form a multipartisan compromise bill in the senate for health care reform. Obviously I personally would favor a market based approach, but I believe that this is one issue where every Atlasian citizen, and by extension every senator, should have input in.

Next, while ideally I would favor a flat income tax, if taxes must be raised, than I would favor raising them on the rich first (though not exclusively if they needed to be raised a significant amount).

Finally, I believe in greater restrictions on businesses when it comes to harming the environment. If we don't have a healthy environment, than what's the point of economic activity? After all, we would just be living in a dirty, sickly place, were it not for environmental regulation.

So while yes I tend to be libertarian on most issues, I believe we can find common ground on the issues I listed above and potentially many more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies