Opinion of Jim Douglas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 06:18:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of Jim Douglas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of Jim Douglas
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Opinion of Jim Douglas  (Read 3633 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:24:08 PM »

Horrible horrible horrible person.

Hopefully 2010 is when Vermont finally has the common sense to dump this wretched piece of trash.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »

Horrible horrible horrible person.

Hopefully 2010 is when Vermont finally has the common sense to dump this wretched piece of trash.

I can play this game too. Every Democrat in the VT House and Senate that voted for this is trash. Whew that felt good.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »

What did he do about strip clubs/emo venues?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:34:21 PM »

A Sheik of the Talibangelicals.

HP.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »

I wonder what his explanation/rationale was for vetoing the gay bill. Does anyone know?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »

I wonder what his explanation/rationale was for vetoing the gay bill. Does anyone know?

he's got to be a Republican somehow, right?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »

he's got to be a Republican somehow, right?

Ya. But hey, I am a Republican, so back to the drawing board with that little riposte!  Tongue
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »

He referenced the state constitution.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »

Did he claim the law was unconstitutional so he was bound to veto it, or what?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »

Did he claim the law was unconstitutional so he was bound to veto it, or what?

Instead of me paraphrasing, I'll just post his statement on the veto:

Pursuant to Chapter II, Section 11 of the Vermont Constitution, I am returning S.115, An Act Relating to Civil Marriage, without my signature 651 MONDAY, APRIL 06, 2009 because of my objections described herein. I do so recognizing that this is an issue that is intensely personal, with strongly held beliefs and convictions on both sides. But I am charged by our Constitution to act on this legislation and by its return, I have fulfilled that responsibility.

The question of same sex marriage is an issue that does not break cleanly as Republican or Democrat, rural or urban, religious or atheist. The decision to support or oppose is informed by an amalgam of experience, conviction and faith. These beliefs are deeply held, passionately expressed and, for many legislators, infinitely more complex than the ultimate ‘yea’ or ‘nay’ required to fulfill the duty of their office.

On such an intensely personal issue as this, all members must do as their individual conscience dictates, with the best interest of their districts in mind.

It is for those reasons that I have not sought to lobby members of my own party, or asked opponents to sustain my veto.

This legislation does not address the inequalities espoused by proponents.

Regardless of whether the term marriage is applied, federal benefits will still be denied to same sex couples in Vermont. And states that do not recognize same sex marriage or civil unions will also deny state rights and responsibilities to same sex couples married in Vermont. This bill will not change that fact.

Vermont’s civil union law has afforded the same state rights, responsibilities and benefits of marriage to same sex couples. Our civil union law serves Vermont well and I would support congressional action to extend those benefits at the federal level to states that recognize same sex unions. But I believe that marriage should remain between a man and a woman.

I hope that when the legislature makes its final decision, we can move our state forward, toward a bright future for our children and grandchildren. We still have a great deal of work ahead of us to balance our budget and get our economy going again and Vermonters are counting on us to work together to get the job done.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »

Thanks. For the record, his citation was purely about the Governor's obligation to sign or veto a bill, and was not a claim of unconstitutionality about the bill's content.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2009, 02:19:39 PM by Alcon »

That's a very weird rationale.  We shouldn't have state-level gay marriage, because gay marriage won't be recognized federally yet?  Why not...?  The only things in here that actually provide an explanation are a vague reference to this being a nuanced decision, and then "I believe that marriage should remain between a man and a woman," which is an opinion not a rationale.

Of course, I think we've come to expect a complete lack of philosophical transparency on this issue.  The only interesting thing in Douglas' statement is that it seems that he knew his veto would be overridden anyway.

Either way, I doubt that gay marriage (which isn't supported overwhelmingly even in Vermont) is going to absolutely sink Douglas's re-election.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 02:23:53 PM »

Ya, the statement of Douglas is basically the null set. Isn't it wonderful how folks can string words together that have almost no real substantive content other than conclusory statements of the most banal nature? 
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 02:24:58 PM »

Ya, the statement of Douglas is basically the null set. Isn't it wonderful how folks can string words together that have almost no real substantive content other than conclusory statements of the most banal nature? 

Why, without that skill set, nine-tenths of priests would be standing in the unemployment line.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »

Why, without that skill set, nine-tenths of priests would be standing in the unemployment line.

You just might be the most hateful person I have ever met. How do you even sleep at night?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »

HP
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »

Well, I already called him a douche in another thread so it's no surprise.

But in 2010, he's gonna learn what happens in Vermont when you veto equal rights to your own constituents. Then again Vermont has a history of electing Republican governors(even now) so if he retires/loses a primary, Vermont could just as well end up with another Republican governor, idk.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »

Douglas isn't going to lose a Republican primary for vetoing gay marriage, unless that Republican primary is held in secularinternetland.  Tongue
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »

You just might be the most hateful person I have ever met. How do you even sleep at night?

What can I say? Willful self-delusion and self-inflicted ignorance enrages me. You do not have a right to be an imbecile.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »

Douglas isn't going to lose a Republican primary for vetoing gay marriage, unless that Republican primary is held in secularinternetland.  Tongue
Aren't Vermont's primaries open?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2009, 02:54:33 PM by Alcon »

You're right.  I had forgotten that.  But I'd still be surprised if a 3-to-2-supported socially liberal issue decided the result of a Republican primary, open or otherwise.  Democratic primary, even, honestly.

Especially since Douglas can argue the issue is behind the state, since the veto was overridden.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »

You're right.  I had forgotten that.  But I'd still be surprised if a 3-to-2-supported socially liberal issue decided the result of a Republican primary, open or otherwise.  Democratic primary, even, honestly.

Especially since Douglas can argue the issue is behind the state, since the veto was overridden.

Yeah exactly, it's not like his veto was upheld anyway, so now it's a moot point.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 03:34:35 PM »

I wouldn't know. Maybe there are some primary-voting Vermonters who are totally for marriage equality but prefer Republican governors?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »

Oh, right, the gay marriage veto. Good move.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 06:54:20 PM »

Oh, right, the gay marriage veto. Good move.

Ya, I'd have to agree.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies