Russian bombers to use Cuban runways. No, this is not 1962.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:56:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russian bombers to use Cuban runways. No, this is not 1962.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Russian bombers to use Cuban runways. No, this is not 1962.  (Read 3191 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:43:13 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:31:26 AM »

Harry's Monroe explosion in 3, 2, 1...
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »

If I remember correctly, you support NATO membership for Georgia and the Ukraine, so you should find nothing wrong with this - if you are honest with yourself.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »

So?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:19:26 PM »

Russia *facepalm*
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »

And what about the US, which regards the whole world as a sphere of its interests? Even a facepalm isn't enough in their case.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »

Dear President Obama,

Please live up to your self inflicted expectations and imitate Democrat Heros like Kennedy and FDR by keeping the Russians out of the W. Hemisphere.

Really,

Tyler Norris

AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:14:35 AM »

I think it's unfortunate that relations between the US and Russia have deteriorated so much. But oh well. They're just trying to make allies in our sphere of influence.

This is something we've been doing to them for over 10 years now.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »

Dear President Obama,

Please live up to your self inflicted expectations and imitate Democrat Heros like Kennedy and FDR by keeping the Russians out of the W. Hemisphere.

Really,

Tyler Norris

So, USA should quit the Eastern hemisphere following your logic?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 12:32:15 PM »

If I remember correctly, you support NATO membership for Georgia and the Ukraine, so you should find nothing wrong with this - if you are honest with yourself.

Except that Russia is not NATO.

There I said.  I know its a bombshell.

The goal of any U.S. policy should be the further collapse of Russia.  It's a tyrant country.  It has always been a tyrant country.  Let them tyrannize their own people and not someone else.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:37:48 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2009, 12:42:33 PM by Supersoulty »

Dear President Obama,

Really,

Tyler Norris

I love how Europeans (including Canadians) always try to find moral equivalency.

I find this particularly irritating as, in the past 70 years, no one has benefited from American power more than the Europeans and Canadians.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:43:41 PM »

Dear President Obama,

Really,

Tyler Norris

I love how Europeans (including Canadians) always try to find moral equivalency.

You don't think other countries are threatened by the presence of US bases around them? I know we believe that we are somehow special but other countries don't. We like to call ourselves the leader of the free world but the rest of the free world says "WTF". Now if your opposition to this is just for Russia then fair enough. Would you be ok with some random country like Indonesia opening bases in Cuba?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »

Dear President Obama,

Really,

Tyler Norris

You don't think other countries are threatened by the presence of US bases around them? I know we believe that we are somehow special but other countries don't. We like to call ourselves the leader of the free world but the rest of the free world says "WTF". Now if your opposition to this is just for Russia then fair enough. Would you be ok with some random country like Indonesia opening bases in Cuba?

I know there is some truth to what you are saying, but ask yourself, "Why does Russia want to do this?"

It's a power move.  They probably have no intention of going through with this.  Their goal is to threaten the United States and make us trade our support of the Ukraine and Georgia for Russia not moving strategic bombers into our backyard.  This is the most clearly belligerent act by the Russians since the 1970's.

It's also no accident that this is coming in at the same time as President Obama's plan for Afghanistan.  The Soviet's don't want a stabilized state in Central Asia, because that threatens there hold of the region.  A stable, U.S. friendly state their means the potential for a stabilized U.S. friendly region.  That would be the end of Russian power.

Of course, if this were just a game, then it would be fine to say "well, make the trade" but the Russians have been subjugating these peoples for years, and they want out.  The ultimate goal of the Soviet's is the restoration of the Soviet empire, by hook or by crook.  We ought to deny them that privilege, not least of which because the Ukrainians, the Georgians, the Baltic people and Stans don't want it... it's their worst nightmare.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »

The Russians are banking on the same exact thing that every anti-Democratic force has banked on for the last 70 years; Western Betrayal.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »

I think it's unfortunate that relations between the US and Russia have deteriorated so much. But oh well. They're just trying to make allies in our sphere of influence.

This is something we've been doing to them for over 10 years now.

"Spheres of influence" is a colonial-era concept that should die painfully, frankly.

The USSR regularly used Cuban bases for recce flights during the Cold War, I believe.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 01:40:08 PM »

Dear President Obama,

Really,

Tyler Norris

I know there is some truth to what you are saying, but ask yourself, "Why does Russia want to do this?"

It's a power move.  They probably have no intention of going through with this.  Their goal is to threaten the United States and make us trade our support of the Ukraine and Georgia for Russia not moving strategic bombers into our backyard.  This is the most clearly belligerent act by the Russians since the 1970's.

It's also no accident that this is coming in at the same time as President Obama's plan for Afghanistan.  The Soviet's don't want a stabilized state in Central Asia, because that threatens there hold of the region.  A stable, U.S. friendly state their means the potential for a stabilized U.S. friendly region.  That would be the end of Russian power.

Of course, if this were just a game, then it would be fine to say "well, make the trade" but the Russians have been subjugating these peoples for years, and they want out.  The ultimate goal of the Soviet's is the restoration of the Soviet empire, by hook or by crook.  We ought to deny them that privilege, not least of which because the Ukrainians, the Georgians, the Baltic people and Stans don't want it... it's their worst nightmare.

Ok that's fair enough. I just don't think the monroe doctrine is valid anymore, but the reasons for opposing this Russian move goes way beyond that.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »

Where is Russia going to get the money to do all of this rearmament with oil prices in the tank and the world economy sick? It seems more like verbal posturing to me, with a lot more bark than bite.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 10:15:55 PM »

Where is Russia going to get the money to do all of this rearmament with oil prices in the tank and the world economy sick? It seems more like verbal posturing to me, with a lot more bark than bite.

Threaten it out of their neighbors, of course.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »

Their neighbors are doing just as bad, if not worse.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »

Their neighbors are doing just as bad, if not worse.
As if that has stopped Moscow before.  Did you forget who we're talking about here?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

Dear President Obama,

Really,

Tyler Norris

I'm sorry, but this is utter nonsense.
1. Russia has no interests in Islamists operating so close to its southern borders, nor of an unstable situation continuing to provide the excuses for US intervention in the region. Remember that they offered help to the US after 9/11 exactly with those thoughts in mind.
2. What subjugation? You might have forgotten, but the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991. That Russia still has much influence in the region is mainly due to the close economic links with the region and the great Russian influence, which is still remaining in parts of the region. After all, there was a substantial Russian population and Russian was the language of education (it still is, to some extent).
3.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_Soviet_Sovereign_Republics
Something to read before spouting of about worst nightmares
All in all, why is the US permitted to have interests all over the world, while Russia is not permitted to have any influence even in its close neighbourhood? Because the US is more powerful of course, but instead of admitting that it's simply a situation of a superpower asserting itself, you and people like you have to invent the Russian "threat".
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »

Except that Russia is not NATO.

There I said.  I know its a bombshell.

The goal of any U.S. policy should be the further collapse of Russia.  It's a tyrant country.  It has always been a tyrant country.  Let them tyrannize their own people and not someone else.
So you agree that the US should work for the downfall of Saudi Arabia and China, instead of suppporting them as it does now.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »

I just love the sound of armchair Cold Warriors pretending it's 1951.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »

So you agree that the US should work for the downfall of Saudi Arabia and China, instead of suppporting them as it does now.
It wasn't directed at me, but YES, very much so.  As long as they treat their people as horribly as they do we should work towards the downfall of their govts.  The fact that women in the West don't give two sh**ts for the women in some Muslim countries is sick.

When was the last time you added something of value to a thread?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »

So you agree that the US should work for the downfall of Saudi Arabia and China, instead of

When was the last time you added something of value to a thread?
Here is an example. Frankly, how can you take yourself seriously, when you try to paint Russia as some kind of threat?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies