Opinion of Lyndon Johnson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 11:49:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Lyndon Johnson
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Lyndon Johnson
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Opinion of Lyndon Johnson  (Read 5626 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2009, 05:48:46 AM »

He was very much both in my opinion. This is a good example of why HP-FF is a false dichothomy. Johnson was the embodiment of a horrible person. But he was also a freedom fighter in many respects.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2009, 07:32:27 AM »

He was very much both in my opinion. This is a good example of why HP-FF is a false dichothomy. Johnson was the embodiment of a horrible person. But he was also a freedom fighter in many respects.

That's exactly the reason why I think his life is prime material for a fascinating movie.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »

How was Iraq dumber than Vietnam? 
Because of the very different circumstances of the decision-taking?
With hindsight, Vietnam was much more... wrong.

Really?  Why?

I'd say Iraq had the oil-to-steal aspect going for it, but Vietnam had the hot hookers for the servicemen in the region (not that the big wigs cared about that).

But politically speaking, at least in Vietnam there was an extant bunch of right-wing thugs (the government of S. Vietnam) who wanted us there...  In Iraq we had to barge in without any excuse whatsoever.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2009, 09:43:30 PM »

I'd say Iraq had the oil-to-steal aspect going for it
Has oil actually been stolen?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 10:06:38 PM »

I'd say Iraq had the oil-to-steal aspect going for it
Has oil actually been stolen?

Well, you know - in theory that made Iraq a better candidate, since Vietnam had less stealable stuff.

Though obviously in any war the real object for theft is the US treasury, not the victim nation.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2009, 07:00:44 AM »

How was Iraq dumber than Vietnam? 
Because of the very different circumstances of the decision-taking?
With hindsight, Vietnam was much more... wrong.

Really?  Why?

I'd say Iraq had the oil-to-steal aspect going for it, but Vietnam had the hot hookers for the servicemen in the region (not that the big wigs cared about that).

But politically speaking, at least in Vietnam there was an extant bunch of right-wing thugs (the government of S. Vietnam) who wanted us there...  In Iraq we had to barge in without any excuse whatsoever.
Different definition of "wrong"...

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »

Lief, I always had you pegged as someone who would be anti-LBJ.  Texan pride?
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2009, 05:21:09 PM »

HP.  Only redeeming accomplishment is the Civil Rights Act, but even that isn't enough.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »

Nah, he was just our most progressive president not named FDR. I guess Texan pride is a little bit of it, but not enough to make me like somebody (e.g. Bush and Bush Jr.).
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2009, 06:10:56 PM »

Nah, he was just our most progressive president not named FDR. I guess Texan pride is a little bit of it, but not enough to make me like somebody (e.g. Bush and Bush Jr.).

Bush is practically a clone of LBJ in their policies. Big Federal Government, Open Borders, Interventionist. I don't understan these liberals who hate Bush but admire LBJ. They are one in the same.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »

Bush is practically a clone of LBJ in their policies. Big Federal Government, Open Borders, Interventionist. I don't understan these liberals who hate Bush but admire LBJ. They are one in the same.

They aren't even close.  LBJ tried to help the poor with his policies; Bush tried to help the super-wealthy.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »

I have to agree with this statement. While I respect him greatly for his fight for Civil Rights I don't like his role in greatly expanding government and the pointless surge of troops in Vietnam. There must be a third way!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »

I have to agree with this statement. While I respect him greatly for his fight for Civil Rights I don't like his role in greatly expanding government and the pointless surge of troops in Vietnam. There must be a third way!

Very true; that's why I usually do Positve-Neutral-Negative in my polls.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2009, 03:35:48 PM »

For me, the most fascinating presidential personality.

Epic FF for the passing of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Act. He did what was right, even though he was fully aware it would harm irreparably his party. And I agree with Hillary on that: it's because of him, more than anybody else, that Barack Obama sits in the Oval Office as we speak.

He botched Vietnam of course. But then again as one of my compatriots said ''Little men make little mistakes. Big men make big mistakes''.

P.S. Forgot to add the poll.

The Great Society was both visionary and morally correct.  His stance on Civil Rights was courageous and prescient.  Vietnam, though its roots are traced back as far as Eisenhower, can be lain on one of Lyndon's shoulders and one of Dick Nixon's.  It was a crime against humanity, regardless of how well intentioned many of its participants were.

Your use of the term "fascinating Presidential personality" couldn't be more correct, Pbx.  I am hard pressed to think of a more colorful President.  Uncouth and foul-mouthed one minute, genteel and persuasive the next.  I suspect no President would have been more interesting to watch (as a "fly on the wall") than LBJ.  I love how other pols describe getting "the treatment"....
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »

Certainly his motivations were far from pure, but the only people with pure motivations when LBJ was raised were the CPUSA, and they weren't good for a thing. Actions speak louder than motives.

FF.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies