If the Adam and Eve story is literal, wouldn't the world be horribly inbred?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 09:05:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If the Adam and Eve story is literal, wouldn't the world be horribly inbred?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: If the Adam and Eve story is literal, wouldn't the world be horribly inbred?  (Read 21438 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2009, 12:24:30 AM »

This is one of the many holes in Creationism I've never received a satisfactory answer to. The only attempt at one I've ever heard is they weren't neccesarily the only humans created directly by God and others could've been placed on Earth as well. However as this isn't mentioned anywhere else in the Bibe it strikes me more as a Biblical version of fan wank than an actual satisfactory explanation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:17:59 AM »

The Bible mentions other people.  After Cain kills Abel and God finds out Cain is worried he'll be murdered so God gives him The Mark of Cain to protect him and later he finds a wife, has kids and starts a city (Enoch).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 07:10:10 AM »

Maybe Adam and Eve is the story of the true Jews as opposed to the first two actual people?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 07:55:32 AM »

Maybe Adam and Eve is the story of the true Jews as opposed to the first two actual people?

If by "true Jews" you mean "white people" then I so agree.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 08:48:19 AM »

I'll take the Adam and Eve story over the evolution story any day.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »

No more inbred than it is with Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »

!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 03:05:06 PM »

Um, no.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with such a libertarian PM score profess to Creationist views before.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 07:47:31 PM »

Um, no.

Still, there can only be so much breeding before you start attaching the prefix "in-".  Your problem seems to be with the literal creation story not having enough genetic diversity to explain the full variation of humans, which is true.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »

Who is to say our current forms as humans aren't some horrible deformation of Adam and Eve after all of the inbreeding that would have happened? We move on the assumption that Adam and Eve were just like us.

Not that I necessarily believe that the story is literal...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 12:13:37 PM »

To me, the story of Adam and Eve makes more sense than evolution.  I can't wrap my mind around how we could evolve from monkeys.  On the other hand, I can grasp the fact that Adam was created in God's image and Eve came from Adam and their sin caused every human being after them save for Jesus Christ to be sinful, thus creating the need for Jesus, the only perfect human, to become sin for us and die on the cross and rise again.  The way it (Adam and Eve) seems more plausible is you have a man and a woman, living life and then having sexual relations with one another and bearing Cain, Abel, and Seth.  It is possible that Adam and Eve may have had more children than the three mentioned in Genesis 4.  That is the only explanation, that I can think of, as to the last part of chapter 4 that talks about Lamech telling his wives that he will be avenged, even though he committed two murders.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »

So, according to the logic of the title of this thread....God can created the entire universe, yet he lacks the ability to control the combining of genes?!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 01:21:37 PM »

I can't wrap my mind around how we could evolve from monkeys.

Then I have some good news:  Evolution doesn't claim that Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »

Why do the creationists ALWAYS have to use strawmen arguments? Here's an actual Michele Bachmann quote, which is like the ultimate example:

Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 02:06:31 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with such a libertarian PM score profess to Creationist views before.

Evolution doesn't add up to me. How can a single cell organism over billions of years grow into a human? If it did happen then why did the humans stop evolving? Where is the missing link? Where did the single cell organism come from? Where did atoms come from?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 02:09:36 PM »

Evolution doesn't add up to me. How can a single cell organism over billions of years grow into a human? If it did happen then why did the humans stop evolving? Where is the missing link? Where did the single cell organism come from? Where did atoms come from?

This is like the ultimate facepalm post.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 02:10:10 PM »

To me, the story of Adam and Eve makes more sense than evolution.  I can't wrap my mind around how we could evolve from monkeys.

I find this chart to be helpful:

Hope that helps. Cheesy

...sorry, I'm a snarky little bastard. Wink

Ok, in all seriousness, as Alcon notes the theory of evolution does not postulate that human beings evolved from monkeys. Instead evolutionary theory states that we have a distant common ancestor with monkeys and other primates. This (serious) chart displays our current understanding of primate evolution:

Our closest cousin in this is chimpanzees, not monkeys, but again we did not evolve from chimpanzees. There was another species at some less distant point in the past the diverged and took different paths. Most likely two or more populations of said species became seperated, underwent different mutations and selective pressures (the two primary driving forces of evolution) and eventually became two or more different species. The newer, more "fit" models may have also outcompeted any remaining versions of the old species, possibly driving that species into extinction. But I digress, we have more in common in terms of genetics and physical features with those closer to us on the tree (chimps and gorillas) than with monkeys, who are on a branch that's much further off.

I'll be more than happy to go into more detail if you like, just ask.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 02:14:23 PM »

This is like the ultimate facepalm post.

Why?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 02:19:52 PM »

There's so much extreme ignorance in it it's tough to know where to begin on debunking (Well OK, the bit about humans stopping evolving is the most obvious.)
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »

There's so much extreme ignorance in it it's tough to know where to begin on debunking (Well OK, the bit about humans stopping evolving is the most obvious.)

We are still evolving?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »

We are still evolving?

Yes. Evolution happens over the period of millions of years, not at a rate observable among generations, or even modern historical periods.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »

We are still evolving?

Yes. Evolution happens over the period of millions of years, not at a rate observable among generations, or even modern historical periods.

So how do you know we are still evolving if you can't see it? You just have faith that we are?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »

To me, the story of Adam and Eve makes more sense than evolution.  I can't wrap my mind around how we could evolve from monkeys.

I find this chart to be helpful:

Hope that helps. Cheesy

...sorry, I'm a snarky little bastard. Wink

Ok, in all seriousness, as Alcon notes the theory of evolution does not postulate that human beings evolved from monkeys. Instead evolutionary theory states that we have a distant common ancestor with monkeys and other primates. This (serious) chart displays our current understanding of primate evolution:

Our closest cousin in this is chimpanzees, not monkeys, but again we did not evolve from chimpanzees. There was another species at some less distant point in the past the diverged and took different paths. Most likely two or more populations of said species became seperated, underwent different mutations and selective pressures (the two primary driving forces of evolution) and eventually became two or more different species. The newer, more "fit" models may have also outcompeted any remaining versions of the old species, possibly driving that species into extinction. But I digress, we have more in common in terms of genetics and physical features with those closer to us on the tree (chimps and gorillas) than with monkeys, who are on a branch that's much further off.

I'll be more than happy to go into more detail if you like, just ask.

No, please don't.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »

We are still evolving?

So how do you know we are still evolving if you can't see it? You just have faith that we are?

The point is there is no evidence that evolution has stopped. Burden of proof is on the one making the claim that it has.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies