Why is it cool to persecute Christians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:56:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why is it cool to persecute Christians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Why is it cool to persecute Christians?  (Read 23995 times)
Coburn In 2012

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »

All the Hollywood types really get into things about helping persecuted minorities.  And this is a good thing not bad.  I think its wrong for example, that people in Tibet are under communism and are badly treated because they are religious.  Those free tibet types are right.

But here is what I don't get.  I could speak up for Buddhists in Tibet or Jews surrounded by Moslems in Isreal.  I could wear a button for all kinds of religious and other groups and be praise for it.

But why can't we speak up for persecution of Christians?  It's rampent everywhere and its considered very much the cool thing.  Even here on the Atlas you can make fun of the Christian posters and make picture of Jesus and dinosaurs that are insulting.  You ban Christmas but you better not touch Kawanza.  What gives
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »

I don't know, ask your right-wing buddies who love Kosovo so much.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »

If people making fun of your beliefs is your definition of "persecution" then you are nothing more than a spoiled rotten child. Last time I checked Christians were the supermajority in this country, so the chances of Christians being truly persecuted here are slim to none, and slim just got shot.

Now there is REAL persecution of Christians in other parts of the world, just like there is for many groups that are minorities in those locales.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »

If people making fun of your beliefs is your definition of "persecution" then you are nothing more than a spoiled rotten child. Last time I checked Christians were the supermajority in this country, so the chances of Christians being truly persecuted here are slim to none, and slim just got shot.

Now there is REAL persecution of Christians in other parts of the world, just like there is for many groups that are minorities in those locales.

This.  Nobody here condones actual persecution.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 07:14:11 PM »

You ban Christmas but you better not touch Kawanza.  What gives

BAN Christmas? LOL. Ban is an awful strong word. Somebody objecting to a nativity scene or putting up an atheist sign isn't in any way the same as banning the holiday. According to this Gallup survey, 93% of Americans, including a majority of non-Christians, celebrate Christmas.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »

Christmas isn't banned, and it's funny you think Christians are being persecuted in America.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:24:42 PM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »

You ban Christmas but you better not touch Kawanza.  What gives

If it makes you feel better, I don't know anyone who takes Kwanza seriously.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 10:44:44 PM »

Only something like 1.3% of Americans celebrate Kwanzaa. Blacks make up about 13% of the American population, so that means even among blacks around 90% don't celebrate Kwanzaa.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 10:50:24 PM »

To think Christians are being persecuted in America is silly.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »

Only something like 1.3% of Americans celebrate Kwanzaa. Blacks make up about 13% of the American population, so that means even among blacks around 90% don't celebrate Kwanzaa.

While the number sounds about right, where did you get the % of people who celebrate Kwanzaa?

That was about what I would have guessed, though.  It's a ridiculous, made-up holiday that has no real roots in any sort of tradition.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 01:45:23 AM »

furthermore, I feel it's disrespectful towards Christians in countries where they actually ARE persecuted.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 02:49:28 AM »

All the Hollywood types really get into things about helping persecuted minorities.  And this is a good thing not bad.  I think its wrong for example, that people in Tibet are under communism and are badly treated because they are religious.  Those free tibet types are right.

But here is what I don't get.  I could speak up for Buddhists in Tibet or Jews surrounded by Moslems in Isreal.  I could wear a button for all kinds of religious and other groups and be praise for it.

But why can't we speak up for persecution of Christians?  It's rampent everywhere and its considered very much the cool thing.  Even here on the Atlas you can make fun of the Christian posters and make picture of Jesus and dinosaurs that are insulting.  You ban Christmas but you better not touch Kawanza.  What gives
To imply that Christians are prosecuted in a country where they are the vast majority and dominate all spheres of public life, while Christians are really abused in many countries around the world, is obscene. It's especially obscene, considering how Iraqi Christians were ethnically cleansed under the nose of occupation forces, sent by a government which you support. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 03:25:33 AM »

furthermore, I feel it's disrespectful towards Christians in countries where they actually ARE persecuted.

Absolutely correct. And Coburn, if you took up the cause of some real persecuted Christians I bet you would be praised for it just as you would for taking up the cause for Tibet. But if you pretend that Christians are persecuted in America then people are going to think you are crazy, and rightly so.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 05:28:35 AM »

For the same reason it's fun to "persecute" (as has been suggested that is the WRONG word for what happens to "christians" in America) fans of winning sports franchises or the sitting President or rich people or cops...if you think a certain group or person has too much "power" and you're not part of that group, you are going to look for ways to bring them down a peg or 3 and when you find one these ways you are going to shout it from the roof tops.  This is called human nature....many humans, even Christians, have these feelings.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 05:29:52 AM »

By persecute, King Coburn means - we have the temerity to not accept that they are 'better than' us.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 01:03:01 PM »

By persecute, King Coburn means - we have the temerity to not accept that they are 'better than' us.

True Christians don't think that way. Many may say they are Christians, but are not. True Christians love and help and treat everyone the same. I would go as far as to say over half of the people who call themself Christians aren't Christians at all.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »

Um so no one has seen the slew of Hollyweird movies mocking Christianity?  Bill Maher has done one at least.  I think more.

It is very much in vogue to mock CHrist, Christians and traditional values right here in America.  And now obama wants to pass laws like they have in Europe where Pastors can't proclaim the word of God from the pulpit if it offends the Gays or such like that.

It may not be long before we see preachers behind bars for simply saying "The bible says Gay is NOT A-OK."  Or for saying abortion is murder or Islam is a false religion.  You say Christians aren't persecuted in America.  Well I agree that so far there are no concentration camps or prisons for conservative Christians.  But it may be headed that way unless we return to the values that made us great.

Just my two cents here I don't mean to be rude to any one.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »

Coburn, I do agree with you that Christians do get mocked in America. But that is our fault. The Church of Christ has lost their voice because to many "so call" Christians go to church on Sunday and act all Godly then Monday through Saturday live like hell. That doesn't send a very good message at all. If the Church of God would start preaching Christ message and not this new age crap they preach the church would regain their voice. If Christians would start living like Christ and not hell itself then we wouldn't get mocked like we do. Christians have no one to blame but ourselves.

Also, please try to write a little better. It is very hard trying to read your posts.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 10:04:48 PM »

You have to love the logic of the haters: "You guys are a supermajority so of course it's fine for us to unfairly attack your beliefs!"

And then there's the ever so popular "I'm Jewish so don't lecture me about persecution..."
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »

I'm Jewish so don't lecture me about persecution.  Dumbass.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »

I have you beat, I'm a bisexual christian so don't lecture me about being persecution. Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »

Y'all aren't doing too bad for yourselves politically or socioeconomically in contemporary America.

I bet fat people are persecuted against more Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 10:31:27 PM »

I bet fat people are persecuted against more Smiley

I'm also fat Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to: