Anyone else notice that the "bad guys" of the Bible are now mostly Christian now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:32:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Anyone else notice that the "bad guys" of the Bible are now mostly Christian now
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else notice that the "bad guys" of the Bible are now mostly Christian now  (Read 1623 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »

Seriously, even in the region where most are Muslim, their descendants are mostly Christian. Note:

Ancient Egyptians: Now the Christian Copts.
Assyrian Empire: Assyrians are now mostly Christian.
Romans: Goes without saying.

Kind of interesting.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 03:49:22 PM »

How very profound.  Come up with that all on your own, did you?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »

Next thing you'll tell me is that the soldier who speared Jesus became a saint
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »

I'm not making a point of any type. I just thought it was kind of interesting, especially since they are now mostly the Christian minorities among Muslims.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »

well, Muslim Egyptians are for the most part descendants of the Ancient Egyptians just as much as the Copts are.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 05:55:23 PM »

well, Muslim Egyptians are for the most part descendants of the Ancient Egyptians just as much as the Copts are.

Just let him have his little moment.  I think he needs it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 10:42:34 PM »

Native Egyptians are now the predominately Christian Copts. Islam was brought to it by the Arabs, who are not native to there. If you look at a map you'll not Egypt is not on the Arabian peninsula.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:19:49 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2009, 01:44:03 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

Native Egyptians are now the predominately Christian Copts. Islam was brought to it by the Arabs, who are not native to there. If you look at a map you'll not Egypt is not on the Arabian peninsula.

Over the generations, many native Egyptians converted to Islam to avoid paying the Dhimmi tax or to evade persecution (though they had for the most part been Christians before). In any event the distinction between Egyptian and Arab melted away a long time ago, and those terms are now largely political labels. When I visited Egypt, all the Egyptians I spoke to, most of whom were Muslims, defined themselves as Egyptians, and not Arabs, despite the fact that they speak Arabic. In Nasser's time, I suspect they would have identified as Arabs. The Copts speak Arabic these days too if I'm not mistaken.

Would you consider Arabic-speaking Syrians and Iraqis to be Arabs? Neither of those countries is on the Arabian peninsula.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 05:43:50 AM »

You know, oddly enough I've flown Egypt Air many times (it is the cheapest carrier between Bangkok and Manila).  I've always noticed that the staff are HUGE - enormous, strapping, wide-hipped people, both male and female.  Is gigantism an Arab or an Ancient Egyption trait?  I also noticed they're rather pale.

Another interesting thing about Egypt Air - they had a smoking section, well into the 2000s!  Sooooo cool.  I'm very glad I saw it, like so manythings from the old better world (K11, etc.) now only dust.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies