Steele:when you come into someone's house, you're not looking to change it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:01:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Steele:when you come into someone's house, you're not looking to change it
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Steele:when you come into someone's house, you're not looking to change it  (Read 843 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:34:57 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
He wants me (us) back, but  he is not going to change any of the reasons why I (we) left in the first place?  Why would I (we) do that?  Is the GOP getting dumber?  I suppose most people with a clue who use to vote Pubby has left, so yeah, it most certainly is getting dumber.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:13:54 AM »

link
He wants me (us) back, but  he is not going to change any of the reasons why I (we) left in the first place?  Why would I (we) do that?  Is the GOP getting dumber?  I suppose most people with a clue who use to vote Pubby has left, so yeah, it most certainly is getting dumber.

You are acting like he is a neo-con. If he sets that up as this as policy, than certain social conservatives will eventually have no choice but to conform or leave the party.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:17:02 AM »

Well, there's nothing much he can do. I mean, the meme that Republicans are losing moderates is even stronger with Specter leaving, so it's not like he'll egg them on to leave.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »

link

You are acting like he is a neo-con. If he sets that up as this as policy, than certain social conservatives will eventually have no choice but to conform or leave the party.
I'm not putting any kind of label on him.  He SAID, you guys can you come back, but we ain't changing anything.  I find that a stupid thing to think and a retarded thing to say.
Quote from: Restricted
We left because it wasn't the house we wanted to be in, they haven't changed anything (hell, they've gotten worse) and they are asking us to come back.  WHY?  Give me a reason to come back.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »

To Hell with Steele and the GOP. This dumbwits themselves changed the GOP when they began to ramsack it en masse back in the 1970s. The Republican Party I have affection for believes in small government in the bedroom as well as the boardroom - but it's quite obvious that the Republicans no longer have any need for civic libertarians, so much ado to them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:06:35 AM »

Now they are going to go around the country and listen to what people have to say.....check that, they are going to go around the country and tell us how they are going to fix the country by doing the same sh**t they've been doing.
link
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 03:27:02 AM »
« Edited: May 07, 2009, 03:35:13 AM by Lunar »

I saw this story a while ago, but it wasn't in rhetorically significant terms enough for me to post it in my ongoing Steele thread, simply because I don't think the layperson is clever enough to understand the implications of what he said.  More importantly, Steele doesn't actually mean anything he says!  He just says whatever the interviewer expects him to say!

It is hilarious that he implies that moderates [and libertarians] aren't allowed to have a voice in the GOP, they're only allowed to vote for Republican politicians.  Joining the GOP for them is like having dinner at someone's house, and no real disagreement is allowed, it's to be kept private

The Democrats, in contrast, allow healthy debate, they allow politicians to vote against major Democratic policies and so on.  Which is why, if you sort by PVI on this wikipedia page, and examine the House seats based off of that list, you get the results that you do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_Partisan_Voting_Index

If you scratch Cao off the list, what do you see?  Hmmmmmm
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 04:06:19 AM »

Interesting list.  If you count up all the House members that come up with a score bigger than a +30 you get 25 Dems (2 over 40!) and 0 (zero) Pubs.  Pubbies may not encourage healthy debate but they do seem to vote a little more "mixed" than a lot of Dems.

I don't understand the "scratch Cao off the list" part.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:43:32 AM »

I saw this story a while ago, but it wasn't in rhetorically significant terms enough for me to post it in my ongoing Steele thread,

I posted it there.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:44:22 AM »

I don't understand the "scratch Cao off the list" part.

He's an exceptional case in too many ways and won't be around in 2011.

I suppose you could scratch Walt Minnick off the list, too, although with Democrats in the majority the calculus is different.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 11:04:27 AM »

Walt isn't dead, his insane opponent from 2008 is looking for a rematch, and Walt's getting the support of some of the GOP establishment in the area

I saw this story a while ago, but it wasn't in rhetorically significant terms enough for me to post it in my ongoing Steele thread,

I posted it there.

Fine then!

I think it's thread-worthy though.

You can vote for us, but don't try and talk to us!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »

Interesting list.  If you count up all the House members that come up with a score bigger than a +30 you get 25 Dems (2 over 40!) and 0 (zero) Pubs.  Pubbies may not encourage healthy debate but they do seem to vote a little more "mixed" than a lot of Dems.

Well, the Democratic vote is more concentrated, such as majority-African American districts.

The list is the product of presidential elections, after all.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »

dead0, remember that this forum is not the end-all of the future.

I still think Steele will do right by us.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies