Is Gordon Brown silly enough to let this happen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:06:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is Gordon Brown silly enough to let this happen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Gordon Brown silly enough to let this happen?  (Read 1997 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »

The thought is that Brown will wait until the very last day (May 10th - Rick Santorum's Birthday Wink ) to call for a new election. If this happens, how do "they" (and who is they exactly?) determine when the actual election will take place? And that leads me to the big question...

The World Cup starts June 11th. What if waiting until May 10th means an election during the first week of the World Cup? Surely Brown can't be crazy enough to do that so does that mean we won't see him wait until May 10th or is the campaign unlikely to last a month long?

By the way, if the election is in May, I'm going to be very busy...

Early May - Graduation
Mid May - PA primary

I'm going to be going crazy if there's something else to follow during that month!  Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »

Elections are typically made to coincide. Local elections will be in early May, so the GE will also be in early May. (Locals are in June this year to coincide with Euros, which are fixed outside of Britain. Locals are usually in May and would have been had Euros stayed in May.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:36:15 PM »

Elections are typically made to coincide. Local elections will be in early May, so the GE will also be in early May. (Locals are in June this year to coincide with Euros, which are fixed outside of Britain. Locals are usually in May and would have been had Euros stayed in May.)

Ah, ok, good. Thanks. Any idea what week the local elections are set for in May 2010?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:45:30 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2009, 12:51:20 AM by Verily »

Ah, ok, good. Thanks. Any idea what week the local elections are set for in May 2010?

Usually they're the first Thursday in May. This year they were to be on May 7. I think May 6 is the first Thursday next year. Elections are always (by convention) on Thursdays.

It's still possible that an election will be called in early fall if Labour senses a political advantage in doing so. It's doubtful that there would be a political advantage, of course. The latest such an election could legitimately happen is probably October, maybe early November. If we make it into mid-September without an election call, the election will almost certainly be May 6.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 04:54:15 AM »

Elections are typically made to coincide.

Yes, but that's a very new tradition, no older than Major's decision to call the '97 election on the date the County Councils were up. The '79 election also had local elections on the same day (for metropolitan boroughs and some districts) but that's it, I think. Of course until a few decades ago most local elections were held in the autumn.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 08:31:29 AM »

The thought is that Brown will wait until the very last day (May 10th - Rick Santorum's Birthday Wink ) to call for a new election. If this happens, how do "they" (and who is they exactly?) determine when the actual election will take place? And that leads me to the big question...

The World Cup starts June 11th. What if waiting until May 10th means an election during the first week of the World Cup? Surely Brown can't be crazy enough to do that so does that mean we won't see him wait until May 10th or is the campaign unlikely to last a month long?

By the way, if the election is in May, I'm going to be very busy...

Early May - Graduation
Mid May - PA primary

I'm going to be going crazy if there's something else to follow during that month!  Tongue

In a nutshell, YES!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »

Does it really matter?  We're just questioning when Brown is going to get his ass kicked in and by how much.  Seriously.

Given the time frame, I suspect the longer he wants, the worse it's going to be.  He probably thinks otherwise.  He's wrong.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »

Does it really matter?  We're just questioning when Brown is going to get his ass kicked in and by how much.  Seriously.

Despite knowing the likely result, I still want to follow it and there's a chance that the race will be occuring during a not so ideal time.  Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:12:26 AM »

(May 10th - Rick Santorum's Birthday Wink )

The World Cup starts June 11th. What if waiting until May 10th means an election during the first week of the World Cup?

Early May - Graduation
Mid May - PA primary

The above are the only factors that Brown should consider when selecting the election date.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:16:12 AM »

(May 10th - Rick Santorum's Birthday Wink )

The World Cup starts June 11th. What if waiting until May 10th means an election during the first week of the World Cup?

Early May - Graduation
Mid May - PA primary

The above are the only factors that Brown should consider when selecting the election date.

LOL

Joe, you are the greatest.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »

I'm guessing it'll be the 6th, since it was going to be the 7th this year, but it was changed for the Euros.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 04:40:32 PM »

I'm guessing it'll be the 6th, since it was going to be the 7th this year, but it was changed for the Euros.

Yes, the 6th.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies