Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 05:22:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27
Author Topic: Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years  (Read 68918 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2009, 07:51:32 AM »

Don't you understand? Gay people are just anti-liberty by nature. You allow them in a society and give them equal rights, and the next minute all of your freedoms are being sucked away in a vortex of homosexuality to be replaced by gay world domination and ritual sodomy of Christian-born babies.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2009, 07:53:19 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2009, 07:56:20 AM by Holmes »

My right to discriminate against gay people and stop them from having equal rights is being taken away by activist judges and state lawmakers. And the constitution.

In news, a Nevada senate committee endorses a domestic partnership bill, governor Paterson will re-introduce the gay marriage bill and fight for it to actually come to a vote, the domestic partnership bill in New Mexico is getting a second chance, and I just found out that the only two male Democratic senators in New Hampshire will support the gay marriage bill. I thought they were the least likely to. Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »

sounds like somebody is getting their cake and sodomizing it too
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2009, 03:21:44 PM »

Is that in any way related to sex with pie?

Wisconsin Supreme Court may look at the marriage amendment. But it still wouldn't allow marriage equality.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »

Is that in any way related to sex with pie?

Wisconsin Supreme Court may look at the marriage amendment. But it still wouldn't allow marriage equality.

Good. It's an absolute sin that people who voted "to keep marriage between a man and a woman" had this translated into canceling domestic partner health benefits at the University of Wisconsin, which is a hell of a lot stronger.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2009, 03:38:58 PM »

Actually... if you want a sin, you could look at how voters rejected an amendment in Arizona in 2006 cause it could've possibly affected straight couples, but when it only targeted gay couples, they passed it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2009, 12:08:54 PM »

It's Good Friday so I thought there wouldn't be any news, really. But the hearing for the bill in the Senate has been set to April 15th! It's the Judiciary committee hearing, and that committee has 3 Democrats and 2 Republicans - with some of the Democrats who've gone on record of supporting the bill. Smiley Usually, committee's in the New Hampshire senate vote on bills right after the hearing, so I'm excited. Smiley
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2009, 10:51:28 AM »

Smiley!

DENVER (AP) - The governor has signed a bill that will make it easier for gays and lesbians and other unmarried couples to leave property to their partners.

Gov. Bill Ritter signed House Bill 1260 Thursday. It allows any two, unmarried adults to become one another's designated beneficiary, granting them a number of rights.

Well, it's a start for Colorado!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »

Actually... if you want a sin, you could look at how voters rejected an amendment in Arizona in 2006 cause it could've possibly affected straight couples, but when it only targeted gay couples, they passed it.

Well, it was the polygamous Mormon splinter groups who opposed it the first time, IIRC. They objected to the "one" part rather than the "man and woman" part.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2009, 11:00:10 AM »

Ah, even in states like Arizona, their money goes far.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2009, 11:04:24 AM »

Ah, even in states like Arizona, their money goes far.

There are a lot more Mormons in Arizona than in California (11%, IIRC). And Arizona tends to be where the splinter-group ultra-crazy Mormons live since the mainline Mormons mostly kicked them out of Utah (or at least out of the populated areas in north-central Utah) decades ago.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »

11%! Do you have a link or source for that? I mean, Colorado is only 2% and it's right beside it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2009, 11:19:10 AM »

AZ is 4% Mormon.  CA is 2%, which is also the national average.

The following link is a useful resource: http://religions.pewforum.org/maps
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2009, 11:20:53 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2009, 11:27:48 AM by Verily »

11%! Do you have a link or source for that? I mean, Colorado is only 2% and it's right beside it.

Can't find it right now, but the mainline LDS church has about 375,000 members in Arizona, or around 6% of the population, plus the splinter groups. The reason Apache, Navajo and Coconino counties are not overwhelmingly Democratic despite containing the Navajo and Hopi reservations is because much of the rest of the population of those counties is Mormon.

Arizona is also considerably less Mormon than Nevada (around 15%) and Idaho (around 25%).

The Pew survey is definitely an underestimate; they've estimated it much higher in past years (Note the large margin of error). I found the survey that had Mormons at 11%, which may admittedly be an overestimate. It was only of "active adherents", which were less than half of the population:

http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/reports/state/04_2000.asp
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2009, 07:24:44 AM »

Hmm, well. I think the 4% is more reasonable than the 11%...

Anyway, governor Gibbons of Nevada isn't signing the domestic partnership bill that's probably gonna end up on his desk. He said he's against it for "personal" reason and cited prop 8 as a reason, or something. It made me physically ill.

And speaking of that, the prop 8 decision in court is likely on Monday. Ah, I dunno. Some people are gonna be depressed but I'm ready for it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2009, 08:04:59 AM »

What is it with Governors? It seems like you can't get a single one to support increased rights for gay couples, let alone gay marriage.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »

I dunno... off my head, I know that most (senior) Democratic governors have done stuff that have advanced gay rights, even in some unlikely states. Like, giving domestic partnership-esque rights to state workers, and the like, which is basically all they could do without the state legislature getting involved.

I know governor Blanco of Louisiana gave those kinds of rights to her gay state workers, and when Jindal took office, he just let them expire and never brought them back. Must feel good for gay state employees in Louisiana knowing their boss hates them.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2009, 08:58:04 AM »

Didn't Governor Lynch of NH threaten to veto a bill that allowed gay marriage though? I might be remembering incorrectly.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2009, 09:01:53 AM »

Didn't Governor Lynch of NH threaten to veto a bill that allowed gay marriage though? I might be remembering incorrectly.

No. You're either remembering his threat to veto a bill abolishing the death penalty, or Jim Douglas's threat to veto gay marriage.

Jeanne Shaheen also vetoed an attempt to abolish the death penalty around 2002, and then the abolition was passed by a Republican legislature (!).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »

The Republicans might've just felt it was a waste of money or something, since the death penalty has never been used in New Hampshire since reinsatement.

Hmm, well. I think the 4% is more reasonable than the 11%...

Anyway, governor Gibbons of Nevada isn't signing the domestic partnership bill that's probably gonna end up on his desk. He said he's against it for "personal" reason and cited prop 8 as a reason, or something. It made me physically ill.

Prop 8? WTF? What does something passed in another state have jacksh!t to do with this bill?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »

Your probably thinking of Vermont Governor Jim Douglas, who threatened and did veto the Gay Marriage bill and was then overrode by the VT House & Senate.

Lynch pushed for Civil Rights a few years ago, and at the time stated he was against Gay Marriage, but hasn't said if he would veto a bill or not.  A Gay Marriage bill recently passed in the NH State House and is awaiting action in the State Senate.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »

Speaking of New Hampshire, its senate hearing was today. Smiley From what I've heard, it went pretty well, but I was at school so I couldn't watch it live.

If anyone cares, the special state senate election on April 21st is really important, because the Democrat said he would support the bill. The Republican is Jeb Bradley btw, former US representative. Downgrade. The district covers the conservative Carroll county and not-so-conservative Strafford county, if anyone wants to know. The Democrat lost in the November election was a little more than 500 votes so they're familiar with him. It's become a referendum on the gay marriage bill or something, as if there aren't any other issues at all and a small conservative district is a good way to judge support...

What does something passed in another state have jacksh!t to do with this bill?
Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, Governor Gibbons.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2009, 07:53:33 AM »

Another example of "there are no words":

http://www.yakima-herald.com/blogs/checks-balances/posts/18590

You must be logged in to read this quote.

... ok?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2009, 12:01:07 AM »

I can assure everyone that children do not benefit from having Judy Warnick as a parent.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2009, 12:29:19 AM »

Minnesota had a Republican State Rep. who once argued on the House floor that the Democrats' blocking of Michele Bachmann's gay marriage ban amendment was equivalent to Christian persecution in the former Soviet bloc. He was later arrested for abusing his wife, including reports that he threw the Bible at her, and was primaried.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies