BREAKING: Bush signs book deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:48:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Bush signs book deal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Bush signs book deal  (Read 1812 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/us/politics/19bush.html

George W. Bush, advised after he left office to wait a little while before writing a book, secured a $7 million advance regardless to write his memoirs. Decision Points will eschew narrative in favor of explaining twelve of his most difficult decisions in his office, while dealing with such issues as his discovery of faith, his decision to stop drinking, and his relationships with his family.

Bonus for Democrats: the book will come out in fall 2010.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »

I'm looking forward to it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »

I'll gladly purchase and read that book. As much as I despise Bush's politics, I can't hate the guy personally, and I am interested in what he has to say.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:16:08 PM »

I'll gladly purchase and read that book. As much as I despise Bush's politics, I can't hate the guy personally, and I am interested in what he has to say.

I can bring myself to expect anything insightful, revelatory, or non-self-serving from him in this book.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »

I hope it has pop-ups.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »

will he actually be writing it or will he be employing ghost writers?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »

I can bring myself to expect anything insightful, revelatory, or non-self-serving from him in this book.

It isn't as though he'll be writing it himself anyway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »

will he actually be writing it or will he be employing ghost writers?

Seem to have been thinking along the same lines as you at exactly the same time...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 03:38:32 PM »

Yes but he's supplying the content that the ghost writer shapes into a story. Bush is going to talk about how brave he was, how he considered all the options, how his faith guided him, no one suffered more than him when American soldiers lost their lives, etc. and once he made his decision he stuck by it and did what he thought was best for America. His parents have been helpful role models, yadda yadda zzzzzzz....
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »

Looking forward to it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »

Is it true that together with Bush's book they will give a free copy of ''My Pet Goat''?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »

What did you think of A Charge to Keep? Recommended?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »

Yes but he's supplying the content that the ghost writer shapes into a story. Bush is going to talk about how brave he was, how he considered all the options, how his faith guided him, no one suffered more than him when American soldiers lost their lives, etc. and once he made his decision he stuck by it and did what he thought was best for America. His parents have been helpful role models, yadda yadda zzzzzzz....

Will they even bother with that stage? I mean, it's like you say... and it's not as though details of Bush's private life are hard to come across.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 04:12:13 PM »

I disdain all political books, so I will avoid this effort.

But isn't it telling the responses from the leftist posters on this thread, smirking and sneering at the thought of a former president, who they actually think he is an illiterate, daring to writing a book in his retirement. These people truly do believe their own nonsense, as though their collected prejudices constituted the font of all knowledge.

I am //this ready// to see just one person cut through all of this leftist posturing pseudo-intellectual bullsh**t once and for all.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 04:13:20 PM »

But isn't it telling the responses from the leftist posters on this thread, smirking and sneering at the thought of a former president, who they actually think he is an illiterate, daring to writing a book in his retirement. These people truly do believe their own nonsense, as though their collected prejudices constituted the font of all knowledge.

I am //this ready// to see just one person cut through all of this leftist posturing pseudo-intellectual bullsh**t once and for all.

Ah indeed Pseudo-intellectual bullsh**t almost as predictable as your response. Isn't politics great?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 04:35:02 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2009, 04:37:38 PM by Storebought »

Ah indeed Pseudo-intellectual bullsh**t almost as predictable as your response. Isn't politics great?

And, to think, I respected your opinions.

What I do hate here on the AF, and elsewhere, is the (obvious) attempt by the left to apply the slanders so successfully laid on Bush to anyone who doesn't agree with them. It is fundamentally illiberal since it shuts down even the possiblility of debate. I damned sick of it.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2009, 04:50:35 PM by The Man Machine »

And, to think, I respected your opinions.

What I do hate here on the AF, and elsewhere, is the (obvious) attempt by the left to apply the slanders so successfully laid on Bush to anyone who doesn't agree with them. It is fundamentally illiberal since it shuts down even the possiblility of debate. I damned sick of it.

You respected my opinions? I'm amazed.

Sorry actually, I can be a real jerk off sometimes (it's probably my age... my opinions haven't really formed yet, but I can be defensive...): but this whole conservative moralist streak that I usually see in Sam Spades posts and occasionally yours (and Dazzleman when he was here) post is really beginning to grate. Even if it is/was a refuge from the inane liberalism of most of the commentary here.

As for Bush, now personally I enjoyed a bit of GWB bashing now and then? Who, of those that considered themselves on the "left" like I did, did not? I think you'd agree he made himself an easy target, the whole adminstration did and was. However I would agree that if this continues (and it is) well into this current adminstration, then not only it is a smokescreen for the failures of the current adminstration (shouldn't we, at this time especially, concentrate on the present rather than the 'past') but is strongly anti-political; substuting rhetoric for actual analysis, thus helping dumb down the public sphere even more. And yes, liberals can be awfully illiberal against non-liberals. But we already knew this, ask most conservative leaning Christians. None of which is to say that I don't think Cheney, et al shouldn't be in jail.

Also I really think you have a personal vendetta against France which I find extremely irritating. (Not that some of the things you say aren't true...)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 04:48:11 PM »

I look forward to reading this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »

In my defense (haha) I'd have written basically the same thing about (almost) any career politician or public figure.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 08:23:23 AM »

who they actually think he is an illiterate,

Foul ball! Pointing out that someone isn't able to write a book himself, which is true of most politicians, is far from saying he is "illiterate." John McCain uses ghost writers, as did Bill Clinton.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's funny that he thinks there's a market for his wisdom so soon after his judgment was widely repudiated by most of the country--everyone except a rump within his own party. It's not my judgment, it's that of book agents who told him to "wait awhile" until, like his role models Truman or Nixon, his reputation has unsoured enough to provide an opening for his wisdom.

You're so ready to provide blurbs for Decision Points. I can't think of a better summary of the kind of bilge that Bush administration insiders like Rove and Cheney would churn out for Regnery books et al.

Go for it. If you can demonstrate that George W. Bush is a gifted author and master of the English language who demonstrates honest self-reflection and incisive self-analysis in his thinking and writing, you can "cut through it" easily.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 08:48:38 AM »

Don't BUY it though.  Library dude!  German libraries can't suck that bad can they?

(or steal it)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 09:44:31 AM »

It's funny that he thinks there's a market for his wisdom so soon after his judgment was widely repudiated by most of the country--everyone except a rump within his own party. It's not my judgment, it's that of book agents who told him to "wait awhile" until, like his role models Truman or Nixon, his reputation has unsoured enough to provide an opening for his wisdom.

What does "his wisdom" have to do with anything?  He was probably the most important person in the world during the last eight years, and is one of the most controversial figures in recent history.  You don't this book is gonna sell like crazy?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 12:42:38 PM »

What does "his wisdom" have to do with anything?  He was probably the most important person in the world during the last eight years, and is one of the most controversial figures in recent history.  You don't this book is gonna sell like crazy?

Honestly, I don't, because there is no expectation he's going to say something interesting or new that we haven't heard before, most recently in his round of end-of-term interviews. The "wisdom" angle comes from the conceit of the book, which is that it is about his 12 toughest decisions and how he made them. He has never accepted or acknowledged criticism of what he has done, so he will be restating his own justifications for his decisions, selectively choosing and reporting evidence to paint himself in the best possible light as he did in all of those interviews. Of course I'm biased, but that approach to his memoirs strikes me as more self-serving and meanderingly masturbatory than a straight-forward narrative of what happened while he was President. He is putting his own thought processes at the center of the book, and are there people who are curious about how Bush believes he thinks?

I'm sure I sound like a raging hack, but I will say that I've never wanted to read Bill Clinton's memoirs, either, because he was equally bad at framing events and blocking out unpleasant facts to paint himself in the best light.

I'd be interested in a Cheney book that spoke openly about his influence in the administration, even if it was written to make himself look good. That would speak more to what really happened.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 03:01:43 AM »

I'll buy it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »