So I just experienced my first earthquake
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 10:32:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So I just experienced my first earthquake
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: So I just experienced my first earthquake  (Read 5064 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:34:12 AM »
« edited: March 06, 2009, 08:06:46 AM by Smid »

Our San Fransisco posters are probably all "wow, like that's yawn-worthy" but it's my first earthquake (they're insanely rare in Australia). Apparently 4.6 on the richter scale.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25150188-661,00.html
http://www.theage.com.au/national/earth-tremor-rocks-metropolitan-melbourne-20090306-8rgc.html

So I was sitting on the couch and it all started shaking and my fiancee said "what's that" but it wasn't all that much more than when someone runs along the balcony outside. It was probably a little bit more and I said "perhaps someone's running along the balcony" but nobody came past and the rattling of the windows and glasses continued for quite a while after the main feeling stopped and she said "no one's out there" and I said "perhaps it's an earthquake, they don't happen often in Australia but they've happened in the past." It wasn't really strong enough to cause any concern, indeed, I was sitting on the couch and it made my sides feel buzzing like in a massage couch. We talked a little about in an earthquake you're meant to stand in the doorway or something, but this is a pretty small flat and there aren't many doorways and we talked about that for a bit (boring, I know). Then we sat down and watched a movie. It was only after the movie ended and we went online that we found that it had actually been an earthquake. I'm pretty excited about having been through one.

It was quite a distance off, so I don't know what magnitude it would have been here. I think Tik lives closer to it then I do, and I think Conor's a little further from it then me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:45:48 AM »

I've been in at least two little guys like that, nothing big though.  I've never seen a tornado either (or ever had one hit close to me for that matter).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:01:55 AM »

Yeah, I've never seen a tornado either, nor do I want to see one. I don't know if I could imagine anything more frightening.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 10:08:53 AM »

Magnitude 4.6 is pretty weak. I don't think I've ever experienced anything much stronger since moving up here. However, back when I was living in Los Angeles I was party to the Northridge Earthquake.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2009, 11:55:26 AM by Lunar »

I think you can calculate apparent magnitude somewhere, at least you can with earthquake sites in the US.

I remember being introduced to a 4.2 earthquake once where the epicenter was a mile or two away.  I'm sitting there with my friend and it's 4:22 am, and I'm actually awake because I'm bored and it's summer, and suddenly I think that like a party has erupted on apartment above me.  Then I'm starting to think, wait, that sounds more like the cavalry and less like a party.  And then when it dawned on me that I in fact live on the top floor of my building and I had an "Ohhhhh crap!" moment where the truth dawned on me and then sprinted to my apartment door and stood in it hoping the building door.  Also, the Earthquake lasted 22 seconds.  That's how I remember those numbers, they're weird.

I'm always very scared because you don't know when they will end.  You know you are fine in the current situation, but you don't know how much bigger it's going to get before it cuts off.  I mean, 9.0 earthquakes build up through all of the other magnitudes first, they just don't start.  Also, the Bay Area is very overdue for a big earthquake considering historical frequency.

When I had to run to a doorframe over last Christmas (I visiting home in Northeastern California), I had my first big Earthquake back home despite living in rural Northeastern California.  After it happened I couldn't fall asleep without going to a computer to see if I had experienced a local earthquake or if my apartment had been leveled way back in California and I was just rocking a little guy.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 12:27:26 PM »

I didn't know Australia got earthquakes, but I guess it'd make sense that they'd get one every once in a while.  I remember Detroit felt one that originated down in Ohio about 10 years back.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »

I didn't know Australia got earthquakes, but I guess it'd make sense that they'd get one every once in a while.  I remember Detroit felt one that originated down in Ohio about 10 years back.

these places get them:

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »

these places get them:

But what about those areas that get them, like Missouri etc...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »

Earthquakes happen on areas besides the immediate border.

For example, forty years ago, a 9.2 (remember a 9.0 is ten times more powerful than an 8.0, 10x more powerful than a 7.0 etc.), hit here:

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 01:36:13 PM »

Earthquakes happen on areas besides the immediate border.

For example, forty years ago, a 9.2 (remember a 9.0 is ten times more powerful than an 8.0, 10x more powerful than a 7.0 etc.), hit here:

100x more powerful than a 7.0 would be better.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 03:40:07 PM »

yeah that
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »

Yeah, we're not on any fault lines, but they happen rarely elsewhere - such as that one in Ohio, although I think ones elsewhere tend to be quite minor and would probably be considered a light tremor to someone living along a fault line somewhere. To give some idea of how rare it is, the newspaper is saying that the last one near Melbourne that was this strong was a 5.0 back in 1973. I think there was a 3.0 in the eastern suburbs a couple of years back, but I think the paper said you probably wouldn't even notice it.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 05:54:46 PM »

You're all okay, right? Smiley

Rin-chan
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 06:48:49 PM »

Yeah, by world-wide standards it was pretty minor. No worries at all. I think a few cracks in a few walls (not that I've seen at my place, though) but no substantial damage. Walls crack over here because of the drought, too - the ground dries out and shifts because it loses its moisture, and that has nothing to do with an earthquake, so the effects weren't all that severe. This wasn't really a big thing - as I said, at first we thought it was either a freight train rumbling past or somebody a bit overweight running along the balcony outside the apartment.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 08:18:39 PM »

Yeah, by world-wide standards it was pretty minor. No worries at all. I think a few cracks in a few walls (not that I've seen at my place, though) but no substantial damage. Walls crack over here because of the drought, too - the ground dries out and shifts because it loses its moisture, and that has nothing to do with an earthquake, so the effects weren't all that severe. This wasn't really a big thing - as I said, at first we thought it was either a freight train rumbling past or somebody a bit overweight running along the balcony outside the apartment.

That's good Smiley  It must've been pretty weird.  I've never been around for an earthquake.  There were two very minor ones a few weeks ago in Jersey, but I was at school and missed them.

I hope you don't have cracks in your walls!! Smiley

Rin-chan
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 11:50:04 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2009, 12:41:11 AM by sbane »

A 4.6 is just downright fun. Smiley It is no laughing matter though. Southern California is way overdue for the big one. I think the probability has climbed to about 99% that there will be a major earthquake in socal in the next 30 years. Norcal faces a risk but not as bad as down here.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 12:13:56 AM »

I was watching a movie in the living room when it happened, it was my first one too. Not very exciting but disorienting for a few seconds.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 02:33:08 AM »

Glad to hear you two are ok. Smiley

To me, no matter how large or small an earthquake is, they still creep me out. Whenever I feel one, I always stop what I'm doing and focus on it. I always make sure the quake doesn't get any bigger. When it goes away I resume my life. Tongue
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 02:39:17 AM »

A 4.6 is just downright fun. Smiley It is no laughing matter though. Southern California is way overdue for the big one. I think the probability has climbed to about 99% that there will be a major earthquake in socal in the next 30 years. Norcal faces a risk but not as bad as down here.

I can't wait!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 02:42:19 AM »

Re: AlaskaSabre: Considering what happened in the 1960's, rightly so.

I mean, wow.  
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 03:26:18 AM »

Re: AlaskaSabre: Considering what happened in the 1960's, rightly so.

I mean, wow.  

Oh yeah, utterly terrifying. My mom and grandparents endured it. My mom wasn't even 5 yet, and she still vividly remembers what it was like. The thing which sticks out most to her are the telephone poles. During the quake, they were hitting the ground, going back-and-forth like a metronome.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 02:26:38 AM »

these places get them:

That picture oversimplifies it a bit.  Those are the main places that they occur, but they do happen other places (like Missouri and Ohio).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 02:34:22 AM »

by "these places" I meant the whole world Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 03:52:35 AM »

these places get them:

That picture oversimplifies it a bit.  Those are the main places that they occur, but they do happen other places (like Missouri and Ohio).

Yeah its called the new madrid fault or something. I forget what it is exactly but its weird and can cause damaging earthquakes that can go on for 3-5 minutes.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 04:31:48 AM »

To me, Friday's tremor felt nothing out of the ordinary. If anything it felt as if those living below my residence were renovating the deteriorating flat once more! However, I did realise it was more than a 9PM renovation when two people I were conversing with at the time replied instantaneously "Conor, did you feel that?".

On a different matter altogether, I was amused when news reporters from Sky News pronounced Reservoir correctly upon they received reports that the tremors had reached as far as Melbourne's northern most suburbs. And I'm sure I wasn't the only person who was Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies