How would you change US diplomatic relations?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:48:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How would you change US diplomatic relations?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you change US diplomatic relations?  (Read 1481 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »

Here's what I would do:

Establish diplomatic relations with:
Cuba
Iran

Diplomatically recognize and establish relations with:
Nagorno-Karabakh
Somaliland
Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
And also change recognition back to the Republic of China
Palestinean Authority (and also recognize it as a Palestinean state as 50something countries do.)

Cease recognition of:
Kosovo

End relations with:
Vatican City
Liechtenstein
Monaco
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 02:50:16 PM »

All your opposition has to say is that you are anti-Catholic, and you are finished.

Don't mistake tolerating and accepting abortion as the same thing as rejecting the Vatican/ Papacy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »

Don't mistake tolerating and accepting abortion as the same thing as rejecting the Vatican/ Papacy.

That's not what his hatred is based on.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »

All your opposition has to say is that you are anti-Catholic, and you are finished.

I'm rejecting it because as acountry it's a joke and there's no reason for the US to have diplomatic relations with them. The US doesn't have official diplomatic relations with any Protestant leader, or Muslim or Buddhist or any other religious institutions for that matter either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »

The US doesn't have official diplomatic relations with any Protestant leader, or Muslim or Buddhist or any other religious institutions for that matter either.

Uh...do any of those leaders have an independent state set up to even be recognized?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »

The US doesn't have official diplomatic relations with any Protestant leader, or Muslim or Buddhist or any other religious institutions for that matter either.

Uh...do any of those leaders have an independent state set up to even be recognized?

No, but the Vatican is barely a state either. It has less population and about as much area as my neighborhood. Should my neighborhood be an independent state? Should the city of Minneapolis (WAY more people than the Vatican) have diplomatic relations with foreign countries?

Also it was Mussolini who granted the Vatican state independence, so therefore it is illegitimate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 04:57:04 PM »

No, but the Vatican is barely a state either. It has less population and about as much area as my neighborhood. Should my neighborhood be an independent state? Should the city of Minneapolis (WAY more people than the Vatican) have diplomatic relations with foreign countries?

You cannot be serious.

My city has more people than Luxembourg. Does that mean Luxembourg is not a country? Should my city be an independent country?

And what the hell does Minneapolis having more people than the Vatican have to do with anything? Should my city (which has way more people than a lot of countries) have diplomatic relations with foreign countries?

You fail at logic, child!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You're a joke.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »

You cannot be serious.

My city has more people than Luxembourg. Does that mean Luxembourg is not a country? Should my city be an independent country?

And what the hell does Minneapolis having more people than the Vatican have to do with anything? Should my city (which has way more people than a lot of countries) have diplomatic relations with foreign countries?

You fail at logic, child!

There are other non-joke countries Minneapolis has more people than as well (such as San Marino.) However not my neighborhood. It only has about 15,000 people, and is roughly the same size as the Vatican. Also my neighborhood actually has people born in it, and is self-sufficient unlike the Vatican. Should Sealand also be recognized as independent? How about Seborga?

And actually, there is a comparable example to the Vatican:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos

The US does not have diplomatic relations with this state, which isn't really part of Greece. And has more people than the Vatican.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »

There are other non-joke countries Minneapolis has more people than as well (such as San Marino.) However not my neighborhood. It only has about 15,000 people, and is roughly the same size as the Vatican. Also my neighborhood actually has people born in it, and is self-sufficient unlike the Vatican. Should Sealand also be recognized as independent? How about Seborga?

The US does not have diplomatic relations with this state, which isn't really part of Greece. And has more people than the Vatican.

Population does not determine whether or not an area is a recognized, independent state, you imbecile.

Sorry but we don't determine whether or not we recognize a country based on whether or not they're "jokes" in the opinion of some dope like yourself.

I'm not debating whether or not we ought to recognize certain countries. I'm arguing against your asinine thought that the American government shouldn't recognize the Vatican because we don't recognize other high ranking religious figures. The reason why this happens is simple though - whether you like it or not, Vatican City is an independent, sovereign nation and is recognized for that reason, not just because it represents Catholics.

I'm also arguing that we don't do some stupid population litmus test to see if we recognize certain countries. If we did, there are several that are smaller than your city and we wouldn't recognize them (I have yet to find out why we're using U.S. cities as a standard for "ideal state population," by the way).

You are a joke.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »

Nuke the rest of the world and build a bubble over the US. That will solve everything.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »

Population does not determine whether or not an area is a recognized, independent state, you imbecile.

Sorry but we don't determine whether or not we recognize a country based on whether or not they're "jokes" in the opinion of some dope like yourself.

I'm not debating whether or not we ought to recognize certain countries. I'm arguing against your asinine thought that the American government shouldn't recognize the Vatican because we don't recognize other high ranking religious figures. The reason why this happens is simple though - whether you like it or not, Vatican City is an independent, sovereign nation and is recognized for that reason, not just because it represents Catholics.

Then why does the US not recognize Palestine, Nagorno-Karabakh, Somaliland, the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Trandneister, South Ossetia and Abkhazia? Are all also indepedent sovereign nations, effectively. As is Mount Athos as I mentioned.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »

Then why does the US not recognize Palestine, Nagorno-Karabakh, Somaliland, the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Trandneister, South Ossetia and Abkhazia? Are all also indepedent sovereign nations, effectively. As is Mount Athos as I mentioned.

Because there are also political reasons why certain areas aren't recognized.

I know you have your juvenile, dopey reasons for not wanting to recognize the Vatican. We all get it, little boy. But, again, I'm not having that discussion with you. The only reason I posted here was to call out your ridiculous reasons for why the Vatican isn't a "real state" and your comparisons of a sovereign nation to your neighborhood/city.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »

I'm no fan of Catholicism either, but even I would recognize the Vatican.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »

Funny thing is that ending Vatican relations won't go over well with Cuban people. Just ask Fidel.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »

Well, I agree with you about Somaliland Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies