What is God?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:22:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What is God?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What is God?  (Read 7721 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »

Any ideas?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:44:08 PM »

Allow Google Image Search to help you!

Option A

Option B

Option C

Option D

Option E

I hope that answers your questions.  All of them.  I will assume it does.
Daniel Plainview
John P
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:10:26 PM »

There is no God, only some sort of amorphous entiety which doesn't interfere in human affairs but is the reason that we exist today
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:23:56 PM »

Fred Thompson. 6th image.

God is also homophobic, btw

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 11:05:03 PM »

I hope He has Morgan Freeman's voice.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:51:14 PM »

I hope so too, and you know what I think he does.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 12:01:31 AM »

What is God? Answer: God....
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »

Total number of decent answers thus far: 0
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:53:52 PM »

My definition: the laws that underpin the reality that is our universe. Those are the laws of mathematics, physics, and simple categorization. God is to be found in the Law of Binding Energy that sets iron as the low point of potential energy so that some magnetic elements can form, but that such troublesome elements such as arsenic, selenium, bromine, and krypton (the latter would suffocate a planet by shoving lighter gases into the upper atmosphere of a planet) are scarce. Without iron, mammalian blood would not form, and a no planet would have a magnetic field capable of driving off the high-powered radiation that would cook life on a planet close enough to a star to be warm enough to have biochemistry -- let alone the copper and zinc necessary for technology.  I find God in the inverse square laws of gravitation and electromagnetism. I find God in the periodic law of chemical elements. I find God in the basic laws of arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. I find God in the laws of logic that allow the Universe to make sense.

Above all I find a God merciful enough to allow intelligent life capable of questioning how the universe operates itself the result of a finely-tuned universe. I don't know... do you -- could God have played dice with universes dissimilar to ours and found them unsettling, only to settle on ours? Maybe it isn't a perfect Universe, but God must find this one, or at least our species -- at least as fascinating at times as it can be appalling.     
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »

The omniscient mind whose laws all matter obeys.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 06:33:32 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2009, 06:38:28 PM by jmfcst »

He is an eteral spirit being that is all powerfully, all knowing, omnipresent, and the creator of all things.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »

He is an eteral spirit being that is all powerfully, all knowing, omnipresent, and the creator of all things.

Jmf and I actually agree on something... except his spelling of "eternal".
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:20 AM »

Don't believe in a personal God, like the God portrayed in the monotheistic religions,  an overarching supernatural and divine personage.  I'm more sympathetic to Asian naturalistic conceptions of the sacred, such as brahman of the Hindu Upanisads or the dao of Daoism.  But, if God is to be described as the creator of all life on earth, then the closest thing we have to God in the modern scientific worldview is DNA polymerase.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »

Beyond human comprehension.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »

a side effect of the human evolutionary capability of introspection.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2009, 07:01:31 PM by Alcon »

Isn't certainty that something is beyond human comprehension sort of self-contradicting?

If you accept that a property of an entity is inability to be comprehended by humans, then that basically constitutes a concession that such an entity's existence would also not necessarily be observable.  So treating it as a certainty does not seem rational.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2009, 12:40:18 AM by Eraserhead »

A creation of the human mind. It is used to explain away various complicated issues by simple people.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 10:08:13 PM »

It  is used to explain away various complicated issues by simple people.

Very kind. Tolerant, too.

I'm sure this type of attitude doesn't contribute at all to the conflicts between the religious and non-religious.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:08:41 PM »

I'm sure this type of attitude doesn't contribute at all to the conflicts between the religious and non-religious.

Even so, you can not deny that the invocation of God has come in rather handy for many a crackpot and wannabe despot over the course of history.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 12:01:33 AM »

Even so, you can not deny that the invocation of God has come in rather handy for many a crackpot and wannabe despot over the course of history.

Even so, you can not deny that religion has been incorrectly used as a reason for many of the worlds problems.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:51 AM »

Even so, you can not deny that religion has been incorrectly used as a reason for many of the worlds problems.

That is equally true. I do not doubt that religion has been scapegoated for many problems that it did not cause. I do not doubt that religion can be a force for good.

I am merely making the point that religion has its inate flaws and that pointing them out is not intolerance, even if it was worded harshly and rather smugly.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 01:59:53 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2009, 02:12:58 AM by anvikshiki »

I do have to say here that, even though I am not a fan of monotheistic religions anymore, and I agree that religions have been used to justify incredible violence and injustice in history and now, I've also been witness to what good such faiths can do.  A few years ago, I attended an international conference on peace studies, and there were hundreds of deeply religious activists there who put their lives on the line every day to try to stop fighting in so many perilous regions in the world, Israeli Jews and Palastinian Muslims, Hindus and Indian Muslims and Indian Christians, Indonesian Muslims and Christians too.  They found themselves on battlefields, beaten, imprisoned, often in mortal danger, and what gave them their strength was their faith in what they believe to be God.  Their strength is a strength I gravely doubt I could ever have.  So, I myself cannot bring myself to believe in such things as monotheists do, and I recognize clearly that religion has been put to the service of evil.  But I have also seen how real faith, not fake faith or superficial faith, can be put to the serivice of almost superhuman good, and I can't help but feel enormous respect for people who have such faith and put it to such service.   
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 08:05:45 AM »

Isn't certainty that something is beyond human comprehension sort of self-contradicting?

No. I don't see why it should be either; you can easily acknowledge the existence of something while admitting that you will never be able to understand it anything more than an extremely basic level.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That depends what you mean by "observable", doesn't it. But, then again, I wasn't really thinking of observation.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course it isn't rational. I never claimed it to be rational. Rationality is a human concept anyway; an attempt to impose order (as we see it anyway) on chaos. Not that that's necessarily or always a bad thing. Many good things have come from it. It's just we should be more aware of its limits than we generally are; rationality does not (and obviously does not) have an objective existence.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 08:11:28 AM »

I am merely making the point that religion has its inate flaws and that pointing them out is not intolerance, even if it was worded harshly and rather smugly.

Everything we do has inate flaws. Religion is, in this respect and many others, no different from other human institutions.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »

No. I don't see why it should be either; you can easily acknowledge the existence of something while admitting that you will never be able to understand it anything more than an extremely basic level.

The very concession that humans are unable to empirically observe a phenomenon means they are not omniscient, and therefore are not capable of transcending their ability to observe.  You can acknowledge anything you want, but it is done through that lens.  Therefore, it is no less fallible than any other empirical observation you make -- owing to the complexity of the issue, I'd argue more.

This is essentially the problem I have with both hard theism and hard atheism, but the former is more common.

That depends what you mean by "observable", doesn't it. But, then again, I wasn't really thinking of observation.

Then, other than observation, how did you reach the conclusion you stated?

Of course it isn't rational. I never claimed it to be rational. Rationality is a human concept anyway; an attempt to impose order (as we see it anyway) on chaos. Not that that's necessarily or always a bad thing. Many good things have come from it. It's just we should be more aware of its limits than we generally are; rationality does not (and obviously does not) have an objective existence.

That is a somewhat impotent definition of rationality.  "1=1" is not an "attempt to impose order"; in fact, I would as go as far as to argue that it is objective.  Could our sense of what is objective be incorrect?  Yes, but that does not mean we should assume that such an observed phenomenon is subjective.  That does not follow under any sense of rationality.

There are, I'll concede, other levels on which our "rationality" is a cultural construct, but I am not talking about those.

Everything we do has inate flaws. Religion is, in this respect and many others, no different from other human institutions.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we should ignore the flaws in other human institutions.  I would also argue that religion receives special treatment unlike any other human institution, though, so in that sense it's "different."
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies