If Universal-Healthcare is great, then why...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:34:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Universal-Healthcare is great, then why...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Universal-Healthcare is great, then why...  (Read 1133 times)
politicaladdict
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »
« edited: May 18, 2009, 09:41:00 PM by politicaladdict »

If universal-healthcare, or as I'd like to say, socialize-medicine is better than the private-sector, then why is it that we don't hear about any deaths under it?

People like to keep saying that a bunch of americans are unasured, but we never hear any deaths solely because of that. They must be able to get the care somehow.

Can someone tell me of any specific cases in which people have dies, like names and stories and such?

Hillary Clinton was interviewing a guy in New York who said someone died or something because she couldn't pay the care. But it turns out he was misleading and they immediately dismissed the story.

Michael Moore pointed out that a girl was denied care and eventually died. But the hsopital she went at was a NON-PROFIT(paid by the government) organization, which is similar to socialized.

They are reports of people who ARE DENIED care in Britain because the government is determining who gets it.

This was an article from a site, "When 89-year-old Jack Tagg began losing his vision, Britain's National Health Service told him he would have to go blind in one eye before it would pay for treatment. In a public campaign, the World War II pilot took on the government — and won."

And there was another case born-Canadanian U.S.-citizen who's a critic of socialize-care but had a mom who was denied certain treatment because she was too old.

And more cases.

So, could anyone tell me of certain cases and names and stories of people who died because they didn't have insurance for private-healthcare?

link to some stories: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91971293
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:44:39 PM »

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:57:19 PM »

People don't die in a private system because they can't afford surgery, etc.?

What about preventive care?  There's plenty of cases where an uninsured person can't afford prophylactic treatment, the condition escalates, and they first get formal care in an emergency room.

Having so many uninsured Americans is a massive drag on our healthcare system.  Socialized healthcare may not be the answer.  But to deny people die under this system...is just plain ridiculous.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2009, 10:20:28 PM by Torie »

If universal-healthcare, or as I'd like to say, socialize-medicine is better than the private-sector, then why is it that we don't hear about any deaths under it?

People like to keep saying that a bunch of americans are unasured, but we never hear any deaths solely because of that. They must be able to get the care somehow.

Can someone tell me of any specific cases in which people have dies, like names and stories and such?

Hillary Clinton was interviewing a guy in New York who said someone died or something because she couldn't pay the care. But it turns out he was misleading and they immediately dismissed the story.

Michael Moore pointed out that a girl was denied care and eventually died. But the hsopital she went at was a NON-PROFIT(paid by the government) organization, which is similar to socialized.

They are reports of people who ARE DENIED care in Britain because the government is determining who gets it.

This was an article from a site, "When 89-year-old Jack Tagg began losing his vision, Britain's National Health Service told him he would have to go blind in one eye before it would pay for treatment. In a public campaign, the World War II pilot took on the government — and won."

And there was another case born-Canadanian U.S.-citizen who's a critic of socialize-care but had a mom who was denied certain treatment because she was too old.

And more cases.

So, could anyone tell me of certain cases and names and stories of people who died because they didn't have insurance for private-healthcare?

link to some stories: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91971293

Just checking blood pressure, and taking blood pressure medicine (which is generic and cheap), would save a ton of money. Can we at least agree on offering free blood pressure tests, and handing out free blood pressure medicine? (Strokes are hideously expensive to treat.) Indeed, how about free blood tests too, so folks can know that their glucose count is high enough to let them know they are on the road to diabetes, and an unhealthy late middle age and on, assuming they don't assume room temperature in their 40's like my cousin did. The amount of money saved in controlling glucose levels itself would be staggering.

Can we agree on that?

There is something to be said on trying to get all sides of the ideological wars to agree on some things, that at least save a lot of money for those who don't like government subsidies to the impecunious as an a priori assumption.  Sometimes living in an ideological strait jacket (ya notice I am loading the dice there because I can), is that it leaves one susceptible to shooting oneself in the foot, when it comes to the end result. That is why, in my view, there are some "smart" libertarians, who know when to tack to avoid de-masting,  and then there are the "dumb" ones, who don't.

One of the "joys" of getting old, is one learns so much more about medical issues. Sad  You know, come to think of it, without preventative medicine, and some changes in my life style, I might well have bit the dust by now, and the planet "deprived" of my "valuable" presence Smiley), or at least I would have a highly degraded (and probably irreversible) quality of life. It is pretty sobering to think about. Which brings me to another topic. I have lost about 50 pounds, and voila, my skin disease (also very expensive to treat) has become far less virulent. I just learned that being overweight is a substantial exacerbatory factor, from a dermatologist researcher at UC Irvine, who told me that. No dermatologist had told me that before. Damn, just damn.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:29:51 AM »

Well, there's this girl:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22357873/

And this guy:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=1514702

This one:

http://www.kmbc.com/health/6882159/detail.html

This guy:

http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/story/uninsured-patient-dies-after-transplant-is-denied/2006-11-13

Et cetera.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:47:53 AM »

The worst part is so many of those involved people who actually HAD insurance (like the Michael Moore movie did) proving the huge issue. That's one of the reasons I don't have insurance, even though I can afford it.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:23:37 PM »

Usually these types of posters become less... stupid... as time goes on. Doesn't seem to be the case here.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »

What people won't tell you is that people will die under any system implemented.  No matter how many people have access to health care, they're still going to die in the end.  If a free market system allows you to get quicker treatment, then it wins by default.

The market system doesn't 'allow you to get quicker treatment', Blubb.  You never get treatment under the 'private health care system' if you have no money.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:28:18 PM »

POOR EXAMPLE ALERT!  Children, close your eyes!

You're right.  We should hear of these poor care deaths in the public health service.  Tell me a death.

He went blind in one eye.

He didn't die of it.

Tell me a death.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies