California Republican state Senators sack leader for compromising
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:13:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Republican state Senators sack leader for compromising
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: California Republican state Senators sack leader for compromising  (Read 7271 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »

There was a compromise hammered out between Arnold, and the Democratic and Republican legislature leaders. While enough Assembly Republicans are predicted to support their leader and vote for the compromise, the Senate Republicans don't seem to be yielding the 3 votes needed for the BS 2/3rd majority to pass a budget. And in the middle of the night, they sacked their leader.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-budget18-2009feb18,0,2637442.story
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:55:51 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2009, 12:58:47 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Now they're set to to reconvene at 10pm. Our state legislature is in bizarro-land lately.

Edit: Make that 11pm.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:03:08 AM »

Umm... wow. I sort of expected it to be an exaggeration, but they did actually oust their leader for trying to solve the problem. That can't exactly endear the California GOP to anyone.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:11:52 AM »

Umm... wow. I sort of expected it to be an exaggeration, but they did actually oust their leader for trying to solve the problem. That can't exactly endear the California GOP to anyone.

Well, it endears it to the staunch fiscal/economic conservatives that basically elect most, though not all, of the CA senate minority. But as to the median voter (or any sort of external group of voters) who'd the senate GOP would need to get anywhere close to controlling the chamber...epic fail.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:18 AM »

With this latest development the state legislature is heading into Mad Max territory.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:23:25 AM »

Well, it endears it to the staunch fiscal/economic conservatives that basically elect most, though not all, of the CA senate minority. But as to the median voter (or any sort of external group of voters) who'd the senate GOP would need to get anywhere close to controlling the chamber...epic fail.

They don't care, they weren't going to win it back any time soon. But they will manage to keep the 14 Senators or 27 Assemblymen that they need to have a say in the budget, and most of their members are hardcore anti-tax extremists. The state party endorsed the wacko Prop. 90, which would have essentially abolished zoning.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:29:19 AM »

They don't care, they weren't going to win it back any time soon. But they will manage to keep the 14 Senators or 27 Assemblymen that they need to have a say in the budget, and most of their members are hardcore anti-tax extremists. The state party endorsed the wacko Prop. 90, which would have essentially abolished zoning.

So what exactly are they trying to accomplish?

Merely object for the ideological sake of objecting?  Actually get cuts in the budget (which the average Californian/and their Democratic legislator wouldn't go for?)?  Get public sympathy?

I mean theres a chance their grandstanding could get some concessions (assuming one or two don't break from the pack) but do they have any real desire other than to constitute just enough seats to block things per your amendment?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:35:16 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2009, 01:37:23 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

So what exactly are they trying to accomplish?

Merely object for the ideological sake of objecting?  Actually get cuts in the budget (which the average Californian/and their Democratic legislator wouldn't go for?)?  Get public sympathy?

I mean theres a chance their grandstanding could get some concessions (assuming one or two don't break from the pack) but do they have any real desire other than to constitute just enough seats to block things per your amendment?

The bill is already a compromise, huge spending cuts, and a $1 billion corporate tax cut. It has the support of enough Republicans in the Assembly, the former Republican Senate leader, and one other Republican. There are 2 wavering Republicans who are blackmailing the state, while the other 12 of the 16 Senate Republicans are hardcore ideologues here. One of those wavering Republicans has to be bought off for the budget to pass.

California needs a 2/3rds majority to pass a budget, so actually Arnold's support is irrelevant. He doesn't seem to be too effective at getting support in his own party, either.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:43:52 AM »

A 2/3 supermajority to get things done could be good in the right circumstances, but in a state like ours with the parties far left and far right, it's impasse city.

I think we might have a budget, guys! Democratic leaders gave in to Abel Maldonado's demands for open primaries, and not giving lawmakers salaries when the budget is late. Unfortunately, some Democrats accuse this of being a ploy to help Maldonado's political future, and may not support the deal anymore.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-budget20-2009feb20,0,5263469.story

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »

...whistling through the graveyard...

"Hey, look!  There's a skeleton dancing around near the cliff over there."
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »

I wonder how many people moved to CA from NY 30 years ago and are know starting to wondering "How the hell did I get back in NY, WWhat happened to the paradise I moved into 30 years ago". Cheesy
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:38:12 PM »

I wonder how many people moved to CA from NY 30 years ago and are know starting to wondering "How the hell did I get back in NY, WWhat happened to the paradise I moved into 30 years ago". Cheesy

And I am sure those fukcers voted for prop 13 and other bullsh**t prop measures. They have no one but themselves to blame.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »

And I am sure those fukcers voted for prop 13 and other bullsh**t prop measures. They have no one but themselves to blame.

Your probably right but I have no idea what prop 13 is. You guys have so many of the damn things its hard to keep track. CA really needs to change its propositions system to prevent the voting in of large spending measures that way or tie them to hikes in sales taxes or something to make them thing a little more about it. Some long term plan has to enacted or CA is going to start having a mass exodus out of the state to the states of the  mountain west.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »

Prop 13 is the most epic disasters of all state propositions.  I've ranted about it plenty enough however.  But long story short it's why our state economy is failing, communities are forced to overdevelop, and inner city schools are underfunded.  Google it, there's only one Prop 13.  It's the height of why we need representative democracy and not motherf'n direct democracy.  It addressed some serious issues (our tax system was pretty faulty and hurting people) but by slapping on a poisonous band-aid
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »

Budget passed, California gave in to some serious blackmail. It's pretty obvious that the 2/3rds requirement has to go. What's weird is that it still needed 27 even though there's only 39 Senators thanks to a vacancy (Democratic seat).
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 10:42:06 PM »

Here's the low-down on the new primary system. It's basically the same as Washington's.

RBH

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 02:39:03 AM »

Oh good lord.. that's going to make future gubernatorial elections a lot of fun
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 02:42:01 AM »

Oh good lord.. that's going to make future gubernatorial elections a lot of fun

Hey, we already had one with 135 candidates on the ballot, and another 28 write-ins, plus the guy being recalled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_California_recall
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 02:45:16 AM »

Tony Strickland is a douche.
Kevinstat

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2009, 09:56:23 PM by Kevinstat »

Here's the low-down on the new primary system. It's basically the same as Washington's.

If that was still the latest Supreme Court precedent, then wouldn't the lower federal court decision nullifying the "top two" primary in Washington State have been upheld?  Perhaps the only "vote tests" that count as petitions anymore are those based on previous elections, like the percentage of the vote a party's candidate for Governor or President must get for a party to have official ballot status for the next biennial election (can that be higher than 5%?).

I agree that the restrictions on a candidate's choice of party preference listing (beyond barring an obscene designation or the like) should be nullified, however.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 10:42:30 PM »

Why are states switching to the Louisiana method of primary elections that even Louisiana gave up?
Kevinstat

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:07 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2009, 11:59:58 PM by Kevinstat »

Why are states switching to the Louisiana method of primary elections that even Louisiana gave up?

Doesn't Lousiana still use the "jungle primary" (a little different than the method described above, btw, as a candidate who gets a majority of the vote in a Lousiana primary is elected without the need for a runoff, so you aren't necessarily just narrowing the field to the two candidates with the most votes in the primary) for its state-level (Gubernatorial, Legislative, etc.) elections (and perhaps some/all other non-federal ones, I'm not sure)?

Edited to add text in red.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 11:51:27 PM »

Doesn't Lousiana still use the "jungle primary" (a little different than the method described above, btw, as a candidate who gets a majority of the vote in a Lousiana primary is elected without the need for a runoff, so you aren't necessarily just narrowing the field to the two candidates with the most votes in the primary)?

Louisiana got rid of the jungle primary for federal races. This Proposition, which will be on the June 2010 ballot, would include all partisan races except for President.
Kevinstat

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 11:57:27 PM »

Yeah I meant to say for just state-level elections, although some/all parish or local elections might use the jungle primary too, I'm not sure.  Thanks for the info about the proposed scope of use of the top two primary in California, ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ . Smiley
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »

lol who needs the Bradley effect when you've got racist OC Republicans.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies