Comedy Goldmine XI: The Atlas Forum Demilitarized Zone
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:28:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Comedy Goldmine XI: The Atlas Forum Demilitarized Zone
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 71
Author Topic: Comedy Goldmine XI: The Atlas Forum Demilitarized Zone  (Read 193433 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2009, 11:44:25 AM »

Joe, was his cat on his computer keyboard trying to send me a message?

Lunar

Re: Obama's GUN CONTROL revealed? HR 45
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2009, 11:26:12 am »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm some person on the internet, my assurances count for crap

I'm the person who said he would eat his hat if Palin got picked as the VP nominee.  I never actually ate my hat though so I'm a liar as well.    

Not too skilled with the internets, are we?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2009, 01:30:09 PM »

I encourage people to view other posts in the thread where he lambastes JSoujourner for the original analogy with ice cream where he (JS) described the Trinity as being like Neopolitan ice cream.

Hold it right there, soldier!

JSoujourner first came up with the icecream analogy.  I just altered it for the sake of peace.

You have to understand that I have four kids who fight with me over who's getting a fair share of the chocolate portion of a box of Neopolitan, so I know firsthand the DANGERS Neopolitan can bring to a peace loving family of Christians.

So, let no one cause me trouble over fearing the terror of Neopolitan, for I bear on my body the marks of spoons!

As you were, soldier!

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:08 PM »

to me, a more accurate analogy (though no analogy is going to fully work) would be to have an infinite and invisible tub of ice cream (it can be any flavor you want, though it must be a uniform flavor, not a mixture). 

Take a FINITE scoop of that icecream from the infinite and invisible tub and place it on a counter top so that you can better wrap your finite mind around it. You can discern the presence of the scoop ice cream spiritually, you can discern the location of the scoop (it's sitting on the countertop), and communicate with it, but you can't physcially see it.  You can consume the invisible ice cream so that it is inside of you and have a continuing relationship with it. - That's the Holy Spirit of God - God manifested spiritually.

Take ANOTHER FINITE scoop of that icecream from the infinite and invisible tub and place it in a bowl so that you can better wrap your finite mind around it. This bowl you are allowed to touch and handle, though the icecream is still invisible.  - That's Jesus Christ, God manifesting his spirit in the flesh (blow).

Jesus Christ, that FINITE scoop of icecream placed in a bowl, packaged so that it can be handled, is the EXACT representation of the uniform icecream in the infinite and invisible tub of icecream.

The Trinity is much more appealing when you think about it in the simple context of an infinite and invisible tub of ice cream.

Psalm 34:8 "Taste and see that the LORD is good"

Walked right into that one, didn't you?  Like shooting tuna in a barrel. 

I'm older and I'm smarter, you could learn something from me.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »

Sometimes I get a mental picture of forum posters, and for jmfcst it's of a guy clutching a Bible to his chest and rocking back and forth in his chair, grinning and mumbling quietly to himself.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2009, 02:08:30 PM »

Sometimes I get a mental picture of forum posters, and for jmfcst it's of a guy clutching a Bible to his chest and rocking back and forth in his chair, grinning and mumbling quietly to himself.

Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe...Anytime you attempt to a decent portrayal of someone, you've got 50 ways you can screw up.  If you can think of 25 of them, you're a genius.  And you ain't no genius.

Now, I know I've shaken you up in the past, but that's no reason to continue to be disrespectful:

I don't really mind if admitting that I had no idea what jamfest was talking about makes me look like an idiot.  The fact is that his cryptic metaphors were worthless when not even provided within context, and I'm pretty confident that I wasn't the only one who didn't know what he was talking about.  I think my point is that he can easily say now that his 'prediction' was accurate or whatever, but so can astrologists whenever one of their vague or cryptic predictions actually comes true.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2009, 02:58:12 PM by JSojourner »

to me, a more accurate analogy (though no analogy is going to fully work) would be to have an infinite and invisible tub of ice cream (it can be any flavor you want, though it must be a uniform flavor, not a mixture). 

Take a FINITE scoop of that icecream from the infinite and invisible tub and place it on a counter top so that you can better wrap your finite mind around it. You can discern the presence of the scoop ice cream spiritually, you can discern the location of the scoop (it's sitting on the countertop), and communicate with it, but you can't physcially see it.  You can consume the invisible ice cream so that it is inside of you and have a continuing relationship with it. - That's the Holy Spirit of God - God manifested spiritually.

Take ANOTHER FINITE scoop of that icecream from the infinite and invisible tub and place it in a bowl so that you can better wrap your finite mind around it. This bowl you are allowed to touch and handle, though the icecream is still invisible.  - That's Jesus Christ, God manifesting his spirit in the flesh (blow).

Jesus Christ, that FINITE scoop of icecream placed in a bowl, packaged so that it can be handled, is the EXACT representation of the uniform icecream in the infinite and invisible tub of icecream.

The Trinity is much more appealing when you think about it in the simple context of an infinite and invisible tub of ice cream.

First, don't blast Jmcfst for this.  I started it with my Neopolitan analogy.  Second, as a Christian believer, I got a lot out of what he wrote.  I totally grant that the use of any THING to explain God is inane babble on one level.  But human beings are only capable of understanding the infinite to a certain point.  Hence, neopolitan ice cream.    Absurd explaining the sublime?  Yep.  Not that unlike the use of things like mustard seeds and simple oil lamps to explain eternal truth. 

I very rarely agree with our friend from Texas on much, so please let me enjoy this!  :-)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2009, 02:57:12 PM »

Now, I know I've shaken you up in the past, but that's no reason to continue to be disrespectful:

I don't really mind if admitting that I had no idea what jamfest was talking about makes me look like an idiot.  The fact is that his cryptic metaphors were worthless when not even provided within context, and I'm pretty confident that I wasn't the only one who didn't know what he was talking about.  I think my point is that he can easily say now that his 'prediction' was accurate or whatever, but so can astrologists whenever one of their vague or cryptic predictions actually comes true.

Ha ha, did you actually just dig up one of my old posts that emphasizes my point that you're a gibbering crackpot?  Nice.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2009, 03:31:31 PM »

Ha ha, did you actually just dig up one of my old posts that emphasizes my point that you're a gibbering crackpot?  Nice.

no, I dug it up to emphesize the fact the refresh rate of your "mental picture" isn't the fastest on the forum; therefore, you should be careful attempting the following:

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »

So, would you prefer to be seen by the forum as a crazy old lunatic who posts pictures of trains to somehow convey a prediction, or just as an ordinary crazy old lunatic?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »

Take this elsewhere Kiddies
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »

I just wish Keystone Phil would stop starting argume...oh. Nevermind (this time).
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »

There you go again Phil...ass.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2009, 04:08:18 PM »

So, would you prefer to be seen by the forum as a crazy old lunatic who posts pictures of trains to somehow convey a prediction, or just as an ordinary crazy old lunatic?

I spent a few minutes trying to stalk ancient mentions of your use of words like "God" but after 3 minutes nothing turned up and I got bored and moved on in my life.  Was hoping for a cool or funny post.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »

I prefer the trains, they seem to do the most mental damage
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2009, 04:40:50 PM »

I prefer the trains, they seem to do the most mental damage

And my goodness, it certainly shows in your posts.  Now that's it, keep hold of your special book, the nurse will be in soon.  Careful though, you've drooled a little.  Smiley
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »

Admin..........

Please lock/delete.....

'slike killing my own son.........  :..(
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »

Admin..........

Please lock/delete.....

Oh I don't know. I find it all amusing. Smiley
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »

Admin..........

Please lock/delete.....

no need, we can't fight in here.  See the sign?  It's a Demilitarized Zone
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »

Admin..........

Please lock/delete.....

You don't find any comedy in our back-and-forth?  I've no doubt that jmfcst and I both do.  Smiley
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=95011.0
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »

Psalm 34:8 "Taste and see that the LORD is good"

Well duh.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2009, 08:36:39 PM »

*Bows head*

Ramen.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2009, 11:51:28 PM »

Disclaimer: this isn't a comedy post, just a quick reply which should hopefully be the end of it.

I encourage people to view other posts in the thread where he lambastes JSoujourner for the original analogy with ice cream where he (JS) described the Trinity as being like Neopolitan ice cream.

Hold it right there, soldier!

JSoujourner first came up with the icecream analogy.  I just altered it for the sake of peace.

You have to understand that I have four kids who fight with me over who's getting a fair share of the chocolate portion of a box of Neopolitan, so I know firsthand the DANGERS Neopolitan can bring to a peace loving family of Christians.

So, let no one cause me trouble over fearing the terror of Neopolitan, for I bear on my body the marks of spoons!

As you were, soldier!

First, don't blast Jmcfst for this.  I started it with my Neopolitan analogy.  Second, as a Christian believer, I got a lot out of what he wrote.  I totally grant that the use of any THING to explain God is inane babble on one level.  But human beings are only capable of understanding the infinite to a certain point.  Hence, neopolitan ice cream.    Absurd explaining the sublime?  Yep.  Not that unlike the use of things like mustard seeds and simple oil lamps to explain eternal truth. 

I very rarely agree with our friend from Texas on much, so please let me enjoy this!  :-)

I did mention that JS came up with the original analogy in the post jmf quoted, but my sentence was written a little strangely. And anyway, you two shouldn't think that I was making fun of either of you - I quite enjoyed the exchanges in that thread and the answers provided to my own questions. I just had to take a step back and laugh at the whole analogy and how deeply into it jmf was going. So I hope this will be the end of that.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2009, 12:17:12 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies