Should The USA leave the UN?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:54:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should The USA leave the UN?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well? Should We?
Yes

No

Maybe So

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Should The USA leave the UN?  (Read 2178 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:20:13 PM »

Go.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »

No and I hate how this is a popular view among conservatives/Republicans.

I'm a UN critic myself but just storming away feeds into everything that people say about our country when it comes to international politics.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:34:21 PM »

^^^
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »

^^^
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:17:03 PM »

No, unless the USA wants to be marginalized and lose some power on the rest of the world.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »

I might as well quote this myself then.

Oh, and I agree with the rest of Phil's post as well.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 08:50:42 PM »

^^^
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »

I can't see how it would help. The UN certainly needs reform, but us leaving isn't going to make that happen.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »

No.

What would you do without the black helicopters?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 09:58:18 AM »

Yes. We don't need to give excessive amounts of money to institutions that don't act in our own interests. I suspect that foreigners' poor opinion of our country have more to do with the several millions of foreigners killed by the U.S. even while still holding UN membership than anything else.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »

I suspect that foreigners' poor opinion of our country have more to do with the several millions of foreigners killed by the U.S. even while still holding UN membership than anything else.

You should get interest in the recent history of Vietnam and Irak, so that you might have some tracks of why foreigners can not really love you, please tell me if I missed something, were these war made under UN banner?? Same point for Latin Americans coups and guerillas.

That said, foreigners are not that vindictive, now they just clap you a lot for Obama. And, no matter the result of this poll, I would be very surprised that he planes to quit the UN.

Anyway, personally, I tend to think that the world institutions will still be more and more powerful in the future. They might will be shot again in times to come. Like what created Woodrow Wilson had been shot in WW2, but in the end, step by step, I tend to think they will be still more powerful. At worst, I tend to think that the world could be cut in 2 opposing world institutions in the future, but even that, I'm not sure.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 11:12:02 AM »

I suspect that foreigners' poor opinion of our country have more to do with the several millions of foreigners killed by the U.S. even while still holding UN membership than anything else.

You should get interest in the recent history of Vietnam and Irak, so that you might have some tracks of why foreigners can not really love you, please tell me if I missed something, were these war made under UN banner?? Same point for Latin Americans coups and guerillas.

That said, foreigners are not that vindictive, now they just clap you a lot for Obama. And, no matter the result of this poll, I would be very surprised that he planes to quit the UN.

Anyway, personally, I tend to think that the world institutions will still be more and more powerful in the future. They might will be shot again in times to come. Like what created Woodrow Wilson had been shot in WW2, but in the end, step by step, I tend to think they will be still more powerful. At worst, I tend to think that the world could be cut in 2 opposing world institutions in the future, but even that, I'm not sure.
you did miss his point we did invade Iraq and Vietnam well in the UN and the other things you mentioned, the UN was too incompetent to do squat.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 11:24:33 AM »

OK, but you can't blame US for so, you can just blame your unfair behavior.

Then, I never said UN was perfect, like the League Of Nations wasn't, but UN was better than this forerunner, and the world institutions will surely have to improve in the future.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »

Not only yes, but hell yes!!! Since the UN has been founded, hasn't the world poverty rate actually increased? Not only that, but how many wars and genocides have they ignored? A lot, I would imagine. What the hell are we paying for?

Just because they have shown something of a spine to half a dozen pissant warlords, and have given several thousand people one meal, everybody acts as though we need to be super-grateful to them, and ignore their faults. Ignore the fact that they gave Hussein billions of dollars under the guise of feeding starving Iraqis, or all the atrocities their "peacekeepers" have committed. Never mind that they diverted millions of dollars from humanitarian causes to build an expensive mural so their stuffed-shirt diplomats could have something nice to look at.

Also, just forget the 2006-2007 General Assembly session, when the UN took the time to craft 22 resolutions condemning various Israeli actions, but never made one deploring the horrors in Darfur.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »

Not only yes, but hell yes!!! Since the UN has been founded, hasn't the world poverty rate actually increased? Not only that, but how many wars and genocides have they ignored? A lot, I would imagine. What the hell are we paying for?

Just because they have shown something of a spine to half a dozen pissant warlords, and have given several thousand people one meal, everybody acts as though we need to be super-grateful to them, and ignore their faults. Ignore the fact that they gave Hussein billions of dollars under the guise of feeding starving Iraqis, or all the atrocities their "peacekeepers" have committed. Never mind that they diverted millions of dollars from humanitarian causes to build an expensive mural so their stuffed-shirt diplomats could have something nice to look at.

Also, just forget the 2006-2007 General Assembly session, when the UN took the time to craft 22 resolutions condemning various Israeli actions, but never made one deploring the horrors in Darfur.

Wow

Not only yes, but hell yes!!! Since the UN has been founded, hasn't the world poverty rate actually increased?

That's UN fault??

Not only that, but how many wars and genocides have they ignored?

How many they ignored that some other noticed??

Just because they have shown something of a spine to half a dozen pissant warlords, and have given several thousand people one meal, everybody acts as though we need to be super-grateful to them, and ignore their faults.

At least they gave something. Which faults?

all the atrocities their "peacekeepers" have committed

What are you speaking about?

Never mind that they diverted millions of dollars from humanitarian causes to build an expensive mural so their stuffed-shirt diplomats could have something nice to look at.

The image is important in the world of politics. Plus how do you know they diverted? There is something I'm not aware about or they just have a part of their budget for that stuffs?

Concerning it you can't blame UN itself. You have to blame members that compose it.

Anyway, concerning all your remarks, UN is not something coming from Mars (tell me if ever you have infos on it). That are the members of it who take decisions, and until now, IIRC, they never took a repressive decision against something, they always give something, they never forbid something, they haven't means for so.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »

The idea is to try to restore the U.S.'s international standing, not worsen it from the garbage status Bush has reduced it to.  It is naive to believe that dropping out of the U.N. would not have a very negative impact on international views of the U.S.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 08:38:14 PM »

Even for people that hate the UN, leaving it isnt going to make it go away. Thus, everyone that is/was our friend is all united...except us, who has no one. Slap everyone we like in the face, and then get left all alone should some crazy sh!t start to go down. While the UN is not worth much at times, the alliances we can gain out of being a part of it may be very valuable indeed.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »

No.

What would you do without the black helicopters?

Actually, its those fierce looking power blue helmets that I would miss.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »

What is absolutely hilarious is that the anti-UN right wingers cannot see that that institution serves American interests.  Well, the interests of the top 1% of Americans perhaps, but those are the only ones who matter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies