Why is it cool to persecute Christians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:53:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why is it cool to persecute Christians?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Why is it cool to persecute Christians?  (Read 23997 times)
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »

You have to love the logic of the haters: "You guys are a supermajority so of course it's fine for us to unfairly attack your beliefs!"

I love how you slip in "unfairly". Very clever.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 10:33:33 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2009, 10:38:00 PM by Alcon »

I'm Jewish so don't lecture me about persecution.  Dumbass.

Wait, what?  Are you arguing that it's OK to mistreat other people, because your ancestors were persecuted?  You're from the suburbs.  Maybe some of your relatives have suffered, and that is terrible and I will not belittle it.  But I don't think you should be lecturing anyone about true persecution either.  It belittles people who are actively, you know, persecuted.  Don't you think? Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »

I'm Jewish so don't lecture me about persecution.  Dumbass.

Wait, what?  Are you arguing that it's OK to mistreat other people, because your ancestors were persecuted?  You're from the suburbs.  Maybe some of your relatives have suffered, and that is terrible and I will not belittle it.  But I don't think you should be lecturing anyone about true persecution either.  It belittles people who are actively, you know, persecuted.

/asshole

No, I wasn't being serious.  Maybe I should have included a smiley in there, just to have been safe.  I totally agree with you, I have no right to lecture people about persecution.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 10:42:45 PM »

...oh.  Sorry, then.  Maybe I shouldn't have edited out "/asshole" at all.  Cheesy
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 10:45:29 PM »

I guess since I'm a bisexual Christian I have to hate myself. I guess that explains why I beat myself a lot . Cheesy
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »

Um so no one has seen the slew of Hollyweird movies mocking Christianity?  Bill Maher has done one at least.  I think more.

Maher (and especially the drunk buffoon Christopher Hitchens) is fond of saying that Muhammad was a child molester.  Some of those people go as far as to accuse Muhammad of misinterpreting epileptic fits as prophecy.  I'm very sure that Maher focuses more vitriol on Christianity because it's more familiar to him.

For the record, I don't like Bill Maher, and as for Hitchens, well...this video cracks me up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPubUCJv58

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Overreact much?  First of all, no one is going to be jailing pastors.  (Though some churches probably should forfeit their tax-exempt status...if you're going to be politically active you should be treated like any other advocacy group)  Second of all, there are a lot of Christians in the US.  You guys don't have anything to fear, especially not from Barack Obama, a devout and pious Christian.

People don't get that they have the right to say what they want, but that doesn't mean they have the right to not be criticized for their views.  If Christianity is so badly censored, why do you guys have TBN, a network that broadcasts 24/7?  I'd bet TBN gets better ratings than Maher's ratings on HBO.

Didn't find it rude.  Just serious overreacting by a representative of America's firmly dominant religion since its founding.  Christianity is not being "oppressed" in the US.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »

You have to love the logic of the haters: "You guys are a supermajority so of course it's fine for us to unfairly attack your beliefs!"

Did anyone say that its fine? Christians may be made fun of in America, but so are Muslims, Jews, Hindus etc. Yet I don't think any of those groups are persecuted in America.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »

I guess since I'm a bisexual Christian I have to hate myself. I guess that explains why I beat myself a lot . Cheesy

You're officially one of my favorite posters. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »

Did anyone say that its fine? Christians may be made fun of in America, but so are Muslims, Jews, Hindus etc. Yet I don't think any of those groups are persecuted in America.

Was that meant to be serious?

Yes, people say it is fine. They're saying so in this thread.

As for the other groups you mentioned, you can't possibly expect me to take seriously the claim that Muslims and Jews don't complain about persecution in some form.

I love how you slip in "unfairly". Very clever.

And very accurate.  Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 11:21:07 PM »

The bigoted whiners have been around for a while.

- Henry Ford The International Jew: The World's Foremost Problem 1921

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »

Was that meant to be serious?

Yes, people say it is fine. They're saying so in this thread.

As for the other groups you mentioned, you can't possibly expect me to take seriously the claim that Muslims and Jews don't complain about persecution in some form.

Who said it's fine? Maybe a couple posters. I bet the vast majority of us don't condone the ridiculous bullsh**t spewed by Maher and his ilk.

And I didn't say that Muslims or Jews don't claim they are being persecuted, just that their claims are just as ridiculous as Christians claiming to be persecuted. As far as I know, no religious groups are PERSECUTED in America. Do you understand the meaning of that word?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2009, 11:25:45 PM »

As far as I know, no religious groups are PERSECUTED in America. Do you understand the meaning of that word?

Here's a little note to my friend: Persecution is not limited to torture and/or killing.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2009, 11:34:12 PM »

As far as I know, no religious groups are PERSECUTED in America. Do you understand the meaning of that word?

Here's a little note to my friend: Persecution is not limited to torture and/or killing.

Definition of persecute.

per·se·cute  (pûrs-kyt)
tr.v. per·se·cut·ed, per·se·cut·ing, per·se·cutes
1. To oppress or harass with ill-treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs.
2. To annoy persistently; bother.

I am guessing you are referring to #2? I think Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and especially Mormons are "bothered" more than Christians in America.( I know Mormons are Christians but many people seem not to believe it)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2009, 11:54:21 PM »

Definition of persecute.

per·se·cute  (pûrs-kyt)
1. To oppress or harass with ill-treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs.

I am guessing you are referring to #2? I think Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and especially Mormons are "bothered" more than Christians in America.( I know Mormons are Christians but many people seem not to believe it)

Ok? And they complain more about it, too. How often do we hear about the evils of anti Semitism or discrimination against Muslims? I'm not saying that they're not right for complaining about the harassment that they receive but it's just a bit annoying how those actions are so frowned upon but it's more acceptable to bash Christians because they're a "supermajority."
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2009, 12:04:52 AM »

Definition of persecute.

per·se·cute  (pûrs-kyt)

Ok? And they complain more about it, too. How often do we hear about the evils of anti Semitism or discrimination against Muslims? I'm not saying that they're not right for complaining about the harassment that they receive but it's just a bit annoying how those actions are so frowned upon but it's more acceptable to bash Christians because they're a "supermajority."

I don't think it is acceptable to bash Christians just because they are a majority. I think previous posters were trying to explain why people like Maher focus much more on Christianity; because they live in a heavily Christian society. If they lived in Turkey they would focus more on Muslims. Now even if I don't like what they say, I certainly don't support silencing them. As long as it doesn't infringe on your right to believe and practice your religion, it should be allowed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »

Definition of persecute.

per·se·cute  (pûrs-kyt)

I don't think it is acceptable to bash Christians just because they are a majority. I think previous posters were trying to explain why people like Maher focus much more on Christianity; because they live in a heavily Christian society. If they lived in Turkey they would focus more on Muslims. Now even if I don't like what they say, I certainly don't support silencing them. As long as it doesn't infringe on your right to believe and practice your religion, it should be allowed.

Of course it ought to be allowed. No one is saying that these dopes don't have the right to spew their stupidity. Just because they ought to stop and I want them to stop doesn't mean I want to legally silence them.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2009, 12:40:42 PM »

Has anyone here seen Maher's movie? Muslims and Jews got pretty badly bashed by it too.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 01:58:30 PM »

Has anyone here seen Maher's movie? Muslims and Jews got pretty badly bashed by it too.

I have and they most definitely did.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »

Overreact much?  First of all, no one is going to be jailing pastors.  (Though some churches probably should forfeit their tax-exempt status...if you're going to be politically active you should be treated like any other advocacy group)  Second of all, there are a lot of Christians in the US.  You guys don't have anything to fear, especially not from Barack Obama, a devout and pious Christian.

This line -------- Barack Obama, a devout and pious Christian may be the most laughable thing I have ever read in the history of the Atlas forums. 

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 12:10:37 PM »

This line -------- Barack Obama, a devout and pious Christian may be the most laughable thing I have ever read in the history of the Atlas forums. 

Even a dead clock is right twice a day.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »

Mostly Christians, though.  Jews and Muslims not so much.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »

Poor, persecuted supermajority.  Roll Eyes

Can someone point to a mainstream movie where Christianity is bashed.  Bill Maher doesn't count, as he doesn't have much of a following.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2009, 01:59:22 PM by Sir Humphrey »

Poor, persecuted supermajority.  Roll Eyes

Can someone point to a mainstream movie where Christianity is bashed.  Bill Maher doesn't count, as he doesn't have much of a following.

Dogma, perhaps?  If that doesn't qualify I have nothing.  An even Dogma isn't so much bashing Christianity as affectionately irreverent towards it.

PS: To anyone questioning my description of Obama's piety, I'd love to hear about Ronald Reagan's or George W. Bush's church attendance rates while in the White House.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »

Dogma isn't a Christian-bashing movie. It even says that God is real and Jesus existed. Nor is it very mainstream either, Kevin Smith is a cult director.

Maher's movie is hardly mainstream at all of course, it was a small independently produced documentary, not a product of "Hollyweird" despite Coburn's remark.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »

And now obama wants to pass laws like they have in Europe where Pastors can't proclaim the word of God from the pulpit if it offends the Gays or such like that.

Can you provide a link on that?  I find that assertion highly dubious.

Did you pay attention to the presidential election at all?  He constantly talked about how much of a Christian he is...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies