Why do creationists largely use only straw-man arguments?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:14:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why do creationists largely use only straw-man arguments?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why do creationists largely use only straw-man arguments?  (Read 7953 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »

That makes up at least 80% of their arguments from what I've noticed. Find me a single scientists who claims that you can get a dog by somehow combining a starfish and a grain of wheat.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »

That makes up at least 80% of their arguments from what I've noticed. Find me a single scientists who claims that you can get a dog by somehow combining a starfish and a grain of wheat.

What are you talking about?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »

He's talking about creationists misrepresenting the opinion of people that believe in evolution.

For example, I hear "I can't believe that humans evolved from apes" all the time from creationists, despite the fact that that claim isn't made by evolutionists.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »

He's talking about creationists misrepresenting the opinion of people that believe in evolution.

For example, I hear "I can't believe that humans evolved from apes" all the time from creationists, despite the fact that that claim isn't made by evolutionists.

Ah, the getting a dog out of a starfish and gain thing triped me up.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:57:13 PM »

Generally because Creationists do not grasp Evolution. If they did they would become Evolutionists.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »

Generally because Creationists do not grasp Evolution. If they did they would become Evolutionists.

Exactly. They refuse to even consider the concept of evolution because of their never ending fear of death, but accept even the most ridiculous aspects of their religion as absolute truth, with no evidence. I have had to hear that 'I don't believe we evolved from monkeys' crap constantly, which the churchs feed them to make sure they stay dumbed down.

The thing that infuriates me the most if when they say, 'No one has ever observed evolution happening, so it can't be proven'. Beyond the fact that that statement is inaccurate, what do you accept Noah's Ark or the Tower of Babel? Did you observe those events? One again: A fear of hell and a longing for heaven.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »

Exactly. They refuse to even consider the concept of evolution because of their never ending fear of death, but accept even the most ridiculous aspects of their religion as absolute truth, with no evidence. I have had to hear that 'I don't believe we evolved from monkeys' crap constantly, which the churchs feed them to make sure they stay dumbed down.

The thing that infuriates me the most if when they say, 'No one has ever observed evolution happening, so it can't be proven'. Beyond the fact that that statement is inaccurate, what do you accept Noah's Ark or the Tower of Babel? Did you observe those events? One again: A fear of hell and a longing for heaven.

That's a start, but it goes deeper.  It's true of a lot of irrational fundamentalists.  They have been told that A is true.  (Because the Bible says so, Pastor says so, the Pope says so, or whatever.) Therefore, if A is proven untrue...or is even thought to be understood differently than in the past...it must mean that B (something else I believe and cherish) must also be suspect. 

The hobgoblins of small, fearful minds.

I strongly suspect evolution is reality.  History.  I also believed God created the Heavens and the Earth.  And I see absolutely no conflict there.  I am not sure why so mnay of my fellow Christians feel threatened by the notion of evolution.  At least when William Jennings Bryan objected to it, he was largely concerned about the possibility that scientific Darwinism could lead us down the gilded age path to social Darwinism.  Oh, the irony.

Today, some of the most vociferous advocates of social Darwinism are those most outspoken opponents of scientific Darwinism. 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »

I strongly suspect evolution is reality.  History.  I also believed God created the Heavens and the Earth.  And I see absolutely no conflict there.  I am not sure why so mnay of my fellow Christians feel threatened by the notion of evolution.

Exactly.  I don't see any sort of conflict; if God can create the world, why can't He set evolution as the way for it to happen?
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »

It contradicts the literally taken creation story. There's an ideologically driven separation between man and animal, and that's the way creationists would like it to stay. There's a lot of deeper issues involved than simply creationists smirking at the erroneous thought that man was spawned from an ape.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »

Once again, this displays simply clinging to the idea of god and not be able to let go. Have you ever thought why would god use such a process when he could just poof it into existence? Accept your fate, there's no fairytale life for the goody goodies, and no endless torment for the baddies.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »

Once again, this displays simply clinging to the idea of god and not be able to let go. Have you ever thought why would god use such a process when he could just poof it into existence? Accept your fate, there's no fairytale life for the goody goodies, and no endless torment for the baddies.

That's an easily counterable argument, though, if you consider God/Creator to work methodically; essentially a scientific theological view.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »

I'm sorry to bust your bubble, but there is a Heaven and Hell.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:22:17 PM »

Do you have an eyewitness account to offer of either or both (preferably both) places?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 10:20:51 PM »

Ah, the getting a dog out of a starfish and gain thing triped me up.

It's from a quote from Michele Bachmann.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »

Dare I point out how often you've poisoned the well?  Tongue

There are much more talented apologists for creationism than you've run into.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 11:37:48 PM »

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but there is no heaven nor hell. (I can play this dumb game too!)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but there is no heaven nor hell. (I can play this dumb game too!)

Personally, I like bursting bubbles.

Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 10:26:12 AM »

Do you have an eyewitness account to offer of either or both (preferably both) places?

No, but do you have proof that Heaven and Hell are not real?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 10:51:09 AM »

Do you have proof that Heaven and Hell are real?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 10:56:05 AM »

Do you have proof that Heaven and Hell are real?

No, I just said that. But both sides have faith that they are right. This is how I look at it, if I am right them I'm going to heaven. If I'm wrong will then it will not matter because I will be dead in the ground and not know any better.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »

You cannot not say that because you can't prove the supernatural is isn't real, that it is equally valid to believing it is real. Because there is no evidence for it, rational thinkers will choose not to believe it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »

That's like arresting me now and accusing me of murdering somebody who I didn't even know, and have no way to prove didn't happen.

Does that make it just as likely that I'm guilty as innocent?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 11:34:27 AM »

Isn't the title of this thread a strawman itself?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »

You cannot not say that because you can't prove the supernatural is isn't real, that it is equally valid to believing it is real. Because there is no evidence for it, rational thinkers will choose not to believe it.
That's like arresting me now and accusing me of murdering somebody who I didn't even know, and have no way to prove didn't happen.

Both sides can't prove of disprove Heaven or Hell. So why are we even talking about it?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 11:53:01 AM »

Both sides can't prove of disprove Heaven or Hell. So why are we even talking about it?

Just like I can't prove I didn't kill anybody yesterday Wink

Does that mean the odds are 50-50 that I did?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies