Germany bans Monsanto's GM maize
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:34:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Germany bans Monsanto's GM maize
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Germany bans Monsanto's GM maize  (Read 3765 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 05:31:46 PM »

So, currently there are no differences. Most the changes right now are for making stuff easier to grow. However, in the future some GM foods will be engineered for increased nutrition.

All well and good, but I'd like to know if what I buy is GM, and what sort of modifications that particular food has. Until then, I won't knowingly buy or consume GM food.

Do you buy your vegetables at a supermarket? Do you eat a restaurants that get their vegetables from large food corporations? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, you eat GM food.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 08:25:52 PM »

I can't wait until we can stop killing millions (billions?) of large mammals every year to feed our protein needs.  Synthetic ham will kick ass.  Will the hippies and Germans be afraid of that too?
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »

Do you buy your vegetables at a supermarket? Do you eat a restaurants that get their vegetables from large food corporations? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, you eat GM food.

I refer you to my one of my previous posts:

While I wouldn't knowingly chow down on GM foods, I'm almost certain I eat it regularly. The food's pretty secondary to Monsanto itself in my mind.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:42 PM »

While I'm generally sympathetic to the environmental movement, they're dead wrong about GM foods.  Germany's just being silly here.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 12:32:30 AM »

A new Emnid poll shows clearly what Germans want:

78% want a GM ban
16% not

80% of the people in Western Germany are in favor of a ban, 70% in Eastern Germany and 85% of students.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 09:31:34 AM »

And here I thought Germans liked science and it was the nutty Americans that were afraid of it.  The stereotype that Germans are a logical people fades more and more every year.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 05:51:48 AM »

I come from maybe the most anti-GMOs country from the world (ever heard about José Bové?), and I'm not by principle opposed to GMOs, but pardon, let's be humble and let's scientific studies say whether or not GMOs could be a problem in the future before affirming "It's fully OK, let's go".

Then, no, it's not like it has been said here, it's not just an acceleration of the nature, first we are sometimes mixing plants genes with animals genes, and overall, Monsanto succeeded in putting some pesticides in one of its most sold GMOs, just knowing that should make acknowledge that there could be a problem.

Personally, I don't fear GMOs, but as long as you don't show me a clear benefit to use it, I don't see the reason to use it. Lotta studies shew that for each GMO created, there could be a solution by "normal" agriculture, and sometimes GMOs are even worse than "normal" cultures in the results they give. Ever heard of the wave of suicide of Indian peasants because of the failure of Monsanto GMOs?

Show me the benefits please, now the only benefits I see are for GMO companies, Monsanto ahead.

On a side note, here in France, it is an obligation to put on the product you buy if more than 1% of GMOs could have entered in its composition.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 07:26:44 AM »

Humans have been genetically modifying corn for centuries. Most of the corn we eat today didn't even exist in 1900.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2009, 09:49:09 AM by Torie »

Nobody is forcing you (or them) to buy GM food. 

Actually, we're very rarely told what additive, or ingredient is GM, here in the states.

Pertaining to the thread; Good for Germany.  Fúck Monsanto to hell.

What's so bad about GM food?

Ask my nephew sbane. He claims to be an "expert" on this matter, and GM is the great Satan on his planet or planets.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies