Mass Catholic pedophilia in Ireland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:27:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Mass Catholic pedophilia in Ireland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Mass Catholic pedophilia in Ireland  (Read 12138 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2009, 11:15:12 AM »

While the acts of the individual priests are disgusting, I must say this kinda thing goes on in any institution where adults have access to children even in public schools.  The Church as a whole is not at fault here.  I mean look at all the recent allegations of female teachers boinking male HS students.  Some of them are hot btw.  Do you blame the whole public school system here?  I don't think so.  However, I don't like the fact that there were a lot of cover-ups and simple transfers of priests within parts of the Catholic Church and I also think priests should be allowed to marry.

Completely and utterly uncomparable situation.

And your signature is as dumb as hell.

Thanks for your input.

Say can you do contribute to this in any other way but attack me?  I'd appreciate it buddy.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 12:04:29 PM »

While the acts of the individual priests are disgusting, I must say this kinda thing goes on in any institution where adults have access to children even in public schools.  The Church as a whole is not at fault here.  I mean look at all the recent allegations of female teachers boinking male HS students.  Some of them are hot btw.  Do you blame the whole public school system here?  I don't think so.  However, I don't like the fact that there were a lot of cover-ups and simple transfers of priests within parts of the Catholic Church and I also think priests should be allowed to marry.

Thanks for your input.

Say can you do contribute to this in any other way but attack me?  I'd appreciate it buddy.

Okay then, the comparsion between affairs between second level teachers and their pupils is completely inadequate because the cases you are referring to had a strong consensual dimension (regardless of whether you think a 14 year old can 'consent' or not) while most of the abuse victims in this report were orphans, petty criminals, the abandoned and just happened to be poor and many were pre-adolescent. I have already outlined in my other posts that this was not just sexual abuse and the focus on paedophilia alone actually diminishes what took place in some of these institutions.

Also as the public school - Catholic Church thing, the first point to note here is that we are really talking about religious orders such as the Christian Brothers, the Sisters of Mercy and others who ran these institutions which got backing from the church hierarchy. This led a great deal of covering up of what actually took place, after all this report refers to things which go back as far as the 1920s (I think; possibly early) went onto as late in some places as the 1990s and yet no persecution ever took place during those long decades. Similiarily the report did not name or intends to prosecute any of the offenders who committed this abuse, even though many are still alive. All those media scandals you refer to were usually due to media trials; which shows the desire the prosecute. The real story is not that abuse took place, as that is and was always common knowledge, but the scale of it and how little people actually cared, that includes the state and the department of Education and of course the Roman Catholic Church hierarchy which colluded/ignored all that was taking place (the worst was the occasional moving of priests to different parishes, but that did not take place so much in these industrial schools, which is what the focus of the report is).

Next month another report will be out on Child abuse by RCC, this time focusing not the industrial education system but the maneovures the Dublin Diocese relating to suspected child abusers over a similiarily long period of time. This will include alot of much major figures, including former Archbishops of Dublin, than the Ryan Report did. Except more revelations.

Also a united Ireland is not a good idea. Happy?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »

Thanks for your input.

Okay then, the comparsion between affairs between second level teachers and their pupils is completely inadequate because the cases you are referring to had a strong consensual dimension (regardless of whether you think a 14 year old can 'consent' or not) while most of the abuse victims in this report were orphans, petty criminals, the abandoned and just happened to be poor and many were pre-adolescent. I have already outlined in my other posts that this was not just sexual abuse and the focus on paedophilia alone actually diminishes what took place in some of these institutions.

Also as the public school - Catholic Church thing, the first point to note here is that we are really talking about religious orders such as the Christian Brothers, the Sisters of Mercy and others who ran these institutions which got backing from the church hierarchy. This led a great deal of covering up of what actually took place, after all this report refers to things which go back as far as the 1920s (I think; possibly early) went onto as late in some places as the 1990s and yet no persecution ever took place during those long decades. Similiarily the report did not name or intends to prosecute any of the offenders who committed this abuse, even though many are still alive. All those media scandals you refer to were usually due to media trials; which shows the desire the prosecute. The real story is not that abuse took place, as that is and was always common knowledge, but the scale of it and how little people actually cared, that includes the state and the department of Education and of course the Roman Catholic Church hierarchy which colluded/ignored all that was taking place (the worst was the occasional moving of priests to different parishes, but that did not take place so much in these industrial schools, which is what the focus of the report is).

Next month another report will be out on Child abuse by RCC, this time focusing not the industrial education system but the maneovures the Dublin Diocese relating to suspected child abusers over a similiarily long period of time. This will include alot of much major figures, including former Archbishops of Dublin, than the Ryan Report did. Except more revelations.

I understand your point about the consensual and nonconsensual dimension of this.  I was just saying pedophilia whether forced or not happens at all levels.  And yes, the Church hierarchy did try to cover it up even here in the States.  There were even cover-ups in public school cases as well.  Both were wrong, but not on the level of the Catholic Church.  Regardless of the case, you have to look where a systems of better controls needs to take place.  And the slave labor for a nice vacation house  for the nuns is just deplorable.   
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »

Thanks for your input.

I understand your point about the consensual and nonconsensual dimension of this.  I was just saying pedophilia whether forced or not happens at all levels.  And yes, the Church hierarchy did try to cover it up even here in the States.  There were even cover-ups in public school cases as well.  Both were wrong, but not on the level of the Catholic Church.  Regardless of the case, you have to look where a systems of better controls needs to take place.  And the slave labor for a nice vacation house  for the nuns is just deplorable.   

Well you are essentially right and wrong here. Right in theory, but in practice wrong. As I keep banging on about is that lots of people knew what was going on, knew it was wrong and did nothing for a variety of sociological and personal reasons. If I'm allowed to make an intellectual fallacy I usually bang about (reification) then I would say it was the fault of society, not the Roman Catholic Church itself. The only reason this report exists is because the church is discredited, the reason the church is discredited is in large part due to the abuse scandals of the 1990s and the only reason the abuse scandals are so well publicized nowadays was because in the early 1990s newspapers and television journalists were no longer as afraid as before of stepping on the church's toes, which shows that it was already weakening socially and the reason it was weakening socially.... well, very difficult to say, really due to these complex sociocultural perhaps economic trends which are beyond the understanding of mere mortals, though the perhaps the fact that the generation born in the 1960s began to come prominence in this time played a part (as did some of the - relatively minor - scandals of the 80s plus you had referendums on divorce and abortion in that decade. Both soundly rejected.) All that needs to said is that Father Ted (Ever watched it?) could not have been produced in the 80s let alone earlier.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2009, 01:45:31 PM »

I agree with Gully here. There are always problems in discussing issues that are sensitive, but you have to be open and honest. The humiliation, servitude and mental abuse suffered by children, often not much older than babies if we are to be honest was far the worst aspect of this.

I thought I'd post this here. I've waded through the Irish press as I often do, and I think this reflects things fairly well

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6381318.ece

A storm is blowing through Ireland, its moral outrage unprecedented in the state’s history. For the Roman Catholic Church and Irish society, its consequences will be profound.

The plain-speaking of one man merits lengthy quotation. Michael O’Brien articulated the rage of a nation this week when he appeared on the RTÉ show Questions and Answers, the Republic’s equivalent of the BBC’s Question Time.

He listened patiently to the answers given by politicians to his question about whether the assets of religious orders found guilty by a commission report of systemic, endemic child abuse should be frozen. Then he let rip.

“I went to the commission and had seven barristers there questioning me, telling me that I was telling lies when I told them that I got raped of a Saturday, got a merciful beating after it and he then came along the following morning and put Holy Communion in my mouth.

“You are talking to a Fianna Fáil man, a former councillor and mayor that worked tooth and nail for the party. You got it wrong. Admit it and apologise, because you don’t know the hurt I have.

“My God, seven barristers throwing questions at us non-stop. I attempted to commit suicide. They brought a man over from Rome, 90-odd years of age, to tell me I was telling lies and that I wasn’t beaten for an hour non-stop by two of them from head to toe without a shred of cloth on my body.

“For God’s sake, try to give us some peace and not continue hurting us . . . Don’t say you can’t change it. You are the Government, you run this state. So for God’s sake, stop mealy-mouthing because I am sick of it.”

Thousands have queued this week to sign a book of solidarity for the victims of abuse at the hands of the religious orders, prompting comments including “Ashamed to be Irish” and “Shame on the Church, shame on the State”.

Every day the letters pages of the leading newspapers burn with fury, calling for the expulsion of the Catholic Church from the education and health system, the dissolution of the Christian Brothers (the worst abuser) and the other orders, seizure of their assets and a boycott of the Church’s Masses, its collection plates and charity shops.

What has emerged in the nine days since Mr Justice Sean Ryan, the chairman of the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse, published his report — and what is fuelling the nation’s shame and anger — is the scale of the scandalously rotten deal struck between the religious orders and the Fianna Fáil Government in 2002.

On the eve of the calling of a general election it was agreed that, in return for a cash contribution of €28.5 million and a pledge to transfer property to the state that would bring the notional total to €128 million, the Government would indemnify the religious orders for all claims of compensation from abuse victims and all legal costs.

The final bill to the Irish taxpayer for the religious orders’ decades of terror (the commission considered evidence from 1914 to 2000) is now expected to settle at €1.3 billion. Some of the pledged properties, worth far less now, have not even been handed over.

Fianna Fáil’s pleas that nobody knew at that time the extent of the abuse scandal have been demolished. Its capitulation to the orders is eerily reminiscent of the Commission’s observations about 20th-century State collusion in a system built on fear. Indeed, even though it was known that “violence and beatings were endemic”, said the report, the Department of Education had shown “a very significant deference to the Congregations”.

But the anger goes even deeper. It is as if a dam has finally burst, even though the first revelations about widespread clerical abuse began to appear some 15 years ago. The bitter truth is that everyone knew what was going on inside this young, poor but proud nation.

The judges before whom the children appeared, dragged before the courts and found guilty of “having a parent who does not exercise proper guardianship”, knew that they were stripping them of their civil, legal and human rights as they sent them off to spend years in gulags.

The schools inspectors knew; the politicians knew; the locals who depended on the schools for their livelihoods knew; the citizens who sneered and jeered at the “raggy boys” and the “crocodile boys” and the “orphans” as they were marched through Dublin suburbs on Sunday afternoons knew. Even the media knew and kept its silence (with a few honourable exceptions).

Peter Tyrrell, the original whistleblower, was 8 when he was sent to Letterfrack in the 1920s. Haunted by the experience, his campaigning efforts — culminating in an autobiography in which he described his wartime confinement in a Nazi prisoner-of-war camp as “a tea party” compared with what he endured in Ireland — ended when he took his own life, burning himself to death on Hampstead Heath in 1967.

Tyrrell’s book was only published in 2006. A year earlier the Christian Brothers had admitted that Tyrrell had visited them in 1953 to raise his concerns and was sent away with the warning that he was “working on the blackmail ticket”.

The commission has retrospectively vindicated not just Tyrell’s experiences but those of thousands more. It identified some 800 abusers. To date fewer than ten have been convicted of their crimes.

“It was a secret enclosed world, run on fear,” admitted one Christian Brother in his evidence to the commission. “It was murder of the soul,” said the author and Letterfrack inmate Mannix Flynn, who rejects the term “abuse” as inadequate.

The Catholic Church and its institutions in Ireland are now so badly damaged as to be devoid of moral authority. Its only possible salvation lies in prostrating itself before the courts of public opinion and natural justice.

But even if the will to make amends by seeking genuine forgiveness now exists — and that has yet to be proven — it may be too late. Another report, out next month, will reveal that the activities of hundreds of paedophile priests in the Dublin diocese were covered up. This may deliver the coup de grace.

--------------------------------------

A similar sentiment, diluted only through geography has filtered through to much of the Irish Catholic community in Scotland. There is an anger, an almost unprecidented anger because we know it reflects what happened over here up until the early 80's (as I mentioned at length in a previous post) The only difference being the lack of over arching Church influence on Scottish society and government.

And old, and not so old men and women who were involved linger in retirement homes or dusty parishes up and down the country shielded from it all.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2009, 04:18:01 PM »

And here, for the sake of all of this is the report itself

http://www.childabusecommission.ie/
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2009, 05:45:15 PM »

So instead of a blue wall of silence, they've got a black wall of silence. Really have to appreciate the parallels here.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »

So instead of a blue wall of silence, they've got a black wall of silence. Really have to appreciate the parallels here.

Does. Not. Comprehend.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »

Does. Not. Comprehend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Code_of_Silence
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies