Germany bans Monsanto's GM maize
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:26:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Germany bans Monsanto's GM maize
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Germany bans Monsanto's GM maize  (Read 3764 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:57:29 AM »

Germany is to ban the cultivation of genetically modified (GM) maize - the only GM crop widely grown in Europe.

The decision, announced on Tuesday by German Agriculture Minister Ilse Aigner, is a blow to the US biotech firm Monsanto, which markets the maize.

Monsanto's variety, called MON 810, is resistant to the corn borer, a moth larva which eats the stem.

MON 810 is controversial in the EU. Several countries have banned it, defying the European Commission.

Ms Aigner, a member of the conservative Bavaria-based Christian Social Union (CSU), said she had concluded that "there is a justifiable reason to believe that... MON 810 presents a danger to the environment".

The variety has been allowed in Germany since 2005. Ms Aigner said the decision to ban it now, based on new data, was purely scientific, not political. She also said it was a specific case, and not a fundamental decision against all GM crops.

In March EU governments resisted European Commission pressure to get bans on MON 810 lifted. The commission wanted Austria and Hungary to allow cultivation of MON 810. The variety is also banned in France and Greece.

The UK was among a handful of countries that supported the commission's position, the AFP news agency reports.

Germany was planning to sow MON 810 on just 3,600 hectares (8,892 acres) for this summer's harvest, mostly in its eastern states.

Opponents of GM crops say more scientific data is needed, arguing that their long-term genetic impact on humans and wildlife could be harmful.

The biotech industry says the crops are as safe as traditional varieties, and that they would provide plentiful, cheaper food.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7998181.stm
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:32:05 AM »

Opponents of GM crops say more scientific data is needed, arguing that their long-term genetic impact on humans and wildlife could be harmful.

The biotech industry says the crops are as safe as traditional varieties, and that they would provide plentiful, cheaper food.
Yeah, screw cheap food!  Let the poor starve like they always have.  What, there is no science to back up the dangers of genetically modified food?  Then lets say we need more testing, nobody could have a problem with that!  If they do they can easily be ignored as they are obviously in the pocket of Monsanto and don't care about the bunnies and the children.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:21:55 AM »

Yeah, let's watch the results on North-Americans before eating this. That's cool, we've a large scale experiment on more than 300 millions people, why hurrying ourselves to get it...?? Wink That's said, hey, Europeans didn't force North-America to go in this even not knowing the consequences on long term.

Let the poor starve like they always have.

Actually, several surveys shew that we can make accessible food for starving countries without GM methods, but of course the surveys don't come from Monsanto.

UN make a survey that shew that if we decided it, it could be possible to feed 9 or 12 billions (I no more remember which number it is but it's one of both) of people with organic food. So if we can do that in theory only with organic food, in practice, we can at least improve food industry, and avoid GM and continue to study it...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:01:42 AM »

Actually, several surveys shew that we can make accessible food for starving countries without GM methods, but of course the surveys don't come from Monsanto.
Which is why I said "cheap".  We've always been able to feed the world, lack of food is not why people starve.  Starvation has almost always been caused by sh**tty govts.  Poor people in the west need to eat too though, they should have the option of cheaper food if we can make it cheaper for them.  Nobody is forcing you (or them) to buy GM food.  Feel free to continue looking for the "bad things" too...of course.  Hell, look harder.

(And you are aware that almost all the food we eat has been genetically modified.  Cows didn't look like that before they were domesticated.  We altered their genes.  This is not part of my argument.)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »

Which is why I said "cheap".  We've always been able to feed the world, lack of food is not why people starve.  Starvation has almost always been caused by sh**tty govts.  Poor people in the west need to eat too though, they should have the option of cheaper food if we can make it cheaper for them.  Nobody is forcing you (or them) to buy GM food.  Feel free to continue looking for the "bad things" too...of course.  Hell, look harder.

(And you are aware that almost all the food we eat has been genetically modified.  Cows didn't look like that before they were domesticated.  We altered their genes.  This is not part of my argument.)

First I'm favorable to continue studies on GMOs, I'm not a fanatic against this, but well, if we can take other ways given we're not sure of that one, why taking that one?? Let's focus on studying, and let's try it if we think the benefit is higher than the risk.

Of course, everyone buys what the hell he wants as food, but that's not the problem with GMOs. The problem is that the culture in open field make that their pollens fly by winds, bees, others, and go to contaminate the cultures without GMOs. For example, I wonder of the relevance on the long term of France's interdiction when Spain allows this on our south border. Same thing for Mexican corn with US.

Then, I agree with the fact that we have already modified genes of animals and plants because of all crossings we made for thousands of years now. But, you might know the argument of the opponents concerning this, they say that that's the first time we cross genes of plants with genes of animals, they say we break a strong barrier here.

Personally the hell I don't know the relevance of this, I just think we should continue to study it with all cautions we can take for avoiding contaminations because it seems it is possible with strong cautions, even in open fields, and then use it when we think benefit is higher than risk.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »

There aren't any GM projects aimed at making food cheaper, dead0man.

Nor is there any reason (stupid scare stories from years ago aside) to believe it directly dangerous for humans.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »

Disease-resistant crops would presumably produce more, which would result in greater supply, which would indeed make it cheaper.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Certainly true. The very notion that a minor change in the genetics of something we eat could be dangerous is frankly absurd from a scientific viewpoint and should not even be taken seriously. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no understanding whatsoever of biology (or a vested interest in thinking otherwise).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 02:27:23 PM »

Disease-resistant crops would presumably produce more, which would result in greater supply, which would indeed make it cheaper.
If they weren't proprietary, this would be theoretically true.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »

If they weren't proprietary, this would be theoretically true.

In the long term, it would be true. But of course widespread adoption would/will not come overnight. Partially due to propriety, yes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »

I just noticed that the BBC article doesn't reference the studies the decision was based on at all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 07:18:02 PM »

Nor is there any reason (stupid scare stories from years ago aside) to believe it directly dangerous for humans.
Anything done to increase yield per acre (or whatever) makes food cheaper.  If Monsanto makes their corn bigger and less likely to be eaten by bugs, they are going to get a lot more corn per area planted.  Monsanto is going to make more money because they can sell their seed at a higher price, and the farmer will gladly pay that if he knows it's going to result in the farmer getting a lot more corn than he usually does.  If a lot of farmers make the change, there will be TONS of more corn on the market.  That makes corn cheaper.  That makes your Fruit Loops cheaper.  That means more poor people can get more food/have more money to spend on other things.

I agree with you that Monsanto doesn't do this to make corn cheaper, they do it to make money.  The side benifit is cheaper corn though.  Henry Ford didn't use the assembly line to make cars cheaper to sell, he did it because it made the cars cheaper to make.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »

I'm very pro GM crops. However, considering what Monsanto pulled before with stuff like Posilac (actually, still is pulling here) I'm sort of torn. If any company deserves this level of distrust and hostility it's them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:09:26 PM »

Very true.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 09:20:05 PM »

Nobody is forcing you (or them) to buy GM food. 

Actually, we're very rarely told what additive, or ingredient is GM, here in the states.

Pertaining to the thread; Good for Germany.  Fúck Monsanto to hell.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »

Actually, we're very rarely told what additive, or ingredient is GM, here in the states.

Pertaining to the thread; Good for Germany.  Fúck Monsanto to hell.

What's so bad about GM food?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »

There's no reason to. Not only is there no evidence for there being any danger, it is in fact biologically impossible for there to be any danger. We're not talking about weird hormones or pesticides here. Demanding information about whether something is GM or not is just plain ignorant. There's no kinder way to put it.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 10:07:53 PM »

Pertaining to the thread; Good for Germany.  Fúck Monsanto to hell.

In and of itself, possibly nothing, but forgive me for not being trusting. My main problem is Monsanto itself, and their business practices; outrageous lawsuits, and the creation of "terminator seeds". It disgusts me.

There's no reason to. Not only is there no evidence for there being any danger, it is in fact biologically impossible for there to be any danger. We're not talking about weird hormones or pesticides here. Demanding information about whether something is GM or not is just plain ignorant. There's no kinder way to put it.

Regardless of whether or not GM foods are safe or unsafe, that they are GM should be disclosed, just like the rest of foods labeled organic or "conventional". People should know exactly what they're eating, and make their decisions knowingly. The idiocy is wanting to keep people in the dark.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:52:38 PM »

Pertaining to the thread; Good for Germany.  Fúck Monsanto to hell.

In and of itself, possibly nothing, but forgive me for not being trusting. My main problem is Monsanto itself, and their business practices; outrageous lawsuits, and the creation of "terminator seeds". It disgusts me.

The corporation isn't something to be admired but I don't see any problems with the food itself. These are just changes in the nucleic acid sequence which cause changed protein expression. All these proteins are broken down in your stomach anyways so I don't see the problem here. In the end they are just Amino Acids.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 11:56:46 PM »

While I wouldn't knowingly chow down on GM foods, I'm almost certain I eat it regularly. The food's pretty secondary to Monsanto itself in my mind.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 12:49:06 AM »

While I wouldn't knowingly chow down on GM foods, I'm almost certain I eat it regularly. The food's pretty secondary to Monsanto itself in my mind.

But why wouldn't you eat GM food? Irrational fear?
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »

Haha, no, it's not out of fear, I know I eat it, but I don't know what's different about it, and I don't know if it is GM or not. That's my problem.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 11:27:53 AM »

Haha, no, it's not out of fear, I know I eat it, but I don't know what's different about it, and I don't know if it is GM or not. That's my problem.

The thing is that there is not much different about it. Many of these varieties could have occurred due to just natural selection, but it would have taken some time. Genetic modification is just a shortcut.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-02-566

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, currently there are no differences. Most the changes right now are for making stuff easier to grow. However, in the future some GM foods will be engineered for increased nutrition.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »

Monsanto is a nasty, horrible corporation, though this is still an inexcusable infringement on free market competition.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 02:53:02 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2009, 02:54:57 PM by Earth »

So, currently there are no differences. Most the changes right now are for making stuff easier to grow. However, in the future some GM foods will be engineered for increased nutrition.

All well and good, but I'd like to know if what I buy is GM, and what sort of modifications that particular food has. Until then, I won't knowingly buy or consume GM food.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies