Baddass American Crew Retake Ship From Pirates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:32:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Baddass American Crew Retake Ship From Pirates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Baddass American Crew Retake Ship From Pirates  (Read 3744 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7990566.stm

Hijacked US crew 'retake vessel'

US crew members have retaken their hijacked ship but their captain is still being held by Somali pirates on a lifeboat, reports say.

Pentagon sources and relatives of the Maersk Alabama's 20 crew were earlier quoted as saying the ship was back under control after a struggle.

But later reports emerged that the captain was still in the hands of the hijackers, adrift in the lifeboat.

It was the sixth ship seized off Somalia in recent days.

It is reportedly the first time in 200 years that a US-flagged vessel has been seized by pirates.

The Associated Press reported that they had spoken to a sailor on board the Maersk Alabama who said the crew had retaken the vessel and one pirate had been captured.

But the unnamed sailor told AP that three of the pirates were now holding the captain hostage in a lifeboat.

The ship's owners later confirmed that the pirates were off the ship but holding the captain.

"We are working closely with the US military and other government agencies to continue to respond to this situation as it develops further and will provide additional information as we are able," Maersk said in a statement.

The ship was attacked by several small boats in the early hours of Wednesday in an incident apparently lasting for about five hours.

Maritime officials said the vessel took all possible evasive action before it reported that the pirates had boarded.

More than 130 pirate attacks were reported in 2008, including almost 50 successful hijacks.

Pirates typically hold the ships and crews until large ransoms are paid by the shipping companies - last year the firms handed over about $80m (£54m).

The huge increase in frequency of attacks has forced several navies to deploy warships in the Gulf of Aden to protect one of the world's busiest shipping lanes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:20:54 PM »

Dear President Obama -

Please have our Navy blow these Somali bastards out of the ocean. 

Thank you,

GM3, PRP
Proud part-time Atlasian
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:04:09 PM »

Dear President Obama -

Thank you,

GM3, PRP
Proud part-time Atlasian
not exactly an easy task.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »

Dear President Obama -

Thank you,

GM3, PRP
Proud part-time Atlasian

Just like the good old days, eh?
Jens
Angola

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »

Dear President Obama -

Thank you,

GM3, PRP
Proud part-time Atlasian
There is already a bunch of NATO warships in the area, but the pirate problem isn't solved by violence alone. As long as Somalian central government is non existant the pirates will continue to operate.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »

Dear President Obama -

Thank you,

GM3, PRP
Proud part-time Atlasian

Bombing a bunch of "pirates" the good ol' American way won't solve jacksh**t.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 08:45:42 PM »

Dear President Obama -

Thank you,

GM3, PRP
Proud part-time Atlasian

Read a history book and get a clue.

I'll help you out...start with Barbary Coast.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 08:55:50 PM »

Dear President Obama -

Thank you,

GM3, PRP
Proud part-time Atlasian

Somali "pirates" are nowhere close to the pirates of the 1700s. Their piracy is because they have nothing to lose. They're starving, they're dirt poor, and they have no opportunities. Their only chance to survive and allow their family a decent living is piracy.

Yeah, I know you'll probably answer with another round of personal attacks. Why do I even bother.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »

Yes, robbery is acceptable if you're "poor". Treat them like pirates have been treated for centuries, as enemies of the human race.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:04:40 PM »

I have to agree with States; criminals are criminals. Maybe the Somalis should get more from charity than they do, but we need to not act as if piracy is acceptable.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 09:08:04 PM »

Criminal is the wrong term my friend. I'm referring to this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostis_humani_generis .
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »

Dear President Obama -

Thank you,

GM3, PRP
Proud part-time Atlasian

Somali "pirates" are nowhere close to the pirates of the 1700s. Their piracy is because they have nothing to lose. They're starving, they're dirt poor, and they have no opportunities. Their only chance to survive and allow their family a decent living is piracy.

Yeah, I know you'll probably answer with another round of personal attacks. Why do I even bother.
eh do you really think they are still poor? they likely started out as starving farmers but they have likely turned in to criminal organizations now its not like they aren't hauling in huge sums of money from capturing these ships they are. regardless im not sure what the people suggesting they get wiped out want done they mostly use small boats that arent easy to just blow up and many times have hostages on board with them. are you guys suggesting carpet bombing the coast?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:12:01 PM »

Carpet bombing? My god man you are way to Cold War. Navy seals can get the job done just fine.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 09:18:11 PM »

Carpet bombing? My god man you are way to Cold War. Navy seals can get the job done just fine.
well poorly done bombing raids are what we usually employ in Somalia.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 09:23:19 PM »

Clinton had a bit of a pair at least....Obama has no noticeable set thus far. Maybe when he was bowing before the King of Arabia he was really looking for his cajones.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »

Dear President Obama -

Thank you,

GM3, PRP
Proud part-time Atlasian

^^^^^^^

Piracy is an act of war, lest we forget.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 05:44:32 AM »

Yes, robbery is acceptable if you're "poor". Treat them like pirates have been treated for centuries, as enemies of the human race.

I've never said that it's acceptable. I'm saying that instead of bombing and leaving, people should pay attention to the causes of said piracy.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »

I've never said that it's acceptable. I'm saying that instead of bombing and leaving, people should pay attention to the causes of said piracy.

I sense another strawman appearing...  Wait, it already appeared earlier.  Smiley

Anyways, this thread should be receiving more attention.  If this *situation* keeps going on its present path, the eventual result of this rather minor event could end up damaging the President a lot more than people here acknowledge (or are willing to acknowledge)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »

Clinton had a bit of a pair at least....Obama has no noticeable set thus far. Maybe when he was bowing before the King of Arabia he was really looking for his cajones.

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »

If this *situation* keeps going on its present path, the eventual result of this rather minor event could end up damaging the President a lot more than people here acknowledge (or are willing to acknowledge)

lol, this is going to end either one of two ways: either the rescue attempt is successful and the captain survives, or the rescue attempt is unsuccessful and he dies. I doubt the Navy is going to take the risk and lets them go ashore. The pirates themselves are basically dead right now, unless they choose to surrender the U.S. Navy.

If the captain dies, Obama declares him to be a hero, holds the usual ceremonies, and appears "tough" by ordering the Navy to engage in aggressive operations against piracy. If the captain survives, he's given a hero's welcome home, they stage the usual photo-ops, and maybe they engage in the made-for-TV war against the pirates. Either way, I don't really see how this affects Obama all that much; this isn't Tehran in 1979 or Lebanon in 1986. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »

American captain rescued, pirates killed, U.S. official says

(CNN) -- The captain of the Maersk Alabama was freed Sunday after being held captive since Wednesday by pirates off the coast of Somalia, a senior U.S. official with knowledge of the situation told CNN.

The official said Capt. Richard Phillips is uninjured and in good condition, and that three of the four pirates were killed. The fourth pirate is in custody. Phillips was taken aboard the USS Bainbridge, a nearby naval warship.

Earlier Sunday afternoon Maersk Line Limited, owner of the Maersk Alabama, said the U.S. Navy informed the company that it had sighted Phillips in a lifeboat where pirates are holding him.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/12/somalia.pirates/index.html
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »

If this *situation* keeps going on its present path, the eventual result of this rather minor event could end up damaging the President a lot more than people here acknowledge (or are willing to acknowledge)

lol, this is going to end either one of two ways: either the rescue attempt is successful and the captain survives, or the rescue attempt is unsuccessful and he dies. I doubt the Navy is going to take the risk and lets them go ashore. The pirates themselves are basically dead right now, unless they choose to surrender the U.S. Navy.

If the captain dies, Obama declares him to be a hero, holds the usual ceremonies, and appears "tough" by ordering the Navy to engage in aggressive operations against piracy. If the captain survives, he's given a hero's welcome home, they stage the usual photo-ops, and maybe they engage in the made-for-TV war against the pirates. Either way, I don't really see how this affects Obama all that much; this isn't Tehran in 1979 or Lebanon in 1986. 

My comment was made with the presumption that they were going to pay ransom or exchange prisoners.  Of course, that's not what happened as we found out a few minutes ago.

Therefore, my criticism is withdrawn, as well.  Along with any negative events that may have occurred because of it.

This is the way piracy should be dealt with.  The survivor should also get a death sentence.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 01:59:53 PM »

My comment was made with the presumption that they were going to pay ransom or exchange prisoners.  Of course, that's not what happened as we found out a few minutes ago.

Therefore, my criticism is withdrawn, as well.  Along with any negative events that may have occurred because of it.

This is the way piracy should be dealt with.  The survivor should also get a death sentence.
does the bank robber who takes hostages usually get the death sentence? unless there is a law that says piracy in its self is a death sentence which there probably is a good chance of i disagree.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »

does the bank robber who takes hostages usually get the death sentence? unless there is a law that says piracy in its self is a death sentence which there probably is a good chance of i disagree.

Piracy = high crime and misdemeanor
Jens
Angola

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »

Just saw on the telly that the captain has been rescued. 3 of the pirates where killed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies