Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:45:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27
Author Topic: Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years  (Read 69520 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: June 03, 2009, 06:56:01 PM »

This is why we have to improve our education system.  Some people are still emerging out of it intensely self-unaware

Great liberal social engineering.   Teach our children that's its ok to be homosexual?

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #526 on: June 03, 2009, 06:57:20 PM »

This is why we have to improve our education system.  Some people are still emerging out of it intensely self-unaware

Great liberal social engineering.   Teach our children that's its ok to be homosexual?

Isn't it?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #527 on: June 03, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »

Or at least that you're a weirdo if you start proclaiming the end of the world is near if they do that.

Or at least put you around enough people that will give you the heads up.

Somebody's got to teach you that you're weird if you don't use toilet paper.  If your parents don't, I think some guided teasing in school about your poopy hands could help a lot, yaddamean?  No, probably not.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #528 on: June 03, 2009, 07:00:09 PM »

Actually, the 'social engineering' part is telling them that it's somehow not okay. That's where man intervenes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #529 on: June 03, 2009, 07:23:32 PM »

Liberals using The Full Faith and Credit Clause to force homosexual marriages upon other
states.    Digusting, and will make many people angry which isn't a good thing for gay rights.

There's always going to be some degree of backlash when a minority opinion begins to move toward the majority.  There already is.  People don't change their opinions without stimuli; raising the issue (even if it causes backlash) is a form of stimulus.

There are better and worse balances.  But either way you're forcing a majority position on a minority, whether it be at the state or personal level.  The only difference is in the clustering, if you get what I mean.

Sodom & Gomorrah = The united states in 20 years.

I don't understand why you so strenuously objected to labels of homophobia and then say something like that
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #530 on: June 03, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »

Liberals using The Full Faith and Credit Clause to force homosexual marriages upon other
states.    Digusting, and will make many people angry which isn't a good thing for gay rights.

There's always going to be some degree of backlash when a minority opinion begins to move toward the majority.  There already is.  People don't change their opinions without stimuli; raising the issue (even if it causes backlash) is a form of stimulus.

There are better and worse balances.  But either way you're forcing a majority position on a minority, whether it be at the state or personal level.  The only difference is in the clustering, if you get what I mean.

Sodom & Gomorrah = The united states in 20 years.

I don't understand why you so strenuously objected to labels of homophobia and then say something like that

Sometimes i believe Alcon thinks he can change my mind on gay marriages. Just a feeling I have when  reading his posts.

He's the only one who doesn't attack me personally when debating the issue.  Maybe its by design because some people you can't yell at or insult to win their trust.   

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #531 on: June 03, 2009, 07:36:16 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2009, 07:57:47 PM by Ernest »

I like what Bill O said about this in that its going to happen the liberals states will pass it, and the conservative states wont. End result you turn more people against gay rights then before.

Great a Country divided.

No, a tipping point will be reached, and eventually, even if it takes 20 years, the Federal Government will intervene based on the "full faith and credit clause" and require that all states recognize Gay marriages performed in Gay marriage states. So, Jane and Jill in Montgomery might have to fly to Vegas to get hitched, but Alabama has to recognize it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that flies in the face of how that clause has been interpreted for over two centuries now.  All the full faith and credit clause does is if Nevada and Alabama both have gay marriage statutes, a couple can get married in Nevada, move to Alabama and not have to get remarried in Alabama to remain married.  If Alabama does not recognize gay marriage, then the full faith and credit clause does not force it to do so.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
(emphasis added by me)

To the extent that the full faith and credit clause operates with respect to gay marriages, it will be that ancillary rights such as inheritance and child custody that are created by a gay marriage in another State will be required to be respected in those States that do not recognize gay marriages.  However, forcing Alabama to give gay couples tax benefits available only to married people is beyond the scope of the full faith and credit clause.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #532 on: June 03, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »

Yeah, he would.  Pretty liberal guy.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #533 on: June 03, 2009, 07:51:56 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2009, 07:57:57 PM by Ghyl Tarvoke »

Why is yet another thread discussing whether it is okay to stick certain orifices within certain organs and whether or not that it is okay for the state to give a backing to such a relationship gone on for an exhausting 36 pages. Because of some trollish kid whose arguments is so circular and illogical they end up crashing into each other? Isn't the best strategy to ignore him, he's clearly full of guff and can't admit being wrong. Further proof this forum is addicted to this topic, its probably the orifice-organs element I mentioned above.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #534 on: June 03, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »

Why is yet another thread discussing whether it is okay to stick certain orifices within certain organs and whether or not that it is okay for the state to give a backing to such a relationship gone on for an exhausting 36 pages. Because of some trollish kid whose arguments is so circular and illogical they end up crashing into each other? Isn't the best strategy to ignore him, he's clearly full of guff and can't admit being wrong. Further proof this forum is addicted to this topic, its probably the orifice-organs element I mentioned above.

This thread is usually about the advancement of gay marriage across the country, rather than debating about whether the world's going to end.

sometimes a court jester or two shows up for a few pages, but the thread gets back to course once the entertainment is over
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #535 on: June 03, 2009, 08:07:51 PM »

Why do people keep taking MK's trollbait though? Same question for Coburn, though he's not the issue now.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #536 on: June 03, 2009, 08:09:30 PM »

This thread is usually about the advancement of gay marriage across the country, rather than debating about whether the world's going to end.

sometimes a court jester or two shows up for a few pages, but the thread gets back to course once the entertainment is over

*Looks back over thread*

Ah yes, I see now. Okay fair enough thread.

Though there is *another* one on this very topic a bit back which goes on for 20 pages. The "Cheney Lied" thread so far has 2 posts; thanks to Kellar this one has expanded by a couple of pages in the time since the Cheney thread was posted. Organs-Orifices again.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #537 on: June 03, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »

Why do people keep taking MK's trollbait though? Same question for Coburn, though he's not the issue now.

I'm not entirely convinced he's 100% to troll.  He has done some of it here, but I try to play it safe when accusing someone of being purified trollocity.  Better to be wrong that way than the other way around, I guess
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #538 on: June 03, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »

Besides, this issue is the hot one in the culture wars right now.  Abortion's been largely static for close to two decades now, with little chance of any change, especially with Obama making the Supreme Court nominations.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #539 on: June 03, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »

Besides, this issue is the hot one in the culture wars right now.  Abortion's been largely static for close to two decades now, with little chance of any change, especially with Obama making the Supreme Court nominations.

That that is the case shows that the culture wars are over; the middle soft-liberal ground has won. This was not an issue on the table 20 years ago. (Actually it often seems to me that the Republicans were the ones trying to promote this as a national issue as to win votes in 2004; which shows that maybe Rove was a genius after all, he helped the gay marriage cause. But then again I didn't pay much attention to this issue in the states until 2004 so maybe wrong.)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #540 on: June 03, 2009, 08:57:01 PM »

I'm not entirely convinced he's 100% to troll.  He has done some of it here, but I try to play it safe when accusing someone of being purified trollocity.  Better to be wrong that way than the other way around, I guess

That's right oppose gay marriage for whatever reasons and you are labled a troll or bigoted.  Regardless of my view I must bend to your will and accept gay marriages.   

Bill O'Reilly explains it best -

"The truth is that pro-gay marriage forces have succeeded in their bigot-branding campaign and will not stop with marriage. Because they won this public relations war, you can expect to see the racist, bigot label marketed in other controversial situations. Already, abortion zealots are branding pro-life people "anti-woman" and "anti-privacy." The left knows it has a powerful cannon with this bigot stuff.

So the gay marriage debate is just about over. Conservative states won't pass it, but liberal states will. There was a time when we were truly the united states. No longer
. "

Here on Atlas its troll - branding.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #541 on: June 03, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »

That's right oppose gay marriage for whatever reasons and you are labled a troll or bigoted.  Regardless of my view I must bend to your will and accept gay marriages.   

"The truth is that pro-gay marriage forces have succeeded in their bigot-branding campaign and will not stop with marriage. Because they won this public relations war, you can expect to see the racist, bigot label marketed in other controversial situations. Already, abortion zealots are branding pro-life people "anti-woman" and "anti-privacy." The left knows it has a powerful cannon with this bigot stuff.

So the gay marriage debate is just about over. Conservative states won't pass it, but liberal states will. There was a time when we were truly the united states. No longer
. "

Bill O'Reilly and explains it best NEVER belongs in the same sentence.  What an embarrassment to Long Island.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #542 on: June 04, 2009, 12:16:31 AM »

That's right oppose gay interracial marriage for whatever reasons and you are labled a troll or bigoted.  Regardless of my view I must bend to your will and accept gay interracial marriages.   

So the gay interracial marriage debate is just about over. Conservative states won't pass it, but liberal states will. There was a time when we were truly the united states. No longer. "

There... FTFY
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #543 on: June 04, 2009, 01:30:29 AM »

Could we keep this thread focused on news regarding gay marriages/civil unions and take the endless debate where neither side will ever convince the other elsewhere? Cheesy
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #544 on: June 04, 2009, 01:38:17 AM »

Bill O'Reilly and explains it best NEVER belongs in the same sentence.  What an embarrassment to Long Island.

Hey, he's just representing the Westbury section of Levittown.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #545 on: June 04, 2009, 02:09:31 AM »

Hey, he's just representing the Westbury section of Levittown.

LOL, very true.  I guess since that place doesn't exist, we don't have to claim him as part of Long Island.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #546 on: June 04, 2009, 07:29:09 AM »

Could we keep this thread focused on news regarding gay marriages/civil unions and take the endless debate where neither side will ever convince the other elsewhere? Cheesy
Yay, there's another thread for that now. Smiley This thread is free again.

So, uh... shall we call it Rhode Island Of Marriage Discrimination now instead of "Providence Plantations"? Tongue
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #547 on: June 04, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »

What's going on with New Jersey?
I thought that was supposed to be the next target.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #548 on: June 04, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »

What's going on with New Jersey?
I thought that was supposed to be the next target.

No movement before elections this November.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #549 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58:34 PM »

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20090604_Pa__Senate_to_weigh_contrasting_measures_on_gay_marriage.html

Looks like we might get a showdown here in terms of a Constitutional amendment. It's Leach (one of the most liberal members of the legislature) vs. Eichelberger (one of the most conservative members of the legislature). If it comes to a public vote, the latter will win.

I'm a bit torn on this. I don't support a federal Constitutional amendment but a state constitutional amendment is acceptable. That being said, we already have a law that establishes marriage as a union between a man and a woman. The good news is that even Leach admits he doesn't think his bill would become law any time soon so many that will cause Eichelberger to back away from this for awhile (I'm not holding my breath though).

I'd rather we avoid the debate and vote and keep the law we already have.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies