Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:05:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27
Author Topic: Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years  (Read 67699 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2009, 02:24:51 AM »

What states will have gay marriage and civil unions in 10 years?

Here's my map. Red = gay marriage, blue = civil unions, gray = neither:

Vermont and New Jersey might have gay marriage too, but there might be less of a push for it due to them currently have civil unions.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:29:07 AM »

I think states like OH and IN may suprise people..
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:33:03 AM »

Vermont is in the middle of pushing for gay marriage. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:09:30 AM »

NH will probably have gay marriage and MT will at least have civil unions. Same with OH,IN and MO.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:06:22 AM »

Well, so is Minnesota, but that doesn't mean it will happen Tongue
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:14:59 AM »

Vermont and New Jersey might have gay marriage too, but there might be less of a push for it due to them currently have civil unions.

No way in hell will Virginia be getting anything in the next 10 years, not without a repeal of the constitutional amendment banning anything with the word "gay" in it.

And considering it's been 10 years since Vermont became the first state to authorize civil unions (due to a court ruling), I don't think there will be a tidal wave of progress in the area of gay rights that you predict. Maybe six or seven states will add civil unions, one or two for marriage if their courts make them.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:49:12 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2009, 08:05:36 AM by Holmes »

I'm a big follower of marriage equality in the US and I'm really up to date. 10 years is a looooooong time, but if I were to guess what it'd look like...

Red = marriage, blue = civil unions, green = domestic partnership, grey = banned or other

I was on the fence with North Dakota, Missouri, Indiana and West Virginia, so if they look weird, I understand, but I think they'll be more accepting of gay people by then enough to give domestic partnerships. 10 years. I dunno. Tongue

New York was supposed to get it this year, but sh**t happened. It'll happen next year or in 2 year the latest. Vermont and Maine will get it by the end of the year, New Hampshire's looking not bad, New Jersey was promised by Corzine and the legislature, and Iowa is in court right now(the arguments were in December) - people say they're optimistic so I guess I am too, but I don't know anything about Iowa's supreme court, so. Washington is getting it this year without the name, so just wait for it. It had a hearing in Maryland the other week and got a lot of support, from civil rights leader to Wayne Gilchrest. But Maryland's session for this year ends soon, I'm not expecting it this year. Rhode Island also had a hearing but Donald Carcieri.

Hawaii and Illinois should have civil unions by the end of the year, unless some freak accident happens. Then it's only a matter of time. Also, Florida is debating a domestic partnership bill right now. It'd be great if it passed, but it'd also be a miracle. Don't expect much. I just hope the homosexual protection bill passes.

It's not crazy to think that most states that have protection to gay people will upgrade to at least domestic partnerships in the next 10 years.

Oh, and Minnesota's bill. Even if it passes this year, it won't be signed into law until at least 2011. People who expect Pawlenty to sign it are just... way too optimistic in my opinion.

edit: If you want my uneducated guess, I would say that most states that have it allowed in my map will get it passed relatively quickly, then not much will happen on the marriage front, but more states will allow domestic partnerships or civil unions. I guess I'm predicting a cycle.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:14:11 AM »

I hope all 50 have marriage.  But I know it won't happen.  <sigh>
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:19:44 AM »

Unless Scalia has a heart attack. Tongue It won't happen.

Besides, at this point in time, I'd be afraid for a gay couple's safety to get married in a place like Utah or Alabama...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:32:23 AM »

Well, so is Minnesota, but that doesn't mean it will happen Tongue

Lots of states have bills in the hopper. Some are more quixotic than others. Vermont's Senate (or a Senate committee; big distinction, I know) just passed a gay marriage bill. That's a huge step that is not going to happen in Minnesota this year.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »

New York was supposed to get it this year, but sh**t happened. It'll happen next year or in 2 year the latest.

New York is going to happen when the Democratic Senate majority grows and consolidates. I don't think it was ever realistic to expect it with a 32-30 Senate, but given some more Republican retirements and defeats, it will move through. So I'm hoping for 2011, especially because they will have either a new Democratic governor or an incumbent who owes a lot of favors to the gay mafia.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Vermont maybe, but is there momentum in Maine? I think the bill was just introduced for the first time. I can't see it happening in the first session. Maine is not a state at the social vanguard.

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »

Haha, is there a gay mafia in New York? Tongue

Vermont's senate is gonna pass the gay marriage bill later today. It should get at least 25 votes out of 30. As for Maine, the bill got over 60 co-sponsors. The max is 10, and 10 senators sponsored it first, followed by 50 representatives. There was one Republican senator who also co-sponsored, and she said that she knows of 2 Republican senator colleagues who will vote with her. The governor also sees the momentum - he went from being opposed to being "totally open to whatever happens"(paraphrasing).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:10 AM »

Hopefully, the Supreme Court will at least rule that full faith and credit requires gay marriage licenses to be valid in all 50 states.  Then we'll essentially have it everywhere, and states can decide to start performing it themselves at their own pace.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 09:19:39 AM »

Unless Scalia has a heart attack. Tongue It won't happen.

Besides, at this point in time, I'd be afraid for a gay couple's safety to get married in a place like Utah or Alabama...

Good point.

I'd prefer Scalia got a heart in the first place, rather than suffering a heart attack.  ;-)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »

No way in hell will Virginia be getting anything in the next 10 years, not without a repeal of the constitutional amendment banning anything with the word "gay" in it.

And considering it's been 10 years since Vermont became the first state to authorize civil unions (due to a court ruling), I don't think there will be a tidal wave of progress in the area of gay rights that you predict. Maybe six or seven states will add civil unions, one or two for marriage if their courts make them.

Progress on this sort of thing usually snowballs. Look at the increase in acceptance in 10 years. Note how Prop 8 did compared to California's old proposition to ban gay marriage. Prop 8 wouldn't pass in 10 years, and will likely be repealed.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 01:19:03 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2009, 03:30:20 PM by SayNoToRomney »

Red: homosexual unions are recognized as marriages
Gray: marriage is limited to heterosexuals, but other options (civil unions etc.) are recognized
Blue: no homosexual unions are recognized

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »

New Hampshire already has civil unions.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's a somewhat inaccurate reading of current law. A photo from Rock Hudson's perfectly legal wedding:

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »

it's a matter of time before the SCOTUS mandates nationwide gay marriage.  it could happen within the next ten years if Obama is re-elected and there are a few timely deaths/incapacitations.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »

Progress on this sort of thing usually snowballs. Look at the increase in acceptance in 10 years. Note how Prop 8 did compared to California's old proposition to ban gay marriage. Prop 8 wouldn't pass in 10 years, and will likely be repealed.
Are you talking about Virginia? The ban isn't going anywhere soon. Tongue Even Tim Kaine campaigned on anti-gay stuff. First move in the right direction for Virginia is to start electing accepting governors, no offence to Tim Kaine. Smiley

Also Vermont so could've allowed gay marriage years ago, probably after Massachussets, but they only decided to do it now thanks to Connecticut.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »

It should get at least 25 votes out of 30.
I just wanna say, that the bill just passed the state senate by a vote of 26 to 4. I was a little too conservative with my prediction. Smiley
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »

I just wanna say, that the bill just passed the state senate by a vote of 26 to 4. I was a little too conservative with my prediction. Smiley

You beat me by two minutes. Sad
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 04:53:18 PM »

Did you watch the vote/debate? It was really great. Smiley

And I just wanna say, funny thing, 4 Republicans voted for this, as opposed to 3 who didn't. The majority of senate Republicans support marriage equality in Vermont. Tongue
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 04:56:23 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2009, 04:58:43 PM by Senator Realisticidealist »

And I just wanna say, funny thing, 4 Republicans voted for this, as opposed to 3 who didn't. The majority of senate Republicans support marriage equality in Vermont. Tongue

Yeah, I was watching it over at Burlington Free Press.

The one Democrat who voted against this was Bobby Starr of Essex. What is it with people named Starr and being against gay marriage?

I only worry about what Douglas will do. Do the Dems have enough votes in the House to override a potential veto? Will the fact that the majority of Republicans in the Senate voted for the bill influence his decision?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »

The one Democrat who voted against this was Bobby Starr of Essex. What is it with people named Starr and being against gay marriage?

I only worry about what Douglas will do. Do the Dems have enough votes in the House to override a potential veto? Will the fact that the majority of Republicans in the Senate voted for the bill influence his decision?

The Dem majority in the House is just more than 2-1  (96-47) with 5 members of the Vermont Progressive Party, and 2 Independents.   Not sure what the support levels are at, but unless a higher % of Democrats are opposed to it than % of Republicans in favor of it, it would pass an override.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 05:55:42 PM »

Douglas has said that he opposes the bill, but he didn't say that he would veto it.
With margins like that, a veto would be futile, so it's highly unlikely that he will use it.

After all, it's not like he has presidential ambitions. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies