78% of Germans want to BAN private gun ownership.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:59:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  78% of Germans want to BAN private gun ownership.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 78% of Germans want to BAN private gun ownership.  (Read 5492 times)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »

I find it funny to listen to the scapegoating crowd. According to them, violence didn't exist before guns and TVs were invented. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 06:40:24 PM »

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »

I find it funny to listen to the scapegoating crowd. According to them, violence didn't exist before guns and TVs were invented. Tongue

well, music, too.  remember, Marilyn Manson caused Columbine (even though the kids didn't listen to him)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »

well, music, too.  remember, Marilyn Manson caused Columbine (even though the kids didn't listen to him)

...according to Ralph Nader.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »

Why does the US which has far more easily available guns, far more such cases?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »

Which European nation has 350 million citizens? And can nations like Russia and China give us reliable data on internal crime?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 12:16:35 PM »

Which European nation has 350 million citizens? And can nations like Russia and China give us reliable data on internal crime?
The US has far more cases than Europe as a whole. And while data on internal crime is inacurrate in Russia and China, such events are extraordinary enough, so that information is likely reliable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 12:18:49 PM »

Guns are probably more easily available in Switzerland and Finland than the US. They're not that much more difficult to get in Canada either.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »

The US has far more cases than Europe as a whole. And while data on internal crime is inacurrate in Russia and China, such events are extraordinary enough, so that information is likely reliable.

Again, our population is much larger and more ethnically diverse per state in our nation. Sure you have many ethnic groups in Europe but they aren't mixed in such close quarters as they are here.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »

Again, our population is much larger and more ethnically diverse per state in our nation. Sure you have many ethnic groups in Europe but they aren't mixed in such close quarters as they are here.

The population of Europe in total is quite a bit bigger than in the U.S., but still, gun related crime is still probably double the European rate in the U.S.

(just a guess, I'm not quoting any specific numbers)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 12:24:59 PM »

I was talking about school shootings. Unless I'm very much mistaken, they are usually carried out by a person close to the victims.
The higher crime in general is mainly due to the greater social inequality in the US.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 12:27:50 PM »

Actually our silly drug war probably is the biggest cause. I also didn't know you were talking about school shootings.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »

Actually our silly drug war probably is the biggest cause.
Yes, that too.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »

It's a shame. You're right on alot of things (federalism for example), but America has to overcome this gun obsession to advance further.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »

It's a shame. You're right on alot of things (federalism for example), but America has to overcome this gun obsession to advance further.

Take it or leave it, but gun rights is one thing the United States will not compromise on. I would say Europeans need to ditch labor unions to advance further, but you won't do it because I say so.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »

America's high crime and violence rate is not due to easy availability to gun. Hell even Michael Moore admits it in "Bowling for Columbine". I think it has to do a lot with social inequity in conjunction with our drug laws.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2009, 10:09:01 PM »

Contrary to what you might think based on media reports, school shootings aren't an everyday occurrence. If they were, we'd hear about them less.

Going by Wikipedia's count, we've had 39 school shootings in the US in the last twenty years, compared to 11 in Europe. Certainly more in our country than in the whole of Europe, but it's not an absurdly large difference - again, it's still a very rare thing to happen. However, I will note that looking at the death tolls we see that Europe's incidents have a higher death count on average, so more of the US ones are likely to be altercations between a few students or accidents due to guns being brought in and fooled around with rather than mass shootings of random people. I'd say gun access probably contributes more to the former types of shootings than the latter, though there are likely other factors in play.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 10:35:52 PM »

...according to Ralph Nader.

I'm having difficulty finding a source for that
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 11:22:44 PM »

Nader quote:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 11:39:05 PM »

Why no link to where ever he said this?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2009, 01:28:11 AM »

http://www.nader.org/index.php?/archives/398-Corporations-and-Violence.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »

Thank you.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2009, 12:33:55 PM »

if you read closely enough you'll see that Nader actually absolves Manson of guilt for Columbine
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2009, 01:06:56 PM »

Not really, he just says the real problem is not Manson but the corporations behind him (Even though Manson was making music before he signed or tied to any corporation.) Besides, the entire thing is still a rather inane prudish rant.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2009, 01:37:12 PM »

Stilly Germans.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies