Executive Officer of Chicago Urban League Looking at Burris's Seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:54:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Executive Officer of Chicago Urban League Looking at Burris's Seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Executive Officer of Chicago Urban League Looking at Burris's Seat  (Read 629 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »

Probably the last thing embattled U.S. Sen. Roland Burris needs now is for another prominent African-American to make a move on his Senate seat. But that's exactly what's happening.

Confirming political rumors, Cheryle Jackson, the president and chief executive officer of Chicago Urban League, says "I am considering a race" for the Senate seat now held by Mr. Burris.

"Given the economic crisis, I have to consider what I can bring to the table," Ms. Jackson said in an interview Wednesday. Whether she actually runs depends on where she concludes she can best pursue "my passion" of spurring economic development, she added.

Ms. Jackson, 44, has been at the Urban League almost three years. She has pursued economic issues such as leveraging the proposed 2016 Olympics to spur inner-city development, built relations with women's groups and been a solid fundraiser, pulling in $1.9 million for the organization's annual dinner last November.

Previously, she worked as national director of state and local affairs at Amtrak, and as the first press secretary to Gov. Rod Blagojevich. But Ms. Jackson never was considered in the Blagojevich inner circle, and left in his first term.

Ms. Jackson's name had been bandied about in the media as a possible Senate pick last fall. But it is unknown if she was seriously considered by Mr. Blagojevich.

Ms. Jackson's comments, in two phone calls, are only the latest sign that Mr. Burris' political backing is crumbling, even among his home community.

The Jackson move is the second of its type in recent weeks, and perhaps signals a generational shift in which younger African-Americans are willing to take on, rather than defer, to entrenched incumbents who have run into difficulty. Earlier, Ald. Toni Preckwinkle (4th) announced that she is preparing to run for Cook County Board president, a post now held by Todd Stroger.

It is unclear how the shift will be received by black voters. But the prospective Jackson candidacy is getting a green light from one key figure, state Sen. James Meeks, D-Chicago.

I think [Mr. Burris'] story keeps changing minute by minute," Mr. Meeks said in a phone interview, referring to the controversy over how Mr. Burris got the Senate pick.  "Roland Burris didn't win the seat (at the polls). He's fair game."

Also considering running is Illinois Treasurer Alexis Giannoulias.

Meanwhile, Mr. Burris is due to give what likely be a well-attended luncheon speech to the City Club of Chicago on Wednesday.  I'll let you know what he said in a post after the event.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/article.pl?page_id=2308&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog:1daca073-2eab-468e-9f19-ec177090a35cPost:e3a2837d-11c4-40f0-aab2-7effa7e8169e&sid=sitelife.chicagobusiness.com
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies