Lehigh Valley: why not more Democratic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:15:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Lehigh Valley: why not more Democratic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lehigh Valley: why not more Democratic?  (Read 4360 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:10:28 PM »

The Bethlehem/Allentown area is one about which I don't know a lot, even though it's not that far from me. My mental image of it is as a sort of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre type of place, albeit historically more manufacturing-based than mining. Yet it seems more Republican than other union areas in PA - it went for Reagan both times and Bush Sr., almost went to Bush Jr. both times, and it's represented by Charlie Dent in the House. Also, it seems to be growing in population, which surprises me (Do people actually commute from here to the Philly or NYC areas?).

Any insights as to why this is?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »

It used to be. It used to be dominated by the old Allentown manufacturing scene. Those days are over now.

Now the area is full of professionals. My Aunt and Uncle are the perfect example. They live in Center Valley (right outside of Coopersburg). They're both nurses so you can imagine the money they make/what type of area they live in.

And, yes, the professionals mostly commute to NYC or Philly.

By the way, you know who used to represent this swing area? Pat Toomey  Wink 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »

By the way, if you like a more rural/exurban scene, this area is perfect. The scenery is so beautiful. It hasn't been totally overtaken by sprawl. I just couldn't live in that type of area.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »

Very few blacks.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »

I hate the Lehigh Valley. They always get big snows while us down here get stuck with the usual "wintry mix." Screw them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »

Aside from Allentown, yes.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »

Well, South Bethlehem has a large Latino population, but anyways.

The Lehigh Valley has nice scenery as Phil said, but I found the area when I lived there very boring.  You have the inner Valley itself which is just, as one of Billy Joel's songs says, miles and miles of parking space or rusting steel mills and other factories.  In that mix you have a few colleges such as Lehigh, Lafayette, and Moravian which have a quaint feel to them.  South bethlehem is a weird mix of college students, white retirees, and a recent influx of Latinos from NYC.  The area Phil's referring to is south of the Lehigh Valley over South Mountain which I remember as the Saucon Valley and one of the towns is Center Valley which would probably be BRTD's hell on earth. 

Politically, I would imagine the Valley more Democratic as I remembered more O'Brien and Gore signs back in 2000 while I saw more Toomey and Bush signs in the more exurban/suburban Saucon Valley.  I guess you could call the Saucon Valley exurban Philly/NYC and the suburban Allentown/Behtlehem.  That said, I would say the Lehigh Valley is an eclectic mix of every ideology.  It really depends on the local/national climate from year to year.  As much as Pat Toomey could win it, so could a far more liberal candidate and in certain elections, more liberal candidates such as Kerry, Obama, and Rendell have also won.   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:39:59 PM »

The area Phil's referring to is south of the Lehigh Valley over South Mountain which I remember as the Saucon Valley and one of the towns is Center Valley which would probably be BRTD's hell on earth.

Haha, yep. That's where Aunt, Uncle and cousins live - Center Valley. He'd hate it there. It's still really "the Lehigh Valley" though. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 04:51:55 AM »

I'd like to see a city or precinct map of presidential results in those two counties.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 06:03:04 AM »

Allentown is a whopping 7.8% black. All of Lehigh County is 5.5%.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 12:11:11 PM »

Really? Wow. I thought it was more. I must have been confusing the black population with the Hispanic population in the city.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »

Really? Wow. I thought it was more. I must have been confusing the black population with the Hispanic population in the city.

It's sometimes hard to tell.  I noticed when i was up there aa lot of people who looked black with some type of Carribbean/Latin accent.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 05:45:53 PM »

Thanks for all the responses - I suspected that there might be some exurbia going on, but I wasn't sure.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »

Thanks for all the responses - I suspected that there might be some exurbia going on, but I wasn't sure.

I'd be careful categorizing it as solely the result of exurbia. Monroe and Pike Counties are growing rapidly as NYC exurbs (off I-80 just as Northampton and Lehigh are off I-78), but they're also (especially Monroe) rocketing leftward as that growth takes place.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »

I'd be careful categorizing it as solely the result of exurbia. Monroe and Pike Counties are growing rapidly as NYC exurbs (off I-80 just as Northampton and Lehigh are off I-78), but they're also (especially Monroe) rocketing leftward as that growth takes place.

Yes, this is definitely true.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies