Middle Tennessee mystery (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:06:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Middle Tennessee mystery (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Middle Tennessee mystery  (Read 2959 times)
Linus Van Pelt

« on: April 15, 2009, 03:37:24 PM »

As far as the northern part of the Mid-Tennessee goes (which is where the Dem vote is a bit stronger), The Appalachian Regional Commission puts this area with "Central Appalachia", along with the other regions we typically think of as more "Appalachian" than "Southern".

Economically, too, this area more in common with E KY/ S WV than the rest of the south does. First, high school completion rate, 2000:

Second, poverty rate (as a % of US average):
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »

Yes, the boundaries are a lot wider than "Appalachia" in any coherent sense; if wikipedia is to be trusted, this is mainly the work of congressmen on the border areas looking for pork. (Though in fairness, I imagine the Atlanta suburban counties were probably rural when it was set up in the Great Society).

But I don't think this affects the main point I was trying to make: north-central Tennessee is a serious mountain poverty area like eastern Kentucky, not merely a generic somewhat-downscale area like the hillier inland parts of the coastal southern states.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies