Why is it cool to persecute Christians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:57:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why is it cool to persecute Christians?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Why is it cool to persecute Christians?  (Read 23996 times)
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2009, 01:42:09 AM »

Notice how Coburn didn't answer your questions because he's a fake persona.
Do you have any actual evidence of that, or are you just guessing?  Because I find his persona to be pretty believable.

Why?

people are easily fooled.

evidence #3,258, he ignores these comments in order to get Harry to respond some more.

Yeah, that's why I find it hard to believe that people take him seriously.  He is fun to respond to, though.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2009, 11:48:39 AM »

Notice how Coburn didn't answer your questions because he's a fake persona.
Do you have any actual evidence of that, or are you just guessing?  Because I find his persona to be pretty believable.

Why?

people are easily fooled.

evidence #3,258, he ignores these comments in order to get Harry to respond some more.

I don't see how that's evidence he's fake.  If anything, I would think if he were actually a liberal making fun of conservatives, he'd PM me and tell me so I wouldn't waste time on this thread.  Any brief amount of research he could do on me would tell him I most definitely wouldn't expose him to the forum.

I dont know, he may be fake.  But if he is, he's done a good job of creating a realistic persona.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2009, 11:56:02 AM »

why would he do that?  He wants to waste your time. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »

Why would a liberal want to waste the time of liberals?
If wasting time is his goal, he's most likely a conservative who is either not exaggerating, or maybe somewhat exaggerating his views.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2009, 12:22:09 PM »

ding, we have a winner
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2009, 01:33:06 PM »

If wasting time is his goal, he's most likely a conservative who is either not exaggerating, or maybe somewhat exaggerating his views.

Or a troll who simply doesn't care about ideology.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »

Harry's from Mississippi, he sees people like Coburn all the time.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2009, 11:30:48 PM »

because he wants to make conservatives look ridiculous with silly strawman arguments?
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »

because he wants to make conservatives look ridiculous with silly strawman arguments?

Yeah that's it.  Liberals are the only ones here who look stupid.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2009, 06:04:16 AM »

Gay people have rights and women have control of their own bodies? CHRISTIANS ARE GETTING PERSECUTED! SOMEBODY CALL THE GOD SQUAD!!!
Last time I checked you guys were still a tax-exempt organization, had Christian radio stations, and even had tv churches for people too lazy to make it to church on Sundays. If anything I'd say you're getting benefits.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »

Gay people have rights and women have control of their own bodies? CHRISTIANS ARE GETTING PERSECUTED! SOMEBODY CALL THE GOD SQUAD!!!
Last time I checked you guys were still a tax-exempt organization, had Christian radio stations, and even had tv churches for people too lazy to make it to church on Sundays. If anything I'd say you're getting benefits.

Try being christian on this forum for five minutes.  Ask Jmcfst, vander or others how bad christians get treated here.
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »

I wouldn't go so far as to call forum bigotry "persecution." Sure there are jerks online who will ridicule you for your religious preference, but that's not persecution, particularly because it happens to theists and atheists alike. That kind of bigotry is  just stupidity--not persecution.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »

Try being christian on this forum for five minutes.  Ask Jmcfst, vander or others how bad christians get treated here.

If you're talking about just on the forum, I'd agree that religious persons get a pretty hard time. I am very strongly Atheistic, but lately I have been trying harder to be respectful of the views of Christians.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »

1. It's only the outspoken ones that get a lot of flak, which really comes with the territory of being outspoken. If you want to voice your beliefs then you should be prepared to have them criticized, and if those beliefs are that those who don't believe them are immoral heathens that will be tormented forever because of their non-belief you should damn well expect it.
2. Don't even mention Vander as if he's a real poster. He's clearly a troll.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2009, 10:24:26 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2009, 10:29:42 PM by Mechaman »

If you're talking about just on the forum, I'd agree that religious persons get a pretty hard time. I am very strongly Atheistic, but lately I have been trying harder to be respectful of the views of Christians.

A fellow Libertarian Atheist, how awesome!
Yeah I try to be respectful to Christians too but alot of the ones I encounter don't try being nice to me in the first place. If you don't act like a douchebag, I won't call you on it. It's that friggin simple people.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »

While this is not true of all the Atheists I know, three dear friends of mine are either Atheist or Agnostic and all three are exceedingly respectful of my Christian faith.  One is, in fact, quite the ardent letter-writer about issues of concern.  She has written a number of letters to appropriate officials demanding greater efforts to be made aimed at ending (real) persecution of Christians and observers of other religions.  (In places like North Korea, China and Saudi Arabia.)

A lot of Atheists I know are perfectly content to allow me to be Christian without any interference.  And, while I would welcome the opportunity to explain to them why I think Jesus Christ is who He claimed to be and can make a difference in a person's life, I have always respected their wishes not to be "witnessed to".  (Though I have shared with a couple who have initiated religious discussion, with the mutual understanding that our friendship will not be adversely affected by any disagreement.)

True, some Atheists can be real dicks.  Also true -- at least as many Christians can, too.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2009, 05:01:35 PM »

To be quite simple: innate within the concept of democracy is the notion that everyone retains the right to ridicule your belief system, regardless of how entrenched within the ruling paradigm it may be. If you want to reserve special privileges for Christianity, including an exemption from ridicule and perhaps humiliating scorn, then what you want is a totalitarian theocracy, not a democracy.

Democracy is a meritocratic system. Your views wouldn't be ridiculed if they didn't merit it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2009, 07:20:55 AM »

To be quite simple: innate within the concept of democracy is the notion that everyone retains the right to ridicule your belief system, regardless of how entrenched within the ruling paradigm it may be. If you want to reserve special privileges for Christianity, including an exemption from ridicule and perhaps humiliating scorn, then what you want is a totalitarian theocracy, not a democracy.

Democracy is a meritocratic system. Your views wouldn't be ridiculed if they didn't merit it.
You were doing fine until that last line.  You don't have to have merit to bash something, and many bashers of Christianity come to it exactly that way.  In fact, I'd say almost all bashing of Christianity contains some "broad brushing".

(I'm as guilty of this as anybody)

Basically what I'm saying is just because something is bashed, doesn't mean the basher has merit in his/her actions.  His views may, and probably often are, bashed without merit.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »

You were doing fine until that last line.  You don't have to have merit to bash something, and many bashers of Christianity come to it exactly that way.  In fact, I'd say almost all bashing of Christianity contains some "broad brushing".

Basically what I'm saying is just because something is bashed, doesn't mean the basher has merit in his/her actions.  His views may, and probably often are, bashed without merit.

Yes, like Christians who bash evolution as fake science because they don't understand it, and just use their childish arguments such as the famous 'Oh yeah like we came from monkeys thats so dumb LOL' Even conservative politicians have done this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2009, 03:51:34 AM »

Yep.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2009, 07:26:59 AM »

If you don't act like a douchebag, I won't call you on it. It's that friggin simple people.

Ah, you're taking the course called StatesRights Forum policy 101. Welcome!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »

If you don't act like a douchebag, I won't call you on it. It's that friggin simple people.

Ah, you're taking the course called StatesRights Forum policy 101. Welcome!

Thanks for the introduction!
May we begin the first lesson?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2009, 11:08:07 PM »

You may continue, if you wish, to give special consideration to the Christian Right; for as long as I've been here you've always acted with a measure of political correctness towards them, and I do not expect you to be logically consistent now.

There is always merit in any possible position an individual can take, even if it is subjective - Christianity could have been proven true methodologically, and one would still be justified in an antipathy towards the faith on purely individual grounds: a dislike for its moral system, or even its aesthetic.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies