NY-Quinnipiac: Gillibrand (D) would lose Primary, but defeats King (R) in the GE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:37:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  NY-Quinnipiac: Gillibrand (D) would lose Primary, but defeats King (R) in the GE
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-Quinnipiac: Gillibrand (D) would lose Primary, but defeats King (R) in the GE  (Read 3422 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »

Sen. Gillibrand gets a 28 - 10 percent job approval rating, with 62 percent undecided. Similarly, she gets a 24 - 9 percent favorability with 65 percent who haven't heard enough.

A possible challenger in the 2010 Democratic primary for the U.S. Senate, U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, has a 24 - 9 percent favorability with 66 percent who haven't heard enough.

And U.S. Rep. Peter King, a possible 2010 Republican challenger for the Senate seat, has a 21 - 10 percent favorability, with 68 percent who don't know enough to decide.

Rep. McCarthy tops Sen. Gillibrand in a Democratic primary 34 - 24 percent, with 39 percent undecided.

In a general election matchup with Rep. King, Gillibrand is up 42 - 26 percent, with 28 percent undecided.

From February 10 - 15, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,065 New York State registered voters, with a margin of error of +/- 3.0 percentage points. The survey includes 450 Democrats with a margin of error of +/- 4.6 percentage points.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1318.xml?ReleaseID=1263
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »

Poll is worse than useless.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »

Do gun nuts still think McCarthy doesn't have a chance because she's supposedly a wacko who wants to take away your "babies"?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:07:35 AM »

She doesn't have a chance because she has a poor fundraising track record - being an  old crazy bat just adds to it

Maloney has a chance though (and she's not crazy even though she's just as liberal)
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »

She doesn't have a chance because she has a poor fundraising track record - being an  old crazy bat just adds to it

Maloney has a chance though (and she's not crazy even though she's just as liberal)

I expected a response from you and I knew exactly what you would say.  Doesn't this poll prove that she's not crazy though?  I'm not even a supporter of hers I just hate the attitude of gun nuts who think that anyone who is against guns is a "Crazy bat". 

And when exactly did being liberal become a bad thing?  I guess it is if you live in some crappy state, but definitely not here.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »

My point is that Maloney is just as liberal (which is a good thing in any Democratic primary) but actually could win even though I'm sure she has an identical attitude towards guns.  Thus I don't have a double standard but a single standard that says having money is important to win statewide in NY and one Carolyn has  it and the other doesn't.  The one that doesn't just happens to be a pro-war, old, dyslexic crazy person who doesn't even know what her own legislation does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:51:55 AM »

and yet she has more favorable ratings than Gillibrand. 

btw I've seen that video before and the guy that was asking the questions was a moron.  Money obviously matters but I wonder if you have ever heard Maloney speak.  She's my congresswoman and I have never voted for her.  The only reason she keeps winning and winning is because of that D next to her name.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 12:31:06 PM »

Yeah, this has to be one of the worst I've ever seen.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »

Doesn't this poll prove that she's not crazy though?

Perhaps you didn't actually read the poll results, as it proves as much about Carolyn McCarthy's sanity as Byron Dorgan's hair proves his youthfulness.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »

and yet she has more favorable ratings than Gillibrand. 

Their favorabilities look identical, and as if they are identically unknown. I'm surprised Gillibrand is polling the same as McCarthy when people really should know her better by now. I don't know what to make of the primary poll beyond the fact it is utterly useless.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »

Perhaps you didn't actually read the poll results, as it proves as much about Carolyn McCarthy's sanity as Byron Dorgan's hair proves his youthfulness.

There is no need for a condescending attitude because it certainly doesn't make your arguments any stronger.

I did read it of course and what it tells us is that those who know her have a favorable opinion of her and those who know both her and Gillibrand would rather vote for her.  What's so difficult to understand about that?  It might be a small sample, but those who replied and expressed an opinion obviously know of the stance the two candidates have on the issue.

The fact remains that all the gun nuts here dismiss anyone who is in favor of gun control and they call people like McCarthy every name in the book.  I don't think McCarthy will run, but some of them (the gun nuts) need to realize that not everyone will agree with them and opposing the usage of guns doesn't automatically make you a "crazy bat".
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 02:02:35 PM »

It sounds like Gillibrand keeps evolving:
ARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. — Now that Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand represents all of New York rather than one conservative swath outside Albany, she has described her shift on hot-button issues like illegal immigration and gay marriage as a broadening of her position.

But in the 20th Congressional District, which first sent Ms. Gillibrand to Washington in 2006, many are taking it as an abandonment of the principles that persuaded them to support a Democrat in this predominantly Republican area.

“I don’t think it’s right when you say one thing and do something else,” said Michelle Boyea, 44, as she sat in her car after running errands around town. If you have a position, and this is what you feel, why would you change it just because you got a new job?”

Ms. Boyea was unhappy with Ms. Gillibrand’s sudden change of heart, after being appointed to the Senate, on issues that had won her re-election in November. She liked the voting record that had earned Ms. Gillibrand a 100 percent rating by the National Rifle Association (Ms. Boyea’s husband owns several firearms). She approved of Ms. Gillibrand’s hard line against illegal immigration and her opposition to gay marriage. “I’m Catholic,” Ms. Boyea said.

But Ms. Gillibrand has softened some of her positions in the weeks since her appointment. She declared her support for gay marriage, not merely civil unions. She assured Latinos and Asians in New York City that she would work to enact a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants. And she let Senator Charles E. Schumer, who had enthusiastically supported her selection, reassure downstate voters that she would “evolve” on gun control, too.

By 2010 she will be in line with McCarthy on the gun issue.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 02:05:18 PM »

There is no need for a condescending attitude because it certainly doesn't make your arguments any stronger.

Don't take life so seriously.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »

It's still kind of funny to see if nothing else.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »

And McCarthy's not a liberal at all. The only reason she's even a Democrat is because the GOP wouldn't give her the nomination during her first run for Congress. I have no idea why Democrats would want her as their nominee unless gun control was their only issue.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 04:52:28 PM »

Not to sound like a broken record, but...

McCarthy has explicitly said that she will challenge Gillibrand ONLY if nobody else does it.
So, if Maloney enters the fray, as it seems probable now, then McCarthy will support her and will not run.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:31:41 AM »

Do gun nuts still think McCarthy doesn't have a chance because she's supposedly a wacko who wants to take away your "babies"?

Do "anti-gun nuts" still think calling people who believe in the right to keep and bear arms "gun nuts" isn't offensive?

The fact is that McCarthy is a strident, one-issue politician.  Maloney may hold many of the same positions, but she doesn't come across as shrill and is a better fund raiser.

And when exactly did states become "crappy" just because a majority of citizens don't agree with you politically?   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies