Opinion of Graham's number
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:13:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Graham's number
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Graham's number
Freedom Number

Horrible Number

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Opinion of Graham's number  (Read 3714 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:37:36 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham's_number
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:16:11 AM »

Apparently I suck at math even more than I thought.  What's this have to do with politics?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 01:45:38 AM »

I can do multivariable calculus in my sleep and I don't know what the hell this number means.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:37:20 AM »

I can do multivariable calculus in my sleep and I don't know what the hell this number means.

Exactly. Graham's number is badassery enumerated.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:49:49 AM »

Apparently I suck at math even more than I thought.  What's this have to do with politics?

It's the projected federal deficit for this fiscal year.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »

God damn it, I thought you were going to give us Lindsey Graham's personal telephone number and its just this sh**t.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »

What's this have to do with politics?

As much as the Cambrian Explosion.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »

I hate math.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 07:31:43 AM »

This thread reminds me how much my maths skills & knowledge have declined since I left secondary school. Though I LOL at the idea of a number being unexpressable due to the limitations of the universe, I also second what PiT said.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 01:48:08 PM »

I'm kind of wondering how he calculated it. There isn't enough hard drive space in the world to hold all the digits so even computers wouldn't be very useful. It appears though that we don't even know the first digits, just the last ones.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »

This thread reminds me how much my maths skills & knowledge have declined since I left secondary school. Though I LOL at the idea of a number being unexpressable due to the limitations of the universe, I also second what PiT said.

Well googelplex (a 1 followed by googel 0's, where googel equals a 1 followed by 100 zeroes, also expressed as 10^10^100) can't be expressed due to lack of space in the universe also. And Graham's number is far larger apparently. I would just like to know how many digits there are in the number.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »

Well googelplex (a 1 followed by googel 0's, where googel equals a 1 followed by 100 zeroes, also expressed as 10^10^100) can't be expressed due to lack of space in the universe also. And Graham's number is far larger apparently. I would just like to know how many digits there are in the number.

Yes but a googleplex can be easily expressed by shorthand notation like you have there. This can't.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 08:50:16 PM »

If I grasp the concept of up-arrow notation as well as I think, the first layer is equal to 319683. The next layer's number of arrows is equal to the previous layer's value, so the second layer is a power tower of threes, 319683 terms high. There are 62 more layers after that. Suffice it to say it's huge.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »

If I grasp the concept of up-arrow notation as well as I think, the first layer is equal to 319683. The next layer's number of arrows is equal to the previous layer's value, so the second layer is a power tower of threes, 319683 terms high. There are 62 more layers after that. Suffice it to say it's huge.

Can you guess how many digits?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 09:33:46 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2009, 09:38:27 PM by Senator PiT »

Can you guess how many digits?

I could try to find the second layer's value to extrapolate it, but I have no means to figure out the value of tower of threes nearly 109391 terms high. That already is far larger than a google.

To answer your question, no. Any finite number of digits you could come up with would be far, far smaller than the number of digits in Graham's number.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »

So I read up on the arrow notation, and basically with four arrows between the 3s, you already have a number larger than a google. The next layer is calculate the same...except with the results of the first layer being the number of arrows. Repeat 62 times. So yeah, even the number of digits is a number so large we don't have a name for it.

The amusing thing is that this is the upper bound in a range where the lower bound is 6. Basically any number between 6 and this could answer a certain problem.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 03:42:52 PM »

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »

So I read up on the arrow notation, and basically with four arrows between the 3s, you already have a number larger than a google. The next layer is calculate the same...except with the results of the first layer being the number of arrows. Repeat 62 times. So yeah, even the number of digits is a number so large we don't have a name for it.

The amusing thing is that this is the upper bound in a range where the lower bound is 6. Basically any number between 6 and this could answer a certain problem.

Please let it be 6.001
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies