Would you do this in 1931?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:41:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Would you do this in 1931?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you do this in 1931?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Would you do this in 1931?  (Read 5809 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:45:14 AM »

Let's say you are magically transported to 1931. You now have the opportunity to easily kill all of the leaders of the Irgun, and effectively destroy them. They commit no terrorism, and Zionism becomes a discredited joke ideology. And as a result the state of Israel is never founded, but all the victims of the Irgun's terrorism live.

I would do it of course. The Irgun were nothing more than terrorist scum with no redeeming value whatsoever.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 02:11:30 AM »

I probably would, but I'm guessing (that's all anybody can do here) is the "Zionist" movement would have still happened.

But if I could go back in time to kill groups of "bad guys", these people wouldn't even make the top 50.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 02:37:33 AM »

To prevent the creation of Israel? You bet!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:35:24 AM »

I don't see how destroying Irgun would discredit, or even damage, Zionism. The Haganah (and related political movements) was much more important.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »

I don't know, probably not. Utilitarianism is a pretty dangerous philosophy, even if I occasionally subscribe to it. There's never really any way to know the exact effects of your actions, especially in a situation like this. Who is to say that by killing these people, you don't bring about something worse?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:37:34 AM »

Let's say you are magically transported to 1931. You now have the opportunity to easily kill all of the leaders of the Irgun, and effectively destroy them. They commit no terrorism, and Zionism becomes a discredited joke ideology. And as a result the state of Israel is never founded, but all the victims of the Irgun's terrorism live.

I would do it of course. The Irgun were nothing more than terrorist scum with no redeeming value whatsoever.

First of all, that's cool to imagine all of this but that's useless, as long as what you're is a result from the past. Change the past, you change what you are, so the question can't be asked. Maybe the precision was useless, as much as thinking about such a question!

Then, yes, sounds Zionism was a too deep movement to have been stopped by the murder of a bunch of guys. But, anyway, one more time it's useless to remake the past.

So, what could be interesting to wonder about is: Can the murder of some guys kill a movement?

Depends of cases, but when we wonder about a human movement, if you want to break it, you have to wonder how it works, how it lives, how it spreads, what can be its perspectives, and then, after a good analysis, you can set a strategy that takes all that parameters in count.

A very good analysis should show that you can't stop some movements or at least that what you can try has just a very few chances to succeed (we call it lucidity, and sounds that the biggest leaders have been the most lucid). In that case, instead of uselessly trying to breaking it you have to prepare yourself to deal with it on the long time, and to let the movement progress to see what you can do with or against it.

Yes, that's for sure, thinking that killing a few persons to stop a big movement demands less efforts!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »

At risk of triggering Godwin's law, you're transported to 1931, decide to take out the leaders of a dangerous political movement, and target The Irgun?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »

At risk of triggering Godwin's law, you're transported to 1931, decide to take out the leaders of a dangerous political movement, and target The Irgun?

Seriously, I'm hitting Hitler, Tojo, and Stalin...

I don't see how destroying Irgun would discredit, or even damage, Zionism. The Haganah (and related political movements) was much more important.

This, and would a solidly sultanistic Middle East be a good development for the world? I don't really mind having a democratic, technologically advanced, nuclear ally in the region.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »

This, and would a solidly sultanistic Middle East be a good development for the world? I don't really mind having a democratic, technologically advanced, nuclear ally in the region.

Was the King David Hotel bombing a good development for the world?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »

Was the King David Hotel bombing a good development for the world?

Better than, say, a solid bloc of land serving as a haven for terrorists and extremist, oppressive regimes. Having Israel there as a check on these kinds of things is definitely a plus.

What if Israel was never there and never bombed Osirak? Or Syria's recent attempt at building a nuclear facility. I'm happy we have something there.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2009, 11:54:52 AM by I know, this is hard to pronounce »

What if Israel was never there and never bombed Osirak? Or Syria's recent attempt at building a nuclear facility. I'm happy we have something there.

One more example of the uselessness of such debates.

Would have Osirak existed without Israel? Would have Syria tried to have nuclear facilities? Would have Arabs been hostile toward West? And would, and would, and would...

And in the end the present is still the present.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »

Absolutely not!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »

So you support a terrorist organization that attacked your government and killed your countrymen...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »

If I were sent specifically to do that, sure. Otherwise, it wouldn't be my first priority.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »

There is better periods of time to visit and clean up. Like killing Hitler in a trench during during WW1.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »

I'm personally scared to death of the butterfly effect, so even killing Hitler would be a struggle for me.

To BRTD: Wouldn't killing off the Irgun's leadership just make them martyrs and encourage even more extreme groups?  Would you rather the Irgun's rank and file joined the Stern Group instead?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »

The Butterfly effect is not possible in all situations. A "second-order counterfactual" is possible in some. Perhaps Hitler, yes. Perhaps, not losing the "lost order" yes. But If, let's say, we got a Republican President Roosevelt in 1912 it would not have made much of a difference. WW1 might have ended sooner, but we would have got a Anti-Roosevelt Republican in 1920, and they would govern until 1932, when we get FDR.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 02:19:19 PM »

The Butterfly effect is not possible in all situations. A "second-order counterfactual" is possible in some. Perhaps Hitler, yes. Perhaps, not losing the "lost order" yes. But If, let's say, we got a Republican President Roosevelt in 1912 it would not have made much of a difference. WW1 might have ended sooner, but we would have got a Anti-Roosevelt Republican in 1920, and they would govern until 1932, when we get FDR.

That's cool to have so much assurance in knowing what would have been the past if...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »

That's cool to have so much assurance in knowing what would have been the past if...

It was just a guess, and an example. That scenario would be likely.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 01:16:32 AM »

There is better periods of time to visit and clean up. Like killing Hitler in a trench during during WW1.

... or locking the door to the Presidential box at Ford's Theater on April 14, 1865.

Or slipping some arsenic into one of Josef Stalin's drinks when he was a young terrorist.

Or slipping a rattlesnake into the prison cell holding Adolf Hitler after the Beer Hall Putsch. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 02:20:24 AM »

Something all Zionists ought to consider is that eliminating Hitler would mean no Israel today and Zionists would be deservedly regarded as a bunch of kooks. Fair trade off? Sadly many probably wouldn't think so.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »

Something all Zionists ought to consider is that eliminating Hitler would mean no Israel today and Zionists would be deservedly regarded as a bunch of kooks. Fair trade off? Sadly many probably wouldn't think so.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 11:26:09 PM »

I am satisfied that vibrant Jewish communities scattered all over Europe in every large city and many small ones would have been more than adequate compensation. In view of he great achievements of European Jews in the century before the Holocaust, Europe would be less of a cultural fossil.

It wasn't so much the Nazis that made Israel necessary; it was the commies taking over central Europe. Hostile to both capitalism on any scale (which meant that Jewish entrepreneurs would not get their businesses back and would end up destitute) and to  religion in any form, Jews found themselves with no prospect of lives anything like the pre-Holocaust existence. If they would not be murdered, their distinction from other peoples would likewise disappear in the commie states. 

Heck, murder is always absolutely wrong and the avenging time traveler would have much to account for if caught.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2023, 06:46:03 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2023, 06:50:09 AM by Meclazine »

Like killing Hitler in a trench during during WW1.

Hitler In The Trenches

https://www.facebook.com/reel/2333679113472720
Jim Crow
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2023, 11:23:03 AM »

No because then we'd disrupt the course of time and something even worse might happen.  These things need to be thought through.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies