If the Adam and Eve story is literal, wouldn't the world be horribly inbred?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:10:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If the Adam and Eve story is literal, wouldn't the world be horribly inbred?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: If the Adam and Eve story is literal, wouldn't the world be horribly inbred?  (Read 21345 times)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 11:25:36 AM »
« edited: May 13, 2009, 11:28:28 AM by Aizen »

I'll take the Adam and Eve story over the evolution story any day.

Congratulations, you're an idiot. Seriously, what makes the Adam and Eve story credible? The part where god rips out Adam's rib and grows Eve from it?

That is true, my high school teacher didn't teach it because she didn't believe in it and in college I didn't take any classes that taught it. So all that I know of it is what I have read and heard about it.

Wow, I feel bad for you now. Growing up in a poor school system where ignorance is promoted.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »

Seriously, what makes the Adam and Eve story credible?

It's the word of God!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 12:11:56 PM »

Either that or you could accept that "my interpretation" of the fossil record is based on sound science that doesn't make baseless assumptions, and therefore is a suitable example of vertical evolution.

it absolutely makes an HUGE assumptions - that it is all the result of natural processes

"an huge assumptions" - sorry, couldn't help but snicker at that grammatical clusterf**k. Wink

But yes, that assumption is made, and it is hardly baseless. It's the logical assumption. We've seen mutations occur and have an explanation grounded in natural processes, and we've seen natural selection occur in natural circumstances. Seeing as these are the two primary drivers of evolution, why would be assume it was anything but natural in the past as well? Unless you can show the hand of something not natural, why would you assume that?

It's the word of God!

Do you have credible proof that it is, or is that an HUGE assumptions?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »

"an huge assumptions" - sorry, couldn't help but snicker at that grammatical clusterf**k. Wink

that happens sometimes when we add modifying adjectives and make nouns plural without cleaning up the rest of the sentence...

---

But yes, that assumption is made, and it is hardly baseless. It's the logical assumption. We've seen mutations occur and have an explanation grounded in natural processes, and we've seen natural selection occur in natural circumstances. Seeing as these are the two primary drivers of evolution...

see there, you did it again, you attempt to back up your theory based on assumptions with points that have already assumed your theory correct.

---

It's the word of God!

[/quote]

yeah, my own testimony
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 01:04:03 PM »

that happens sometimes when we add modifying adjectives and make nouns plural without cleaning up the rest of the sentence...

Don't take it personally, I was just having a laugh.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

see there, you did it again, you attempt to back up your theory based on assumptions with points that have already assumed your theory correct.[/quote]

If by "assumption" you mean "conclusion arrived upon by rational thinking" then yes. I have vast amounts of scientific evidence to show my theory is correct. The two drivers mentioned are sufficient to explain it, and there is no evidence to show a third primary driver so I see no need to assume anything else. Though if you care to present something that thousands of scientists who have devoted their lives to studying this have not found by all means go ahead.

It's the word of God!
[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah, my own testimony
[/quote]

You know, I talked to a burning bush yesterday and it told me that it wrote the Bible as a fictional comedy. It found the whole part about the talking snake and the naked people particularly amusing. Oh look, my testimony contradicts yours! And it involves talking shrubbery, it must be true. Grin

Again, I asked for credible proof. Your testimony isn't sufficient in this case.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 01:18:06 PM »

Congratulations, you're an idiot. Seriously, what makes the Adam and Eve story credible? The part where god rips out Adam's rib and grows Eve from it?

So people who don't agree with you are idiots? Way to be an open minded liberal! That really pisses me off, the liberals say they are so open minded but as soon as someone believe different then they do then they call them idiots and crap like that. On the other hand alot of true conservatives don't give a crap what you believe or how you live and are called bigots.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »

If by "assumption" you mean "conclusion arrived upon by rational thinking" then yes.

So, have all the scientific theories discarded to date not been "conclusions arrived upon by rational thinking"?  Not a good track record upon which to bet one’s eternity.

---

I have vast amounts of scientific evidence to show my theory is correct. The two drivers mentioned are sufficient to explain it, and there is no evidence to show a third primary driver so I see no need to assume anything else.

Except, of course, the minor “inconvenient truth” that 1) the universe exists at all, and 2) no natural process can create or destroy energy

---

Though if you care to present something that thousands of scientists who have devoted their lives to studying this have not found by all means go ahead.

Oh, they have found it; they have simply chosen to ignore it.  But, hey, once they rejected Gen 1:1, which is in agreement to what they have found, it’s no surprise they would ignore any scientific evidence that doesn’t agree with their “rational conclusions”, even evidence that is repeatable and apparent is every single process they have witnessed.

---

Again, I asked for credible proof. Your testimony isn't sufficient in this case.

So, your assumptions, which are NOT based on anything you have witnessed, trump my testimony of what I HAVE witnessed?!  You certainly know how to take such logic and dress it up with colorful words such as: credible, sufficient, rational, proof.

But, since the soundness of every theory is demonstrated by its ability to predict future events, I’m willing to allow the clock to advance.  After all, its only eternity. 
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 03:18:39 PM »

So, have all the scientific theories discarded to date not been "conclusions arrived upon by rational thinking"?  Not a good track record upon which to bet one’s eternity.

Some were, some weren't. It's a mixed bag. I've reviewed the evidence in regards to evolution and the conclusions drawn, and I find them sound.

Furthermore I don't see any evidence that I'm "betting my eternity". That's simply an assumption that you are making.

Except, of course, the minor “inconvenient truth” that 1) the universe exists at all, and 2) no natural process can create or destroy energy[/quote]

We've been over this. But he, let's assume there was a creator being that set up the universe for kicks. Could such a being not simply make the natural processes he designed capable of making evolving life independently, hence naturally? I don't see why not, if we assume such a being exists.

Oh, they have found it; they have simply chosen to ignore it.  But, hey, once they rejected Gen 1:1, which is in agreement to what they have found, it’s no surprise they would ignore any scientific evidence that doesn’t agree with their “rational conclusions”, even evidence that is repeatable and apparent is every single process they have witnessed.[/quote]

No, they haven't. You just want them to have because that what you want to believe. You have zero rational basis for believing this. Name ONE piece of "evidence that is repeatable and apparent is every single process they have witnessed" that they have ignored when it comes to evolutionary theory.

So, your assumptions, which are NOT based on anything you have witnessed, trump my testimony of what I HAVE witnessed?!  You certainly know how to take such logic and dress it up with colorful words such as: credible, sufficient, rational, proof.[/quote]

Well according to my testimony I've had conversations with talking shrubbery and he said everything you believe is a lie. Why does your testimony trump mine, or that of the people of other religions who seriously claim to have had any number of spiritual experiences involving their deities and spirits and whatnot?

Besides, by your logic forensic science is worthless because there's no possible way you can draw a conclusion about what happened at a crime scene from physical evidence. But you know damn well that isn't the case. In court if the physical evidence contradicts a human witness, it means one is lying or just mistaken, and that's usually the human.

Very well, but I assure you that both of us will be long dead before we noticeably see any large change in the species on this planet, and I'm willing to bet my eternity that your doomsday prophecies will not come to pass.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 04:02:42 PM »

Well according to my testimony I've had conversations with talking shrubbery and he said everything you believe is a lie. Why does your testimony trump mine

because I am being serious and you are being a joke

---

Very well, but I assure you that both of us will be long dead before we noticeably see any large change in the species on this planet, and I'm willing to bet my eternity that your doomsday prophecies will not come to pass.

will that be your response when the Temple is rebuilt?
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2009, 04:21:06 PM »

So people who don't agree with you are idiots? Way to be an open minded liberal! That really pisses me off, the liberals say they are so open minded but as soon as someone believe different then they do then they call them idiots and crap like that. On the other hand alot of true conservatives don't give a crap what you believe or how you live and are called bigots.

*a lot

Let us pretend someone believes the world is 6000 years old or they think the world is flat. I am going to consider them an idiot. Your belief is along the exact same lines. Do you understand?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »

Dibble,

The fact you don't actually care about truth is demonstrated by your willingness to make up false testimony in order to have something to place on the scales along side my own testimony.

But, just for kicks:  Where is the second witness to your testimony?  My interpretation of scripture is questionable (even I am not 100% convinced of some of my interpretations), but my testimony aligns 100% with scripture, which will serve as my second witness.

Therefore, let's examine the evidence:  Review my testimony, which is very detailed and which I have recited many times over the 7 years I’ve been on this forum, and tell me a single point that doesn't align with scripture.  In fact, see if you can a single point within all the versions of my testimony where I have contradicted myself or given conflicting details.

Because, even though I am not 100% convinced of my interpretation, since it is based upon my limited abilities and knowledge, but I am 100% certain of my testimony for I was simply witnessing God’s actions as he made them known to me.  And since my testimony is NOT about me, but rather is about God, I fully trust God’s actions where consistent with his word.  Therefore, I welcome a meticulous examination of my testimony of God’s actions
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2009, 05:10:40 PM »

*a lot

Let us pretend someone believes the world is 6000 years old or they think the world is flat. I am going to consider them an idiot. Your belief is along the exact same lines. Do you understand?

I believe that man is 6,000 years old, not necessarily the world.  Does that make me an idiot.  If it does, then I am PROUD to be an idiot.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2009, 05:15:26 PM »

*a lot

I believe that man is 6,000 years old, not necessarily the world.  Does that make me an idiot.  If it does, then I am PROUD to be an idiot.

We have fossils of Australopithecines from 4 million years ago.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »

*a lot

No I don't, because as far as I know, we weren't around back then so we really don't know what happen. You can call me an idiot for thinking that the bible is true all you want, but that doesn't make you right. It just makes you a bigot.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »

*a lot

No I don't, because as far as I know, we weren't around back then so we really don't know what happen. You can call me an idiot for thinking that the bible is true all you want, but that doesn't make you right. It just makes you a bigot.

*happened

I'm not calling you an idiot based on your faith. Rather, I'm calling you an idiot because of your ignorance and your rejection of evidence. We have fossil records that date back millions of years. We have empirical evidence of bacteria evolving. They become immune to previous drugs and we have to alter our drugs to kill them. That is evolution at work. Evolution is of course not a perfect theory by any stretch of the imagination but when you claim "I'll take the Adam and Eve story over the evolution story any day" you are rejecting science. Do you believe in gravity? Do you think our planet is 6000 years old? I don't mind if you have faith in god but when you reject basic science like this, I consider you an idiot. Period. Quite frankly, I don't give a damn if you consider me a bigot or an elitist or whatever. I'm just being brutally honest. Do you understand?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »

Well according to my testimony I've had conversations with talking shrubbery and he said everything you believe is a lie. Why does your testimony trump mine

because I am being serious and you are being a joke

I love it how you so often cut off half the sentence when quoting whenever it's convenient to you.

[/quote]

will that be your response when the Temple is rebuilt?
[/quote]

It's been explained to you by others why that is highly unlikely to occur, but in the event that happens it won't be enough. Maybe if I see some supernatural stuff going down I'll reconsider my opinion, but one building being erected is not proof of a divine prophecy.

Dibble,

The fact you don't actually care about truth is demonstrated by your willingness to make up false testimony in order to have something to place on the scales along side my own testimony.

The fact that your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking is demonstrated by your inability to tell I was being facetious while still making a point. Given how many discussions we have had I would think you might have figured out my sense of humor by now.

Again, I was being facetious. However, as I stated there are numerous people of other religions whom make serious, heartfelt claims that they have had spiritual experiences involving their deities, spirits, or whatever it is their religion believes in.

That's nice, but it doesn't make you special. I'm quite certain that among the aforementioned others who have had spiritual experiences believe their testimony aligns 100% with their particular scripture and can show that there are no contradictions with said scripture as well and all that jazz. Why am I expected to believe your testimony and scripture over theirs? What makes yours more credible?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »

*a lot

*happened

I'm not calling you an idiot based on your faith. Rather, I'm calling you an idiot because of your ignorance and your rejection of evidence. We have fossil records that date back millions of years. We have empirical evidence of bacteria evolving. They become immune to previous drugs and we have to alter our drugs to kill them. That is evolution at work. Evolution is of course not a perfect theory by any stretch of the imagination but when you claim "I'll take the Adam and Eve story over the evolution story any day" you are rejecting science. Do you believe in gravity? Do you think our planet is 6000 years old? I don't mind if you have faith in god but when you reject basic science like this, I consider you an idiot. Period. Quite frankly, I don't give a damn if you consider me a bigot or an elitist or whatever. I'm just being brutally honest. Do you understand?

Until they find the missing link that they have been looking for I'm not going to believe in evolution they are teaching. Do I think the Earth is 6,000 years old? No, but I do believe that the written document of man is only 6,000 years old(when man started to write down history). Do I believe that there were humans that lived over 6,000 years ago, most likely. What I believe is God made everything a long time ago, when? I don't know, but God made Adam and Eve and from there to now I believe that humans changed into what we are today.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »

*a lot

*happened

Jee, you're really helping us make him understand, aren't you?  I'll bet he's feeling way sympathetic towards evolution, now Tongue
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2009, 09:32:18 AM »

*a lot

*happened

Jee, you're really helping us make him understand, aren't you?  I'll bet he's feeling way sympathetic towards evolution, now Tongue

Don't worry, unlike him, I am willing to open minded about things I don't know or understand. I am able to be sympathetic toward evolution and creationism. Unlike him I don't go around calling people names that don't believe the same thing I do. Because when it comes down to it they both are theories, not 100% facts. Like I have said before I believe it is a mixture of both. But if you made me pick one over the other, I would go with creationism, because I believe that God has the power to do anything he wants.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2009, 02:52:13 AM »

*a lot

*happened

Until they find the missing link that they have been looking for I'm not going to believe in evolution they are teaching. Do I think the Earth is 6,000 years old? No, but I do believe that the written document of man is only 6,000 years old(when man started to write down history). Do I believe that there were humans that lived over 6,000 years ago, most likely. What I believe is God made everything a long time ago, when? I don't know, but God made Adam and Eve and from there to now I believe that humans changed into what we are today.

You say you aren't going to believe the evolution "they" are teaching, yet you admit that you have never really learned about evolution. I don' t think serious scientists are out there looking for the "missing link". We didn't evolve from monkeys; rather we evolved from a common ancestor that branched into monkeys, humans, chimps etc. And we have genetic evidence for this of course. 99% of our genome matches with that of the Chimpanzee. There's your "missing link" right there.

Again I don't understand the reason for being so defensive. Evolution basically goes against the creation stories of every religion out there so please stop with the whole Scientists trying to destroy Christianity bullsh**t. And as I have said before I don't see anything contradictory with being a man of faith and "believing" in evolution. Of course you don't "believe" in scientific facts, you learn them and know them.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2009, 02:59:04 AM »

*a lot

Dude we have proof of humans, not some hominoid ancestor, but Homo sapiens roaming around the planet before 6,000 years ago. Why be so anti-science? You really think there is some conspiracy out there trying to destroy Christianity? You don't think evolution goes against the creation stories of most other religions? Of course Christians do tend to be very dogmatic, which would explain the fervor against evolution.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2009, 09:18:02 AM »

*a lot

Roll Eyes
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »

*a lot

*happened

Don't worry, unlike him, I am willing to open minded about things I don't know or understand. I am able to be sympathetic toward evolution and creationism. Unlike him I don't go around calling people names that don't believe the same thing I do. Because when it comes down to it they both are theories, not 100% facts. Like I have said before I believe it is a mixture of both. But if you made me pick one over the other, I would go with creationism, because I believe that God has the power to do anything he wants.

Oh, I agree with you on the last sentence, but I think the greatest gift God has given to us is stepping back and not exercising that power, at least not arbitrarily at random times.  God created the universe knowing the powers of reason he would be giving us; it just doesn't make sense to us that He'd go "Haha!  I shall mislead all the scientists!"and then stick some fossils in the soil and create some tantalizing mechanisms that seem just perfectly to support the idea of evolution Tongue
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »

*a lot

*happened

Oh, I agree with you on the last sentence, but I think the greatest gift God has given to us is stepping back and not exercising that power, at least not arbitrarily at random times.  God created the universe knowing the powers of reason he would be giving us; it just doesn't make sense to us that He'd go "Haha!  I shall mislead all the scientists!"and then stick some fossils in the soil and create some tantalizing mechanisms that seem just perfectly to support the idea of evolution Tongue

He could have to test people, like the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden. Also in the Bible it does say before the Great Flood that people did in fact mate with beast, and maybe just maybe that is how we got the bones of beings that look like ape people. (I said ape people because I don't know the true know of what you call them)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »

He could have to test people, like the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden. Also in the Bible it does say before the Great Flood that people did in fact mate with beast, and maybe just maybe that is how we got the bones of beings that look like ape people. (I said ape people because I don't know the true know of what you call them)

I...am...speechless....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies