78% of Germans want to BAN private gun ownership.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:01:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  78% of Germans want to BAN private gun ownership.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 78% of Germans want to BAN private gun ownership.  (Read 5494 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article3379242/78-Prozent-fuer-Waffenverbot-in-Privathaushalten.html#vote_3360376

Here we go again, typical German reaction to the school shooting of last week.

God do I get sick of Germans' love of passing laws to solve everything.

That's how it always goes here. If a kid dies after drinking too much alcohol at a party...what do Germans do? Pass laws that will "prevent such a thing from happening again"....like raising the drinking age to 18...or whatever.

78 Prozent für Waffenverbot in Privathaushalten

Nach dem Amoklauf von Winnenden glaubt eine große Mehrheit der Deutschen, Gewehre und Pistolen sollten generell aus privaten Wohnungen und Wohnhäusern verbannte werden.

And in addition to this, some German states are also considering a ban on "killer games". (not that I like killer games...and I've NEVER played them....but that doesn't mean we should (or COULD) keep them out of the public's hands.

GOD MAKE IT STOP!!!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »

"private gun ownership" is not actually what the poll says... not quite. Not that I necessarily disagree with what your saying, btw.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

"private gun ownership" is not actually what the poll says... not quite. Not that I necessarily disagree with what your saying, btw.

no insult intended either, of course. I'm 50% German, after all. This reaction just gets me angry, that's all Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:51:14 AM »

Well, there is certainly precedent for this:

Jens
Angola

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:05:15 PM »

And it only took 4 posts to bring up the Nazis! And we all know that banning handguns is the sure way to a dictatorship.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »

I'm more interested in the psychological part here, and the willingness to propose "bans" on anything as a result of a single event.

The gun control part isn't of very much interest to me, although I obviously oppose the majority in this poll.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »

Regardless of a few niggling details, it cannot be denied that the material existence of the German worker is far better than that of the american working class, prostitution is more or less legal, and in general there is a great deal more freedom for ordinary people than there is in the US. 

So they must be doing something right.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »

And it only took 4 posts to bring up the Nazis! And we all know that banning handguns is the sure way to a dictatorship.

I'm not really being serious, but I do find it entertaining how those of the Left, especially in Germany, can find a way to relate any rightwing policy, or sentiment to Nazism, but when you have something that they favor that was an obvious Nazi policy, they don't recognize it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »

LOL @ the German guilt complex.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »

Babble Fish = f***ing awesome, BTW.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:24:04 PM »

The German guilt complex is an interesting animal.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »

Joke country.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »

BTW... what is it with European newspapers and their need to splash their pages with pictures of half naked women?  I notice this in Russian, German, Italian and French papers.  You are flipping through, reading a story, and then, all of a sudden, oh... a naked/half naked woman... for no reason at all.  Don't you guys have magazines specifically devoted to that kinda thing, over there?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 12:30:15 PM »

BTW... what is it with European newspapers and their need to splash their pages with pictures of half naked women?  I notice this in Russian, German, Italian and French papers.  You are flipping through, reading a story, and then, all of a sudden, oh... a naked/half naked woman... for no reason at all.  Don't you guys have magazines specifically devoted to that kinda thing, over there?

Small penises.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »

AFAIK Gun control is a Nazi policy only insofar as they extended German law to Austria.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »

Oh man, you really need to leave the trailer park and do your once-in-a-lifetime Continental Tour.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 11:54:18 PM »

Germans can still leave Germany right?  (the Soviets didn't come back did they?)  Then why would I care what laws Germans pass that only apply to Germans?  I think they're being short sighted kneejerks, but who am I to tell them to stop?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 11:58:39 PM »

Germans can still leave Germany right?  (the Soviets didn't come back did they?)  Then why would I care what laws Germans pass that only apply to Germans?  I think they're being short sighted kneejerks, but who am I to tell them to stop?

Someone who see and realise than they are overreacting.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 11:59:23 PM »

que?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 01:37:48 PM »

AFAIK Gun control is a Nazi policy only insofar as they extended German law to Austria.

May I ask, how common is private gun ownership ins Deutschland anyway?
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 02:18:16 PM »

Well, there is certainly precedent for this:
[trivial, unneccesary, offensive use of swastika]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 05:37:41 AM »

I'm not really being serious, but I do find it entertaining how those of the Left, especially in Germany, can find a way to relate any rightwing policy, or sentiment to Nazism, but when you have something that they favor that was an obvious Nazi policy, they don't recognize it.

And I don't get what this has to do with "the Left"... except that you're perhaps concluding from this poll that 80% of Germans are left-wing, while 20% are right-wing?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 06:57:08 AM »

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article3379242/78-Prozent-fuer-Waffenverbot-in-Privathaushalten.html#vote_3360376

Here we go again, typical German reaction to the school shooting of last week.

God do I get sick of Germans' love of passing laws to solve everything.

That's how it always goes here. If a kid dies after drinking too much alcohol at a party...what do Germans do? Pass laws that will "prevent such a thing from happening again"....like raising the drinking age to 18...or whatever.

78 Prozent für Waffenverbot in Privathaushalten

Nach dem Amoklauf von Winnenden glaubt eine große Mehrheit der Deutschen, Gewehre und Pistolen sollten generell aus privaten Wohnungen und Wohnhäusern verbannte werden.

And in addition to this, some German states are also considering a ban on "killer games". (not that I like killer games...and I've NEVER played them....but that doesn't mean we should (or COULD) keep them out of the public's hands.

GOD MAKE IT STOP!!!

Good.

Private gun ownership needs to die out, full stop.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »

Come and take my gun Winston.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »

Some German stores also pulled all R18+ (the equivalent of the M rating here in the US) games from their shelves because the killer happened to play some violent video games.

It's worse in some places than others, but the tendency of human beings to try to find a scapegoat and then enact laws against it every time someone does something shockingly bad just annoys the hell out of me. People who do things like this are mentally ill, guns and violent media aren't really to blame. If they didn't have guns available, they'd use knives or homemade bombs or something else - there's no end of ways to kill people. If they didn't have violent games and movies, they'd abuse and hurt animals like many such people do already. This kind of thing isn't going to stop just because you ban something, it's only going to change form.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies