Opinion of the Irish government during WWII
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:00:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Opinion of the Irish government during WWII
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Irish government during WWII
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Opinion of the Irish government during WWII  (Read 15502 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:06:06 PM »

HP and miserable, worthless cowards. Furthermore their Prime Minister (or whatever word they use for that) actually sent some message of condolene after Hitler's death!

Ireland in WWII = epic fail.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »

Ireland officially observed strict neutrality during WWII (though unofficially exampled strong bias in favour of the Allies). The status of Anglo-Irish relations up to the beginning of the war must be borne in mind.

I'm not a fan of a great many of deValera's activities (including his offer of condolences - though that was consistent with official neutrality), but the decision to stay neutral during WWII (a decision supported by the vast majority of the Irish people) was correct and his post-war response to Churchill is, IMO, one of the great Irish political speeches.

I vote FF.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »

I'm wondering why BRTD has not made similar threads about Sweden and Switzerland.  I wonder why, indeed.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »

HP and miserable, worthless cowards. Furthermore their Prime Minister (or whatever word they use for that) actually sent some message of condolene after Hitler's death!

Hmmm.. I believe our navy at the time consisted our precisely five dinghies, two rowing boats (but with only one oar between them) and a rubber duck... which would have been an interesting match for Die Kriegsmarine.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »

Hmmm.. I believe our navy at the time consisted our precisely five dinghies, two rowing boats (but with only one oar between them) and a rubber duck... which would have been an interesting match for Die Kriegsmarine.

On the plus side, they wouldn't sink as fast as your economy. Grin

j/k
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »

j/k

It's funny because it's True. Grin
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »

j/k

It's funny because it's True. Grin

In my head I had the haunting image of a Daily Telegraph style cartoon of a sinking ship representing Ireland and I realised cheap attempts at satire should remain where they belong - The Telegraph Smiley
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »

I think the Germans bombed Dublin by mistake at least once. Since Belfast was fair game...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »

I think the Germans bombed Dublin by mistake at least once. 

It has never been certain whether the bombing of Dublin was accidental or purposeful.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2009, 09:15:58 PM by patrick1 »

For the love of God make it stop.  I beg you.  The next time I see or read this phrase I may  snap.    I was going to make a thread but did not want to clutter the boards.  I don't mean to single you out because there are plenty of 4chan kids on hear putting it in every post too. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 11:21:50 PM »

The use of that phrase on this forum was pretty much non-existant until it's introduction by Straha.

And how about Norway?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 03:51:12 AM »

The use of that phrase on this forum was pretty much non-existant until it's introduction by Straha.

And how about Norway?

How about Norway?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 04:17:27 AM »

It was very easy to be brave thousands of kilometers away from Germany, far outside of the range of German bombers or invasion forces and when are you several times bigger than Germany. And yet the US didn't join the allies until they were attacked themselves. And if Hitler hadn't been stupid enough to declare war on them, they probably wouldn't have joined the war against Germany either.
So perhaps you shouldn't speak so boldly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 06:53:43 AM »

For the love of God make it stop.  I beg you.  The next time I see or read this phrase I may  snap.    I was going to make a thread but did not want to clutter the boards.  I don't mean to single you out because there are plenty of 4chan kids on hear putting it in every post too. 

Epic Fail

Grin
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 12:43:40 PM »

It was very easy to be brave thousands of kilometers away from Germany, far outside of the range of German bombers or invasion forces and when are you several times bigger than Germany. And yet the US didn't join the allies until they were attacked themselves. And if Hitler hadn't been stupid enough to declare war on them, they probably wouldn't have joined the war against Germany either.

But was the US full of German collaberators like all that IRA trash?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »

... Which contained something like a whole 70* members at the time, many of whom were in prison due to that very same Irish State you hate to so much.

* Obviously not exact, but the IRA was not a significant force in Irish politics from the 1930s onwards till their reformation at the end of the 60s.

Many of those IRA collaberators funnily enough considered themselves as communists btw.

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »

HP, which it gets automatically seeing as De Valera was leader.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »

... Which contained something like a whole 70* members at the time, many of whom were in prison due to that very same Irish State you hate to so much.

* Obviously not exact, but the IRA was not a significant force in Irish politics from the 1930s onwards till their reformation at the end of the 60s.

Many of those IRA collaberators funnily enough considered themselves as communists btw.

This is one of those times that arguing with BRTD feels like kicking a baby.  He is just so tragically uninformed that I almost feel sorry for him.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »

And how about Norway?

How about Norway?

Yeah.  Norway was neutral.  The Nazis simply invaded.  He has no point.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »

This is one of those times that arguing with BRTD feels like kicking a baby.  He is just so tragically uninformed that I almost feel sorry for him.

But refuting his stupendous blather by posts half in jest is quite amusing, methinks.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »

And how about Norway?

Norway declared war on Germany?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »

It was very easy to be brave thousands of kilometers away from Germany

And what is still far more easy is to judge people who lived a time of war when we don't.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »

And how about Norway?

Norway declared war on Germany?

The only two countries that actually declared war on Germany in the entire war were England and France, IIRC, and at the time of the declaration, neither had any intention of following through on it.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »

Cowards.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »

Wasn't Russia sending supply trains to Germany up until the very moment Hitler invaded?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies