Game Moderator Replacement Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:45:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Game Moderator Replacement Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Game Moderator Replacement Bill (Law'd)  (Read 7898 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:43:14 AM »
« edited: May 13, 2009, 09:06:43 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Game Moderator Replacement Bill

Section 1: If the Game Moderator is deemed to be inappropriately inactive, he may be removed by the Senate in the interest of stimulating activity in Atlasia.

Section 2: Any such motion for removal will be sponosored by a senator and seconded by at least one other senator.

Section 3: A period of debate may be allowed for up to 48 hours concerning any such motion, after which a vote on removal from office will be held.

Section 4: The GM shall be removed from office in the event that two-thirds of the Senate vote for removal.

Spon: Sen. Franzl, Sen. MasterJedi
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »

I think it's a necessary bill that would help Atlasia. Our current Game Moderator doesn't appear to be very interested in doing anything, so I believe it would make sense to allow the Senate to make such a decision in the interest of increasing activity.

The supermajority is required to keep this from being abused in the future.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »

Muy bien, muy bien.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:58:21 AM »

I support this.  We after all do need an active Game Moderator to make the post effective.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 02:45:05 PM »

I support this.  We after all do need an active Game Moderator to make the post effective.

Absolutely. I have yet to see real activity by the GM during my time in Atlasia. It is about time someone else took over the seat and this bill increases the likelihood that whoever takes over will be more active.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »

This is a much-needed bill, I must say.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:47:35 PM »

I suspect you'll need more than that...
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 11:05:08 PM »

I suspect you'll need more than that...

It definitely can't hurt...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 01:49:06 AM »

Ebowed may not have done a lot as GM, but the Senate didn't seem to respond when he did so I can see why he quit bothering.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 02:03:01 AM »

I'm just curious as to what constitutional justification the Senate would have to pass this bill?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 08:39:28 AM »

I don't think this bill is getting anywhere close to the problem. The ultimate 'mod' is essentially the real world. It is up to us to respond to real world developments. Bills on the economy and even the recent anti-piracy bill is exactly the sort of response we need. The down side to 'firing' the mod is that you may be unlikely to get an active replacement.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 11:14:40 AM »

I don't think this bill is getting anywhere close to the problem. The ultimate 'mod' is essentially the real world. It is up to us to respond to real world developments. Bills on the economy and even the recent anti-piracy bill is exactly the sort of response we need. The down side to 'firing' the mod is that you may be unlikely to get an active replacement.

A vacancy wouldn't seem too far from what we have now. Better we take the chance of getting a semi-active one than what we have now.

Ebowed may not have done a lot as GM, but the Senate didn't seem to respond when he did so I can see why he quit bothering.

I can't speak for before I entered the game, but the GM shouldn't be about posting a little thing every few weeks. If you are going to start a civil war in Canada there needs to be daily updates on what progress is happening. If the Daily Grind was updated semi-daily with events around the nation, from foreign policy to the economy, things would be far more interesting. The only issue is that the GM is really a crappy job. There is absolutely no incentive for anyone to want it. So either that needs to change or we should scrap the position and use the "real world," as afleitch said, as our mod.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »

Sure, but real world developments keep us from passing lots of interesting legislation. Look at our Middle East Peace Act I and II. We definitely need the Game Moderator to inform us of the developments in order to react appropriately. Real world developments would be irrelevant because we passed something that likely never will happen in the real world.

I don't mind using the real world for a variety of things...I mean, we all talk in Atlasia about the "economic crisis". That's certainly adopted from real life.

Bottom line...we need a GM that will actually invest just a little energy into this...and that spirit has not been shown by the incumbent.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 12:51:33 PM »

I'm just curious as to what constitutional justification the Senate would have to pass this bill?

I'm unaware of anything in the Constitution concerning the role of the Game Moderator. I may be wrong, but I believe there's nothing to prevent the Senate from changing the way a Game Moderator may be put into power or thrown out.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

This legislative body derives its powers from Article I, Section 5 of the Atlasian Constitution. My question to this bill's proponents: which clause of this section allows us the authority to regulate the role of Game Moderator? I would prefer we not pass an unconstitutional bill here.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »

This legislative body derives its powers from Article I, Section 5 of the Atlasian Constitution. My question to this bill's proponents: which clause of this section allows us the authority to regulate the role of Game Moderator? I would prefer we not pass an unconstitutional bill here.

We're not regulating the role of the Game Moderator, but adding a way in which the Game Moderator may be removed. There is precedent for this:

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/GM_Act

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't see any reason that the Senate should not have the power to modify these guidelines, considering it was the Senate that passed the current rules as well.

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 02:47:41 PM »

I am pretty sure the GM isn't in the Constitution at all? It was a position established by the Senate and, as such, can be regulated by the Senate. The power to create is the power to destroy.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »

Perhaps allowing the GM to hold another office could help. Most active members hold some sort of office so it's tough to find a GM otherwise.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »

I disagree with the notion of allowing the GM to hold another office, as it seems to kind of be a conflict of interest to me. The person generating the headlines upon which the Senate should react should not be politically active, in my opinion.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 04:26:46 PM »

btw, I think there is at least one candidate interested in the job.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »

I disagree with the notion of allowing the GM to hold another office, as it seems to kind of be a conflict of interest to me. The person generating the headlines upon which the Senate should react should not be politically active, in my opinion.

I agree with Franzl, and I too also know one person who wants the job.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »

As do I, but for future GMs. And I considered the "conflict of interest" part, but if we can remove the GM for grandstanding it shouldn't be a problem. I don't see a GM causing a massive earthquake killing the President or anything. Doesn't seem like it can be that harmful. We are all (mostly) rational people. Just don't let Xahar get his hands on it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 04:38:10 PM »

I am satified with the reponses regarding the constitution and the fact some people are interested in the post Smiley It is nice to be proven wrong on things like that Grin

I have no further questions.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »

Alright then, I think I'll go ahead and move to invoke cloture. The other aspects can be discussed at a separete time (such as dual office holding) if the need should ever arise. This bill should only be about removal from office, if you ask me.

I think we all agree that something needs to be done Smiley

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »

Alright, cloture vote guys. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Aye
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies